Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

41 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I would base it on potential and he has UCF in the top 20, so it's not unrealistic he's a top 20 head coach.  

Frost would be in my top 3, but lets compare MR and Frost for their first two years at their most recent HC job.

Year1: Frost inherits a 0-12 team and goes 6-7. Nice turn around, but can Frost win championships?

MR inherits a 9-3 team and goes 6-7. MR made the team worse, but in year 1, Frost and MR have the same record.

Year2: Frost is undefeated after 6 games and ranked in the top 20.

MR is undefeated and ranked in the top 20.

This purely for fun. Obviously the undefested Huskers looked bad last year; scraping by poor teams. Frost currently has the largest point differential in football. I doubt UCF ends up losing 4 games this year. Frost was also successful everywhere he has been. MR not so much.

1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

How many years of college HC experience does Kelly even have?  3 or 4?  He's like the Jon Gruden of college football.  People talk like he's Saban and he's as fresh a HC as Frost.

Trust me buddy, I prefer Frost too. However, since he is already under contract, the financial burden might push the administration to go after a coach that is available. I am just picturing scenarios. My vote is for Frost all the way. But if Frost is not being considered, I would take Chip Kelly over what w shave right now. It is as if we do not have coaches right now. These coaches will be crushed by Purdue in two weeks because they are clueless.

Just now, huskerfan74 said:

Trust me buddy, I prefer Frost too. However, since he is already under contract, the financial burden might push the administration to go after a coach that is available. I am just picturing scenarios. My vote is for Frost all the way. But if Frost is not being considered, I would take Chip Kelly over what w shave right now. It is as if we do not have coaches right now. These coaches will be crushed by Purdue in two weeks because they are clueless.

Picking a coach because he doesn't have a gig is going to pour gas on the dumpster fire.

We don't need Chip Kelly or Les Miles.  I go after that kid at Iowa State before I started with those two.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, brownNgold said:

Yes he is horrible, don't even look at his resume after 2001

Hey, I’m not saying he is horrible or even a bad coach. I realize he had some success at NDSU. But he hasn’t really done anything at Wyoming and, being in the stands at Boulder in 2001, I can say he had no clue as a DC on how to slow them down and didn’t even attempt any adjustments. If he makes the top ten considerations list for Nebraska, the list sucks. We have to shoot much much higher IMO.

2 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Don't worry too much about any current coach being under contract.  Everyone knows those contracts are made to be broken.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, unlfan said:

I agree with this, but that is almost par for the coach this day and age. Look at Tom Herman. Guy was a head coach for 2 years outside of the power 5 and landed the Texas job.

NCAA head coaches have become just like NFL QBs. Save for about 10 or 15 programs, almost all power 5 programs would fire their coach tomorrow if the next bright star would accept an offer. Just the world we live in today.

My point is Kelly isn't elite so let's just stop talking like he is.  He exposed a weak PAC10, that played no defense, and it worked out good for him.  New styles and coaches in that conference have normalized the ducks.

He might be a great coach, but his resume isn't over the top in my opinion.

Edited by gobiggergoredder
Just now, unlfan said:

Im agreeing with you that his resume is not necessarily elite, he had a really good 4 year run.

However, what programs are hiring proven elite winners? Almost none because there are so few of them and they stay put for the most part.

Any slight sign of sustained success, or the potential of sustained success, will make you a highly desired coach that people will freak out about.

I want a builder, not a flash in the pan....

They are out there.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

My point is Kelly isn't elite so let's just stop talking like he is.  He exposed a weak PAC10, that played no defense, and it worked out good for him.

He might be a great coach, but his resume isn't over the top in my opinion.

I would go bonkers for him but I do agree that he really was able to eat up the Pac10 for certain reasons.

26 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I have a very strange feeling that this hire was meant for us to hire Chip Kelly as HC. He is available and will jump on the opportunity to coach a power five team. Keep in mind that the word power being used with our current team is an insult to the concept of power.

Chip Kelly is available and not tied to any team and many teams will be looking for coaches by end of this season. I feel that the administration moved fast so that they can line up Chip Kelly, especially with this new AD being a PAC12  product. 

Thoughts?

He will speak with Chip who will tell us to offer Frost. TO will tell him to hire Frost too. That is how we will get Frost. Frost runs a more hat on hat blocking scheme compared to Chip's zone blocking. Otherwise it is the same offense. 

1 minute ago, unlfan said:

Im with you.

But, I think its fair to say that our standards are "be competitive in the west annually, win the division on a semi regular basis, and win the conference every now and then"

What coach that has built a program to that level would take the Nebraska job? Any examples? I can't think of any.

So anybody we will hire is either going to be a (1) hot up and comer, (2) an established coach with sub par results, or (3) a coach that had that kind of success for a limited time. I'd take options (1) and (3). Not (2).

It's going to be impossible to lure someone that has built a program like Nebraska.  James Fraklin comes to mind.  I only point that out because he's proven it's doable.

Franklin was at Vanderbilt.  That is the extent of his HC experience.  For some reason, everyone leaves Bill O'Brien out of PSU discussion, but he really started PSUs turn around.  Also, no HC experience.

Id take PJ Fleck, Jeff Brohm, Matt Campbell.  Hell, I'd even consider Mike McIntyre even though he's struggling.  Mike Leach has built two programs from nothing.

They are out there.  I still want Frost though.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, unlfan said:

All good candidates, but Chip Kelly's resume is more impressive than all of those candidates, except for possibly Franklin. We have no ability to poach Franklin anyways.

I'm not saying Chip Kelly would be the best coach out of that group (its all a crap shoot), just trying to explain why posters would consider him a "slam dunk / home run hire".

We will have to agree to disagree.

My whole point is he is far far from a slam dunk.  This program needs a CEO, not a gimmick offense based around a track team.