Keep the Kids at Home

BIG ERN

I know the in-state talent at Nebraska isn't the best, but when you run a stylistic scheme that fits your region, you will get more out of Nebraska than what we have lately. We will not be able to get top tier skill position players. We can however get some good base players - TE, DL , LB OL. There is such a thing as great college players - doesn't mean they will go onto the NFL and do anything, and I am way more than okay with that as long as we start winning football games. The only argument some other "greatest of all-time teams" have over Nebraska is 'Look at their great NFL player careers'. I'm okay with Turner Gill, Tommie Frazier, Terrell Farley, Eric Crouch, Trev Alberts etc. etc.

I would really like to get back to the Dual Threat QB in our offense. We don't need to run the triple-option nor do we need to think we are USC of the B10. Find a middle ground where the QB can keep the defense honest enough with his feet. And for the love of all things find a toughness to a defense that can stop the run game. 

Just ran through quick to see if there are any other Nebraska kids who went elsewhere currently doing well. 

Nick Deluca (NDSU) Finished second in voting for MVFC Defensive Player of the Year. The only FCS player nominated for the Butkus Award last year. Omaha, NE

Christian LaCouture (LSU) A three-year starter on one of the top defenses in the country. Currently has 45 tackles and 4 sacks this season. Lincoln, NE

Nathan Bazata (Iowa) A three-year starter on one of the top defenses in the B10. 28 tackles and 2 sacks last season Howells, NE

Casey Sayles (Ohio) Finished his career with 110 tackles, 19 TFL and 11.5 sacks Omaha, NE

Harrison Phillips (Stanford) Hampered with injuries he still finished strong with 10.5 sacks his last two seasons Omaha, NE

Easton Stick (NDSU) Currently has  70% passing percentage, 12 TD 0 INT leading the Bison to a 6-0 start Omaha, NE

RJ Urzendowski (NDSU) Looks to lead the Bison for a third straight year in receiving. Currently has 19 TD catches in his career Omaha, NE

CJ Johnson (Wyoming) Currently has 7 TD receptions in two seasons under Bohl Bellevue, NE

Youhanna Ghaifan (Wyoming) In his sophomore season he currently has 34 tackles and 3 sacks Grand Island, NE

Noah Fant (Iowa) Currently has 3 TD catches in his sophomore campaign Omaha, NE

• Plus1 8

5 minutes ago, The Maudfather said:

Christian LaCouture needs an asterisk. He transferred to Nebraska for his senior season and was, at one point, a Husker commit.  

I never said these kids weren't pursued by coaches, or grew up in Nebraska their whole life. They graduated HS in NE is all 

9 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

OK but that isn't a lot of FBS players.  I think we do pretty well keeping a high percentage of the best in state talent.

Do we though? And considering how these Nebraska kids have done well elsewhere, is our valuation of what is the 'best' in-state talent flawed somewhat?

I'm not trying to be flippant here, btw--it's just that we've heard ad nauseam that the best Nebraska teams were local kids anchoring the team peppered with talent from across the nation. (Paraphrasing here). It seems we may have gotten away from that, which may be part of the reason our program is seeing the problems it currently has. 

Edited by VectorVictor
  • Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

The "Norris Kid" is Brendan Stai's son.  Strong connections to those at Ohio.  As an ex Husker player, would you send your kid to NU right now?

If there's a new coach whose last name is 'Frost'...yeah. :D

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I know the in-state talent at Nebraska isn't the best, but when you run a stylistic scheme that fits your region, you will get more out of Nebraska than what we have lately. We will not be able to get top tier skill position players. We can however get some good base players - TE, DL , LB OL. There is such a thing as great college players - doesn't mean they will go onto the NFL and do anything, and I am way more than okay with that as long as we start winning football games. The only argument some other "greatest of all-time teams" have over Nebraska is 'Look at their great NFL player careers'. I'm okay with Turner Gill, Tommie Frazier, Terrell Farley, Eric Crouch, Trev Alberts etc. etc.

