Disappointed nothing changes till end of year

jauken

Here are my 2 cents.  I won't make it a secret.  I want Riley gone.  Most do.  I'll give Moos the benefit of the doubt about not firing anyone mid-season.  He is smarter than myself.  However my thoughts are:

1.  I would love to see how our team would re-act  rallying behind an interim hc.  I honestly think it would help our season.

2.  I think it helps recruiting.  This would be assuming it is a foregone conclusion that he is fired at the end of the season.  It allows us to get a coach in quicker, and start to salvage/work on the recruiting class.

3.  Slightly different note, but saying that firing a coach for performance related issues after 3 bad seasons  (yes, last year was bad, it was just disguised by wins, as crazy as that sounds) is not the worst thing ever.  People acting like we are firing coaches left and right.  Solich had 6 years, Callahan had 4, Pelini had 7.  Hardly a crazy rate of turn over.  Solich is the most questionable firing imo, but I won't get into that.  I'm not old enough to pretend to be super knowledgeable about it.

I will continue to cheer regardless, however I have little faith that our season can turn around.  (why would I).  

Seriously, what good does firing Riley right now do?  We end up with a team that's even less inspired, if that's possible, and an interim coach named Bob Diaco.  That does nothing to change our record on the season.  The fact that Riley hasn't fired any of his staff just tells me he knows his tenure is finished.

Change is coming.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, jauken said:

Trust me

You lose credibility saying that. When you say that, you're really saying you don't have the ability to substantiate because if you did, you would have said something other than "trust me". 

The fear is Moos is familiar with Riley and may be persuaded. I get that. That's balanced by the firing of the AD, the hiring of a new AD, and the surrounding talk of the football team's woes. Not a high probability you do all of that if you're looking for the status quo. Even in the scenario that Riley could talk his way out, it has to be backed up with results on the field. You, like everyone else, can click my name, see my previous posts, and see why I don't think that's going to happen.

I promise you that Hank Bounds and Ronnie Green and anyone in the room/ on the call when they interviewed Moos ran several hypothetical situations past Moos to see what his response and answers were. Moos is a smart man who has the track record to show major growth at both Oregon and Wash St. He is well aware of the situation he stepped into. So him saying he's not making changes mid-season is his way of saying "Okay, Riley.. You have the rest of the season to impress me and sell me your 'vision'. Let's see what ya got."

No brand new AD wants to make a fire/hire situation the first week on the job. So, Moos is really buying himself time to wrap his head around the situation and to fully prepare for the biggest coaching decision he will ever have to make. Moos understands Nebraska and us as fans so let's give him more than 24 hours before getting mad that we don't have a new head coach...

Maybe the question shouldn't be should we fire Riley now or later, (obviously he is finishing the season), but is Riley staying for another year?  Honestly, him staying scares me a bit.  I've been saying, "next year will be the turning point" since 2004.

Hopefully Moos is enough of a business man to make the hard call correctly.  I'll believe till he gives me reason to doubt.

Edit. @Throw Dem Bones you make some great points.  I agree with you 100%

Our season sucks, and lots of us want something to be excited about.  Searching for a new coach, exciting.  Watching Riley's press conferences after losing, not so much.

Edited by luckyduck
  • Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, brophog said:

You lose credibility saying that. When you say that, you're really saying you don't have the ability to substantiate because if you did, you would have said something other than "trust me". 

The fear is Moos is familiar with Riley and may be persuaded. I get that. That's balanced by the firing of the AD, the hiring of a new AD, and the surrounding talk of the football team's woes. Not a high probability you do all of that if you're looking for the status quo. Even in the scenario that Riley could talk his way out, it has to be backed up with results on the field. You, like everyone else, can click my name, see my previous posts, and see why I don't think that's going to happen.

I disagree.  Show me how this team will be better next year?  Show me how the schedule is easier next year than this one.  I have  tangible data (this year) and relational experience with Riley and his record hear and elsewhere of being a 500 coach.  Add the difficulty of next years schedule.  We are in for a long long year 

i respect your opinion just disagree with you

23 minutes ago, Redux said:

Seriously, what good does firing Riley right now do?  We end up with a team that's even less inspired, if that's possible, and an interim coach named Bob Diaco.  That does nothing to change our record on the season.  The fact that Riley hasn't fired any of his staff just tells me he knows his tenure is finished.

Change is coming.

Or even worse, Diaco reels off some wins and the administration thinks, "hey this could be our guy, he's familiar with players, made improvements, etc. etc.".

Just got to ride it out no matter how good, bad, or ugly.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, clyde40 said:

Or even worse, Diaco reels off some wins and the administration thinks, "hey this could be our guy, he's familiar with players, made improvements, etc. etc.".

Just got to ride it out no matter how good, bad, or ugly.

Yeah I made that point to some folks and was basically laughed at.  I don't want Diaco as our coach, ride Riley til end of year.

Edited by Redux

Nebraska, as much as I love them, is a joke in college football.  A meme for people to laugh at, a paper tiger. 

We we will not, cannot get better without a strong accountable leadership guy in charge. 

Our choices are stay with what you have and HOPE it gets better.  But results say that isn’t expected   

You our go with up and coming coach and truly rebuild    

you throw saban type money at David Shaw and pray he makes our team into what it used to be. I know Shaw won’t leave Stanford and I know NU won’t pay ridiculous money but that is what is needed to happen to make us relevant again. 

No you don’t have to rebuild.  This team has talent.  This state and its players have heart.  Strong leadership and a desire to give max effort is what is needed.  And when it doesn’t happen you make immediate change. 

I will gladly be Don Quixote and tilt at windmills because I fear what is to come.  If immediate Change is not made it will linger and fester into multiple recruiting cycles.  I respect if you disagree and hey I’ll freely admit if I’m wrong. 

The problem you ned to ask yourself is what if I’m right?? Hoping a problem goes away and ignoring it till later never works.  

For sake of Husker future.  I hope I’m wrong.  

Best case scenario is they tell us Riley is done at years end, the reason people want the firing midseason is because everyone is worried there is a chance he stays another year. Definitely don't think Moos comes into his introductory press conference and says he doesn't believe in mid-season firing then fires a guy 3 weeks later, that wouldn't look great on his part to start things off. Although many fans would rejoice, it may make other coaches or incoming coaches hesitant to believe a word he says.

12 minutes ago, huskerfan92 said:

I mean we even let Callahan finish out the year, so I really wasn't expecting Riley to be let go midseason. Patience grasshopper

The 2007 team at least had a shot at making a bowl. I truly don't think this team wins another game. I saw very little "want to" Saturday. 

• Plus1 1