Keep the Kids at Home

BIG ERN

1 minute ago, Nebhawk said:

Holtorf, is a starter at KSU right now.  Noah Fant, although a tight end is a starter at Iowa.  Those are two players that are starters on Power 5 teams.  I would have to say that they would bolster our line and talent level from the start if here.  Fant is a very good blocking tight end, and believe it or not can catch a pass as well.  Sure, thats just two players, but that is a very important couple of players to miss on.

I don't think Fant ever really wanted to go to Nebraska. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

Easton Stick in High School was no better than Ryker Fife was in High School.  Stick is better for going to NDSU, I don't think it would be the same if he came to Nebraska.  IMO

People are chasing ghosts with these thoughts on getting guys to come here for free.  Serious question because I don’t remember.  How many of the starting OL from 93-97 were former walk-ons?  How many of them had free ride offers to other successful (but smaller) programs?

Agree to disagree; saw both of them live in HS, and thought Stick was the much, much better prospect. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Nebhawk said:

Holtorf, is a starter at KSU right now.  Noah Fant, although a tight end is a starter at Iowa.  Those are two players that are starters on Power 5 teams.  I would have to say that they would bolster our line and talent level from the start if here.  Fant is a very good blocking tight end, and believe it or not can catch a pass as well.  Sure, thats just two players, but that is a very important couple of players to miss on.

You are duck hunting with a rake if you think any school retains 100% of its in state players and every one of them is a hit.  I don't think most of you were recruited or played ball. High school to college predictions on development is very difficult outside of true blue chip talent (even then).  Bias for in state talent will give you as many of not more misses.  I get it, but when you only have so many scholarships these days thats the hard truth.

What about Kansas kids?  We used to go down there and raid the cupboards at will.  KSU and KU are struggling right now.  Wichita produces a lot of D-1 talent that goes to either Okie St or OU.  Sure, I  know not in the Big 12, but that really doesn't matter when your on TV across the nation and 4 hours away.

2 minutes ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

Easton Stick in High School was no better than Ryker Fife was in High School.  Stick is better for going to NDSU, I don't think it would be the same if he came to Nebraska.  IMO

People are chasing ghosts with these thoughts on getting guys to come here for free.  Serious question because I don’t remember.  How many of the starting OL from 93-97 were former walk-ons?  How many of them had free ride offers to other successful (but smaller) programs?

Why do you talk as if we couldn't offer a few more in-state kids? That was the whole point. Times have changed - some of the better kids in-state are going to want a scholarship. 

Historically, we have missed out on some good players, like Gale Sayers and Danny Woodhead. Maybe the walk-on program won't be anything like it was, but I think we should have at least offered some of these guys that are doing well in other schools - the problem is that we didn't even recruit them. If they are good football players and in Nebraska's borders, we should at least talk to them.

Edited by Jeremy
  • Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

You have to realize that Nebraska doesn't get a lot of kids who are offered from big time schools. VA has over 50 in-state kids who are at least a 2* for 18', Nebraska has 5!! Can't even comment on GA, their 50th rated player is probably better than our best kid out of HS. 

No we have Jurgens this year even Masry might be higher. 

18 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Why do you talk as if we couldn't offer a few more in-state kids? That was the whole point. Times have changed - some of the better kids in-state are going to want a scholarship. 

If the guy deserves an offer he should get one, that being said guys shouldn't get offers just because they are local either.  I just don't think every guy having success at a smaller school means they would be successful at Nebraska.  Maybe those players are just better suited to be playing at the places they are. 

24 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Agree to disagree; saw both of them live in HS, and thought Stick was the much, much better prospect. 

Maybe the two times I saw Stick play he was having an off night.  You could tell he was athletic but he got bailed out by Urzendowski a lot.  Like I said that could have just been the couple times I saw him. 

15 minutes ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

Maybe the two times I saw Stick play he was having an off night.  You could tell he was athletic but he got bailed out by Urzendowski a lot.  Like I said that could have just been the couple times I saw him. 

Could just be different strokes, different folks, too. 

• Plus1 1