Disappointed nothing changes till end of year

jauken

3 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

It depends on who the interim HC is. If we could get TO is finish the season as HC, it would do a lot for next year. teach the players some discipline and a winning attitude. 

Spoiler

TO doesn't run whatever they're calling the offense we currently have. It would just tarnish his legacy. 

• Plus1 1

This season is done for now.  The only hope is that we go to a bowl on the strength of our fan base that will travel.

The team does not need additional stress from firing the coaches now and the star players wondering if transferring might help them get to the pros.

I think the new AD should concentrate on hiring one of the coordinators from Wisconsin, Ohio State or Alabama.  We need someone who is on the way up.

28 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

It depends on who the interim HC is. If we could get TO is finish the season as HC, it would do a lot for next year. teach the players some discipline and a winning attitude. 

TO is 80.  That guy has given this University all he can.  Let his helping with the AD search be his final work (unless they ask for input on the next HC search).

Edited by Pedro Guerrero

Firing Riley sends 1 of 2 messages to the players, imo.

1. We've given up on this season; sooooooooo, yeah...

2. We're getting set to begin a new chapter in NU football history; you know it, we know it, and we're not gonna hide it. We want to get a jump start on the process; so lets get started in the right foot, boys... from here on out, we're 0-0.

I think the later is a tough sell; so, although I, too, was disappointed to hear there were no changes going to be made until season's end, I've come to believe that this may be the best course of action... Although part of me believes that Riley may be doing more harm than good in terms of player development; and I feel Diaco may better maximize player growth as interim.

16 minutes ago, URSS said:

This season is done for now.  The only hope is that we go to a bowl on the strength of our fan base that will travel.

The team does not need additional stress from firing the coaches now and the star players wondering if transferring might help them get to the pros.

I think the new AD should concentrate on hiring one of the coordinators from Wisconsin, Ohio State or Alabama.  We need someone who is on the way up.

What star players? There are some decent-good players on this roster, but we have no stars. I take that back, Morgan is a star, that guy fights through a lot and is our most reliable offensive player.

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

This gets really dicey for Moos if we win 4 of the last 5 (only losing to Penn St.).  If that saves Riley's job for a year, Frost may be coaching somewhere else when Riley gets fired next year.  This is, of course, assuming that Frost is even on Moos' short list.

I'm kind of surprised a reporter didn't ask if Frost was on his list when he was talking about the one he keeps in his top drawer. I could believe that his list doesn't include Frost and isn't considered simply because he's not on Moos's radar and nobody mentioned Frost to him. I know it sounds incredible but communication seems to be an issue back home sometimes because people are too nice. 

The ONLY thing firing your coach before the season is over does is it gives you the chance to get on the coaching search first.

Let's say the administration wants to go after and get Frost.  Let's also say that Tennessee and UCLA are in the same boat and it's going to be a battle between the three to get him.  

I want Nebraska to be the first program to get in touch with him and get the conversation started.  Now, I still don't expect anything to happen with Frost (or whomever we go after) till after the season, but, when that last second ticks off of their last game of the regular season, I want them to know we want them and the position is open.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The ONLY thing firing your coach before the season is over does is it gives you the chance to get on the coaching search first.

Let's say the administration wants to go after and get Frost.  Let's also say that Tennessee and UCLA are in the same boat and it's going to be a battle between the three to get him.  

I want Nebraska to be the first program to get in touch with him and get the conversation started.  Now, I still don't expect anything to happen with Frost (or whomever we go after) till after the season, but, when that last second ticks off of their last game of the regular season, I want them to know we want them and the position is open.

You can do that behind the scenes 

40 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Only partly true. You have to ask the AD to speak with the head coach and AD's don't let anyone do that until the regular season is done. It is rare will a school go around the AD. Arkansas did it to get Bret from WIsconsin and was hit with a lot bad PR. It took a good 3 years before things started to fade away from that discussion. 

You can reach out to agents to get feelers before a formal interview/job offer when you can speak with a coach directly. After all of these years I haven't seen any school make a monster splash on a coaching search just because they fired someone on 10/17 instead of 11/11. 

LSU fired their coach before the season was done and ended up with their DL coach. MI fired their coach and had to wait until the NFL season was done. 

Pros to firing Riley now:

• Gets his mediocrity out of the team ASAP
  • Potentially gets us 1 or 2 more wins before end of the year
  • Makes it clear to everyone we are looking for a new HC (not that most question that now anyway) and lets us start the search (which I am convinced is already occurring)

Cons to firing Riley now:

• Doesn't change the likely final result of the season (still gonna suck)
  • Puts ANOTHER change right on top of an expected HC change at end of year - not good for program stability
  • Potentially puts an interim coach in the mix of saying 'hey, I did better than you expected, you should hire me', with all the player confusion and angst that entails
  • Makes it clear we are writing off this season and the players don't have to try the rest of the year

I think the cons are worse than the pros for this one so I agree that Moos is right about no point in firing Riley midyear.

9 minutes ago, neepster said:

Pros to firing Riley now:

• Gets his mediocrity out of the team ASAP
  • Potentially gets us 1 or 2 more wins before end of the year
  • Makes it clear to everyone we are looking for a new HC (not that most question that now anyway) and lets us start the search (which I am convinced is already occurring)

Cons to firing Riley now:

• Doesn't change the likely final result of the season (still gonna suck)
  • Puts ANOTHER change right on top of an expected HC change at end of year - not good for program stability
  • Potentially puts an interim coach in the mix of saying 'hey, I did better than you expected, you should hire me', with all the player confusion and angst that entails
  • Makes it clear we are writing off this season and the players don't have to try the rest of the year

I think the cons are worse than the pros for this one so I agree that Moos is right about no point in firing Riley midyear.

Only problem with your pros is Langs might as well be Riley and Diaco has already proven to be inept as a HC so I'm not sure even the first two pros would actually happen.