Disappointed nothing changes till end of year

jauken

Was just listening to the radio with Greg Sharp, call in's, and nobody is in favor of this downhill trend right now.  Even Sharp is saying that he see's nothing good about this team in the fact of competing with elite teams let alone average teams.  Why keep tredging along with this program in a downhill slide?  What does it gain anyone overall?

We are not the laughing stock of college football for wins and losses.   But we are for other reasons.  This thread, and the other 9999 that are just like it, unquestionably have moved us into the fore front.  We have always been considered unrealistic.  But it now goes so much beyond that.

Our head coach most likely is going to be fired, but from reading these posts and seeing the times they are posted, wonder if a lot of you shouldn't be fired.  Your certainly are not working a full day.   Doubtful you are authorized to make football post during working hours?  So maybe we are the pot calling the kettle black.  I truly hope that what I read here day after day is not what the Husker fan base is.  It goes against everything I was ever taught.  

I am a geezer, been following the Huskers for many years.  I know it took Coach Osborne 23 years to accomplish what some think is birth born right.  If we would have had this bull s#!t social media crap, Nebraska would never have won the last three MNC it has.  Many wanted Coach Osborne gone.

Just take a step back and read what you post about a good person, that just is not what we need, I agree.  But calling him names and insulting him is not necessary.  Half of you most likely would not say it to his face or any of his assistants face.  If you aren't man enough to do that, it is time to, I won't use the pathetic abbreviation that was used above.  But you know how I feel.

• Plus1 4

42 minutes ago, jauken said:

You can email president of university, chancellor.  Board of regents.  You can make change you just have to try.  If they choose to do something else then you did something to try to make a change.  But if your happy with how we are now, how we are perceived and coached at this moment.  Of course do nothing.  

I'm not happy about where we are but im.not gonna sit here and act like I have a say in it. Whining to the Chancellor in an email or not buying a Husker hat(haven't bought gear in years anyway) won't make a difference. If you want to think it will go ahead but stop acting like fans that support the program through tough times are the reason for those tough times. It's ludicrous.

There remain far too many on this board and I suppose among the fan base at large that just don't understand or recognize the team is just not very good.  There have been mistakes in coaching strategy during some of the games or portions thereof, but the O line getting manhandled by the majority of our opponents this season, and last season, and the season before that, and the season before than, repeat as necessary, is one of the bigger issues.    It is certainly NOT the only issue.  We have lacked the quality and quantity of top notch college football players to compete on the national stage for a decade plus.  We began the slide into mediocrity 18 years ago with a dramatic decline in recruiting for any number of reasons.   Tom's retirement hurt recruiting as Frank was NOT Tom in terms of recruiting gravitas.   We have suffered through some major administrative blunders in terms of staffing, management, etc.   There are many reasons why we are in the mess we are in and as some have pointed out, this next hire, or whatever major changes are made, MUST ABSOLUTELY be right this time.  The next coaching staff is going to have a huge challenge and will need undivided, dedicated and continuing support and trust.   The lynch mobs have got to throw their torches and pitchforks in the celebratory bonfire when the changes are made.   A minimum of 5 years and probably longer is clearly required to get things significantly better.   

With this mob mentaily, I would think Scott Frost would be exceedingly concerned and cautious about taking over the Husker team right now.  He has personally felt the wrath of Husker fans after his very first start as the QB.  Frosty the throw man was not a friendly nickname nor a term of endearment.   He got that after some (more than a few fans) felt he threw away the Arizona game and some would have liked to see him left behind on the plane ride back home.  I am quite sure he remembers his not so loving welcome home.  

How quickly will the mobsters turn on him if the first season goes 6-6.   The same fans who scream "we have plenty of talent to win the Big Ten west easily" right now will want to defend him at first by arguing the talent is not there.   But soon, the debate will swing to why didn't we run the dam ball on 3rd and 4 instead throwing that interception, or in the alternative, why did we not throw when we had run so many times in a row and the defense 'knew' we were going to run that exact play and stuffed us.  

There are some good coaches, good recruiters, good people and good players on this year's team.   Not enough.   We surely can all agree on that much.   There are many reasons why we lack enough of all of the above, not all of which are Mike Riley's fault.   Two recruiting seasons is hardly enough time to transfer a team that got blown out by the Badgers and Buckeyes, Hawkeyes, etc.  Has this year's team progressed or regressed?   In my view we've certainly not made progress but we all knew Ohio State would gut us and there was a strong likelyhood that Oregon and Wisconsin would as well.  

One major area of disappointment this year is QB play.   But that has been the case for many years, absent Taylor Martinez's frosh year (half anyway).   We have NOT played our back ups and built for the future because, precisely, the coaches then and there didn't believe they could afford to invest in the future as for far too many fans, the future is NOW and we can't wait for the good times to come.   This is just not working in getting us back to where we all want to be.  Far too many were clueless about the decline in Solich years, followed by the NFL mentality of Callahan which won't work in Nebraska, followed by the who gives a s#!t mentality of Pelini, to the It is not winning or losing but how you present yourself mentality of Riley.  

Edited by 84HuskerLaw
20 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

He should go now because our players have a lost sense of caring already.  Thats going to get worse.  No matter who is interim, this team needs a shot in the arm.  LSU fired Miles last year early.  It happens.  When your in a dead end relationship, you cut ties.

17 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Was just listening to the radio with Greg Sharp, call in's, and nobody is in favor of this downhill trend right now.  Even Sharp is saying that he see's nothing good about this team in the fact of competing with elite teams let alone average teams.  Why keep tredging along with this program in a downhill slide?  What does it gain anyone overall?