I would really like to get back to the Dual Threat QB in our offense. We don't need to run the triple-option nor do we need to think we are USC of the B10. Find a middle ground where the QB can keep the defense honest enough with his feet. And for the love of all things find a toughness to a defense that can stop the run game. 

Just ran through quick to see if there are any other Nebraska kids who went elsewhere currently doing well. 

Nick Deluca (NDSU) Finished second in voting for MVFC Defensive Player of the Year. The only FCS player nominated for the Butkus Award last year. Omaha, NE

Christian LaCouture (LSU) A three-year starter on one of the top defenses in the country. Currently has 45 tackles and 4 sacks this season. Lincoln, NE

Nathan Bazata (Iowa) A three-year starter on one of the top defenses in the B10. 28 tackles and 2 sacks last season Howells, NE

Casey Sayles (Ohio) Finished his career with 110 tackles, 19 TFL and 11.5 sacks Omaha, NE

Harrison Phillips (Stanford) Hampered with injuries he still finished strong with 10.5 sacks his last two seasons Omaha, NE

Easton Stick (NDSU) Currently has  70% passing percentage, 12 TD 0 INT leading the Bison to a 6-0 start Omaha, NE

RJ Urzendowski (NDSU) Looks to lead the Bison for a third straight year in receiving. Currently has 19 TD catches in his career Omaha, NE

CJ Johnson (Wyoming) Currently has 7 TD receptions in two seasons under Bohl Bellevue, NE

Youhanna Ghaifan (Wyoming) In his sophomore season he currently has 34 tackles and 3 sacks Grand Island, NE

Noah Fant (Iowa) Currently has 3 TD catches in his sophomore campaign Omaha, NE

Noah Vedral went to UCF.  Saturday, he got in for mop-up duty as a true freshman.  He was 4-4 passing and had 4 rushes for 21 yards.

• Plus1 1

I had a quick look at the rosters of both South Dakota and South Dakota State, both top 25 FCS schools. SDSU has 20 players from Nebraska and USD has eight. I don't know if any of them are starters, but odds are that some of them are. If anything, some of them could probably at least add depth. 

7 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Do we though? And considering how these Nebraska kids have done well elsewhere, is our valuation of what is the 'best' in-state talent flawed somewhat?

Take a look at the number of players that have gone out of state at any roster.  It happens.  There are not 4 and 5 star players leaving the state as a rule.  I see kids from VA, NC, MD, GA and Penn who are legitimate blue chips snubbing their in state powers to go elsewhere.  You will not hit on every offer and recruiting is not an exact science.  But this is by no means towards the top of the list of things wrong.  I am sure if Frost gets the job, the fact he was from here and his recruiting style will attract most in state kids.  But sometimes you miss or one gets away from you.  Again, it happens in every state and often to a far larger degree than NE. 

1 minute ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

Edited by HuskerPowerVA
5 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

Take a look at the number of players that have gone out of state at any roster.  It happens.  There are not 4 and 5 star players leaving the state as a rule.  I see kids from VA, NC, MD, GA and Penn who are legitimate blue chips snubbing their in state powers to go elsewhere.  You will not hit on every offer and recruiting is not an exact science.  But this is by no means towards the top of the list of things wrong.  I am sure if Frost gets the job, the fact he was from here and his recruiting style will attract most in state kids.  But sometimes you miss or one gets away from you.  Again, it happens in every state and often to a far larger degree than NE. 

well when there are 100 players in florida the caliber of 3 players in Nebraska, you HAVE to get those 3 kids

3 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

You have to realize that Nebraska doesn't get a lot of kids who are offered from big time schools. VA has over 50 in-state kids who are at least a 2* for 18', Nebraska has 5!! Can't even comment on GA, their 50th rated player is probably better than our best kid out of HS. 

• Plus1 1

You also have to look at what scholarships were given instead of the local kids.  The out of state kid might have been a better player in HS, a better student more likely to stay in school, a better fit for the offense/defense.  It is not as simple as looking at all the kids who graduated a NE HS and seeing where they are now.  You also have to consider how the athlete who was given the offer is doing.  We tend to over simply things here and it does become comical.