Keep the Kids at Home

BIG ERN

Majority of Wisconsin's offensive lineman are from Wisconsin.  

There have been some pretty good lineman  have gone off to places like Wyoming or Ohio as of late. Kids Osborne likely would've taken but now we don't go after as hard because they may not be "tall enough".  Those kids are pretty much starting at those schools immediately.   Honestly I think Walker is going to be a good lineman for us and he was headed for Wyoming until the last moment.  Rush, Arnold and Stofer would've probably done just as well or if not better in the future than many of the lineman we currently have.

Edited by BartonHusker
  • Plus1 1

Yep.  I met an old timer at an auction in West Virginia a few weeks ago.  He grew up in Omaha.  We chatted for a long time about the Huskers and Barry Alvarez and he was saying the formula at Wisconsin is actually what Nebraska should be now and that is no surprise due to Barry of course.  The pipeline is no more.

I do think many forget that the amount of scholarships is a lot less (85) than years ago.  Coaches have to win quick or they get fired.  It makes it harder to take the kid who might just develop and you cant have as many misses.  I have other opinions on our O line development and strategy  but that is for another thread.  

Edited by HuskerPowerVA
3 hours ago, commando said:

how the hell  did you jump from us talking about nebraska kids playing well elsewhere to thinking we want to join the mac?

It isn't a jump at all since you guys are talking about letting mid level talent and D1-AA talent leave the state. 

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, commando said:

how the hell  did you jump from us talking about nebraska kids playing well elsewhere to thinking we want to join the mac?

Hate to put words in anyone's mouth, but he is maybe saying if we offered every Nebraska kid that might turn the corner we would be in a position in about 3 years that competing in the MAC would be a battle.  No knock on NU kids however they aren't all scholarship caliber and some want to use it as a chance to go experience another part of the united states.  They aren't all going to walk-on either with the opportunities at smaller schools and the cost of tuition.

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I know the in-state talent at Nebraska isn't the best, but when you run a stylistic scheme that fits your region, you will get more out of Nebraska than what we have lately. We will not be able to get top tier skill position players. We can however get some good base players - TE, DL , LB OL. There is such a thing as great college players - doesn't mean they will go onto the NFL and do anything, and I am way more than okay with that as long as we start winning football games. The only argument some other "greatest of all-time teams" have over Nebraska is 'Look at their great NFL player careers'. I'm okay with Turner Gill, Tommie Frazier, Terrell Farley, Eric Crouch, Trev Alberts etc. etc.

I would really like to get back to the Dual Threat QB in our offense. We don't need to run the triple-option nor do we need to think we are USC of the B10. Find a middle ground where the QB can keep the defense honest enough with his feet. And for the love of all things find a toughness to a defense that can stop the run game. 

Just ran through quick to see if there are any other Nebraska kids who went elsewhere currently doing well. 

Nick Deluca (NDSU) Finished second in voting for MVFC Defensive Player of the Year. The only FCS player nominated for the Butkus Award last year. Omaha, NE

Christian LaCouture (LSU) A three-year starter on one of the top defenses in the country. Currently has 45 tackles and 4 sacks this season. Lincoln, NE

Nathan Bazata (Iowa) A three-year starter on one of the top defenses in the B10. 28 tackles and 2 sacks last season Howells, NE

Casey Sayles (Ohio) Finished his career with 110 tackles, 19 TFL and 11.5 sacks Omaha, NE

Harrison Phillips (Stanford) Hampered with injuries he still finished strong with 10.5 sacks his last two seasons Omaha, NE

Easton Stick (NDSU) Currently has  70% passing percentage, 12 TD 0 INT leading the Bison to a 6-0 start Omaha, NE

RJ Urzendowski (NDSU) Looks to lead the Bison for a third straight year in receiving. Currently has 19 TD catches in his career Omaha, NE

CJ Johnson (Wyoming) Currently has 7 TD receptions in two seasons under Bohl Bellevue, NE

Youhanna Ghaifan (Wyoming) In his sophomore season he currently has 34 tackles and 3 sacks Grand Island, NE

Noah Fant (Iowa) Currently has 3 TD catches in his sophomore campaign Omaha, NE

we have tons of in state talent on our roster. you can't put every player in the state on our team.

4 hours ago, BartonHusker said:

Majority of Wisconsin's offensive lineman are from Wisconsin.  

There have been some pretty good lineman  have gone off to places like Wyoming or Ohio as of late. Kids Osborne likely would've taken but now we don't go after as hard because they may not be "tall enough".  Those kids are pretty much starting at those schools immediately.   Honestly I think Walker is going to be a good lineman for us and he was headed for Wyoming until the last moment.  Rush, Arnold and Stofer would've probably done just as well or if not better in the future than many of the lineman we currently have.

There's a post in the recruiting forum that debunks this, actually. It's a good real, Wisconsin OL Recruiting. They hit their 500 mile radius exceptionally well, but they often aren't the highest rated guys. Just have a good system in place. 

13 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I know the in-state talent at Nebraska isn't the best, but when you run a stylistic scheme that fits your region, you will get more out of Nebraska than what we have lately. We will not be able to get top tier skill position players. We can however get some good base players - TE, DL , LB OL. There is such a thing as great college players - doesn't mean they will go onto the NFL and do anything, and I am way more than okay with that as long as we start winning football games. The only argument some other "greatest of all-time teams" have over Nebraska is 'Look at their great NFL player careers'. I'm okay with Turner Gill, Tommie Frazier, Terrell Farley, Eric Crouch, Trev Alberts etc. etc.

I would really like to get back to the Dual Threat QB in our offense. We don't need to run the triple-option nor do we need to think we are USC of the B10. Find a middle ground where the QB can keep the defense honest enough with his feet. And for the love of all things find a toughness to a defense that can stop the run game. 

Just ran through quick to see if there are any other Nebraska kids who went elsewhere currently doing well. 

Nick Deluca (NDSU) Finished second in voting for MVFC Defensive Player of the Year. The only FCS player nominated for the Butkus Award last year. Omaha, NE

Christian LaCouture (LSU) A three-year starter on one of the top defenses in the country. Currently has 45 tackles and 4 sacks this season. Lincoln, NE

Nathan Bazata (Iowa) A three-year starter on one of the top defenses in the B10. 28 tackles and 2 sacks last season Howells, NE

Casey Sayles (Ohio) Finished his career with 110 tackles, 19 TFL and 11.5 sacks Omaha, NE

Harrison Phillips (Stanford) Hampered with injuries he still finished strong with 10.5 sacks his last two seasons Omaha, NE

Easton Stick (NDSU) Currently has  70% passing percentage, 12 TD 0 INT leading the Bison to a 6-0 start Omaha, NE

RJ Urzendowski (NDSU) Looks to lead the Bison for a third straight year in receiving. Currently has 19 TD catches in his career Omaha, NE

CJ Johnson (Wyoming) Currently has 7 TD receptions in two seasons under Bohl Bellevue, NE

Youhanna Ghaifan (Wyoming) In his sophomore season he currently has 34 tackles and 3 sacks Grand Island, NE

Noah Fant (Iowa) Currently has 3 TD catches in his sophomore campaign Omaha, NE

Keep them at home by running a system that gives them something to do and a chance to earn a scholarship.

From what they tell me, some high school stars lose interest after their first college hit while a low rated guy comes into his own.