In theory, yes the sooner we move away from what isn’t working, the better. But in reality I don’t think we gain much of anything by letting Riley go now. I would argue that the larger problem is Langsdorf anyway. But it is all Riley’s responsibility so let’s assume we let him go now. What do we gain? We have an interim coach for about 6 weeks that is likely part of the current problem. The players aren’t going to learn any new system. If Lang’s is still here as OC we’re going to get much the same on the O side and the same goes for the other side with Diaco. If either of those guys have some bright ideas on how to improve things then they’ve already forfeited their chance to implement them. About the only benefit I see would possibly be interjecting a bit of passion and emotion in the players but I’m not convinced anybody who would be named interim is going to make significant strides in that regard. 

I’ll agree that there is little good happening now and that it’s a downhill slide. However, I don’t see an interim HC situation significantly changing that. It’s damned if you do and damned if you don’t at this point. That’s why more care needs to be taken with overall program vision and the hiring process. We have to suffer a little bit longer due to past decisions. This season is already toast. We’re going on 20 years, I think we can handle another 6 weeks or so.

• Plus1 3

We are becoming our own worst enemy.  Not all coaches are money based.  If they are they will take the easiest road to the end.  Are we making it look easy to lead Nebraska to what we want.  Like I said it took Coach Osborne 23 years to win a MNC.  That is never going to happen again, but there are some on this board that think we should be able to beat Ohio State with in two years with the talent on board.  I suggest you look at what Ohio State has done since losing to Oklahoma.  

Edited by skersfan
  • Plus1 2

Firing him now won't salvage the season.  If someone on this all-star staff was that capable, it would have shown by now IMHO....Let the seniors have the HC they have played with the past 3 years.  Try to have a smooth transition from this staff to the next.  As mentioned above, let the season live or die on this staff...

We have Purdue, Minnie, PSU, Iowa and NW on the list....The rest of the B1G smells blood and no one wants to be the team that NU beats this season.  I suspect we will get every teams best shot......is there a coach on the staff that can take over as interim and win?  Still possible  (highly unlikely) to beat Purdue, Minnie and NW and get bowl eligible......Iowa and PSU probably not.  Then again, Riley being Riley loses to one of the first 3 and knocks off PSU.  Hate to say it, that happens and we go 6-6 we might get Riley again with some serious offensive changes....Excuses flow, the whole new scheme, new QB, youth, injuries, defensive staff etc..... I hope not.

22 minutes ago, skersfan said:

.... That is never going to happen again, but there are some on this board that we should be able to beat Ohio State with in two years with the talent on board. ...

Not really.  In 2 years we should be able to stop splitting games with Purdue,  Northwestern,  Minnesota, Illinois and have resonable confidence in playing Iowa. 

The fact that given the teams recent history, makes winning the next 3 games a less than 50 percent proposition is telling.

Forget trying to be Wisconsin,  OSU, or even Iowa at this point.

Next year's schedule looks brutal because everyone knows they'll struggle against the worst in the B1G too.

Edited by InOmaha
  • Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, InOmaha said:

Not really.  In 2 years we should be able to stop splitting games with Purdue,  Northwestern,  Minnesota, Illinois and have resonable confidence in playing Iowa. 

The fact that given the teams recent history, makes the next 3 games a less than 50 percent proposition is telling.

Forget trying to be Wisconsin,  OSU, or even Iowa at this point.

Next year's schedule looks brutal because everyone knows they'll struggle against the worst in the B1G too.

@InOmaha (not aimed at you).  With a great staff and scheme, we win the West next year.  The talent is there. I'm sick if all the hand wringing that we can't win.  If I was the new staff (if we get one), the first thing I would get rid of is the doubt.  The belief we can't compete.  The belief that there are moral victories....The belief that your a senior you get to play.  The belief that you continually screw up assignment after assignment and get to play....Instill accountability and discipline and see how that works....Time the kids start to believe that WE ARE NEBRASKA (in Leonidas voice)...

• Plus1 1

My comment was more about waiting the 23 years.   I see Nebraska being capable of playing well in the conference, I do not see us returning to a National Power as we were considered in the 70"s, 80's and 90's.   I never predict that kind of stuff.  You have to be too lucky for it to happen normally.

What baffles me is how some feel we are just going to magically pull away from teams in the Big 10.  We really do not have more money to spend on the football program.  Not money that makes a difference.  In ten years all will have facilities that are as good or better, some are now.  The big Network brings a lot of money into programs and they know they have to spend it on football.  I think every team is currently investing in upgrading facilities.  

The kids we are recruiting have no idea Nebraska was a dominant program.  They see us for what we have been since they have been interested.  Maybe two or three years.  Kids of today are only interested in the money/NFL thought.   You can see it in every thread on this board.  More money will do it.  When everyone has it, no one has an advantage at the level we are at now.

@lo country  I just watched Ohio State beat us like a drum.  It appeared we were a step slower, not as strong.  Is that really just coaching.  I watched the Wisconsin and Ohio State running backs just run away from out top players.  Is that desire or is it talent.  If you watched the game, and I know you did, you really believe we have the talent to win next year.  I just don't see that happening, and I think it sets unrealistic expectations, that when not obtained cause more problems for the first year coach.  I am all for it if it happens, but I have been on this board for a long time and seen these statements for a lot of years.  And normally when we hit a team with talent, they kick our teeth in.  And it has been many years, not just the last three.

This is not an overnight deal,  it took Coach Osborne a long time to get to the top and I watched many games where we were not competitive with the top teams.  It takes time to develop (this) program due to local talent available.  Coach Osborne realized it.  Seldom did we see an O or D lineman play a game until their third year in the system, normally more.  We have to be willing to invest in Nebraska.  Not just think it will happen overnight.

• Plus1 2