Keep the Kids at Home

BIG ERN

Is it possible that the ones playing at NDSU and Ohio are exactly where they need to be and that their talents wouldn't translate to the Big 10?  I saw the 2 kids from Prep plus CJ Johnson play while they were in High School and I wouldn't have pegged them for Big 10 caliber players. 

Fant is a complete miss on Nebraska's part by the way.

Also aren't all these guys going to school for free?  If so most guys now can't afford to walk on and pay for 4-5 years of school so they wouldn't come to Nebraska without a full ride.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

You also have to look at what scholarships were given instead of the local kids.  The out of state kid might have been a better player in HS, a better student more likely to stay in school, a better fit for the offense/defense.  It is not as simple as looking at all the kids who graduated a NE HS and seeing where they are now.  You also have to consider how the athlete who was given the offer is doing.  We tend to over simply things here and it does become comical. 

I'm not saying that we can build a national powerhouse out of all in-state players. I just think our current style of play will not get much out of in-state kids that is already lacking. 

I live in Iowa and people laughed when Kirk offered in-state Josey Jewell late...he was pegged to play at a bad D3 college...Next thing you know he is an All-American LB. Some of that has to do with coaching players up...something that has been missing the past few seasons 

Edited by BIG ERN

We used to get those players, even if they were just on the roster for practice or walk ons.  This why our passion and committment to excellence has wained for the last 14 years and counting.  They are not splash recruits, so no one wants them.  Vedral going to UCF says a lot.  Those others players say a lot.  Holtorf and Fant really speak volumes to how we have recruited.  Two starters on other power 5 rosters. Imagine how either one would look wearing Red.

Its not about being B1G talent.  Its about playing with something on your shoulder, no know that chip!  Thats what made this program what it was, and it will take that to get it over the top once again.  If we get some bulldozers up front that are good ol Nebraska boys once again, the skilled players will come once again.  Thats what this program strived on for decades.  Thats what Pederson thru away the minute he hired Callahan.  

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

We used to get those players, even if they were just on the roster for practice or walk ons.  This why our passion and committment to excellence has wained for the last 14 years and counting.  They are not splash recruits, so no one wants them.  Vedral going to UCF says a lot.  Those others players say a lot.  Holtorf and Fant really speak volumes to how we have recruited.  Two starters on other power 5 rosters. Imagine how either one would look wearing Red.

Used to in the operative word.  You cant compare years ago.  There USED to be more scholarships available.  There never USED to be as many schools that had money to offer scholarships.  Very few kids will walk on or be practice squad players when they have a full ride someplace else.  The JJ Watt stories are rare. 

Rozier, Frazier, Gill, Jones, Brown, Phillips, Green, Crouch and others were nothing without the lines we had, and many of those lineman were Nebraska products.  Many!  Its not about stars on the front of these guys names in the recruiting wars.  It about getting that talent that can improve, want to win here, and puts the N above all things else.  Thats what made us.  Thats what seperated us from alot of other talented teams in the 80's and 90's.  I wasn't 4 and 5 star recruits.  Miami(FL) and Florida St each time we played them in the 80's and 90's had more talent on its roster, but we found a way to compete with our boys.  We found a way to care more and want it more.  Remember Warren Sapp!  I will never forget  that image of him sucking on oxygen!  That was want to more than anything else.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Nebhawk said:

Rozier, Frazier, Gill, Jones, Brown, Phillips, Green, Crouch and others were nothing without the lines we had, and many of those lineman were Nebraska products.  Many!  Its not about stars on the front of these guys names in the recruiting wars.  It about getting that talent that can improve, want to win here, and puts the N above all things else.  Thats what made us.  Thats what seperated us from alot of other talented teams in the 80's and 90's.  I wasn't 4 and 5 star recruits.  Miami(FL) and Florida St each time we played them in the 80's and 90's had more talent on its roster, but we found a way to compete with our boys.  We found a way to care more and want it more.  Remember Warren Sapp!  I will never forget  that image of him sucking on oxygen!  That was want to more than anything else.

We all want that, but where are the O line prospects on this list we are passing on?  I think O line is the most likely position we find home grown talent.  However I am not seeing these linemen leave NE and go succeed elsewhere, unless I am missing something (I don't make a career out of this board so possibly I am).  

Because we are Nebraska, and we are where we are located, its takes more than just going out and recruiting the best recruits.  We are at an disadvantage.  Always have been.  Thats not changed.  There are over 50 recruits on each position that are really solid players.  Finding them, getting them here is the trick.  Building the pipeline is where we have to start no matter who is the next coaching staff.  

Holtorf, is a starter at KSU right now.  Noah Fant, although a tight end is a starter at Iowa.  Those are two players that are starters on Power 5 teams.  I would have to say that they would bolster our line and talent level from the start if here.  Fant is a very good blocking tight end, and believe it or not can catch a pass as well.  Sure, thats just two players, but that is a very important couple of players to miss on.

• Plus1 1

Easton Stick in High School was no better than Ryker Fife was in High School.  Stick is better for going to NDSU, I don't think it would be the same if he came to Nebraska.  IMO

People are chasing ghosts with these thoughts on getting guys to come here for free.  Serious question because I don’t remember.  How many of the starting OL from 93-97 were former walk-ons?  How many of them had free ride offers to other successful (but smaller) programs?

• Plus1 2