Disappointed nothing changes till end of year

jauken

I’m sorry but I’m disappointed that there will be no changes till end of season.  I really hope that is just words and not what Moos really means.  I see at least two more losses and possibly three if we lose to NW or Purdue.  

I am am a fan of 47 years and I am unashamed to tell you right now I’m apathetic on NU.  I love Nebraska with all my heart but something has to change with this staff. The wait and see, we are rebuilding, attitude is BS.  If you do not show progress and grow you are failing.  Right now we are a shell of a team.   No attitude, no passion.  Doesn’t mean I don’t love the kids.  But milk toast leadership with an aw shucks I’m not afraid my job is at risk attitude trickles down to players.  I’m not saying I want Mike Leach but listen to his PC after the game this week.  We were not good enough in any area and I blame myself and the coaches for not getting players ready.  I don’t see Riley being accountable and the kind of coach who you would run thru a brick wall for so that he wasn’t embarrassed 

a change is is needed today.   NOW.  I love Mike as a human being but not as the leader we need going forward.   Thank you for letting me vent

• Plus1 2

when is the right time to make a change ?   mediocrity is like a disease.  You have to cut it out and remove it as soon as possible.  Sure you can wait but how bad do we have to be to make that change?   It happens for me when I see a half  empty stadium and when Nebraska is mentioned on MSN as a joke because we let balloons go for an first down.  

I don’t  have all the answers.  I’m just a normal fan who is hurting 

Of course there will be changes.  I saw some the other night with younger players being pushed to the forefront and getting playing time.  I could see many starters losing playing time in favor of anyone that can generate better results.

Unfortunately, it's probably too late.  If you have to threaten the coaches job before he'll do what it takes to win on the field, he's not self motivated enough to get it done and will fall back on bad habits the first time he gets a winning streak going.  He might get lucky and win some of the next couple games using new strategies and new players.  But that was his job all along.  The toss up games are coming now and they have to win Purdue, Minnesota, and Northwestern with what looks likely losses to Iowa and Penn State.  If they stumble on one the first 3 they have to pick up one of the harder last 2 games.  Pull out a 6-6 season and the interim coach will try to get a winning season.

Purdue is the biggest game.  They lose it and the team has little to build on.  Nebraska in tossup games with Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern.  Blech.  We've been .500 with them historically going back before our current coaching staff so we're bound to lose at least one.

Edited by InOmaha
9 minutes ago, jauken said:

when is the right time to make a change ?   mediocrity is like a disease.  You have to cut it out and remove it as soon as possible.  Sure you can wait but how bad do we have to be to make that change?   It happens for me when I see a half  empty stadium and when Nebraska is mentioned on MSN as a joke because we let balloons go for an first down.  

I don’t  have all the answers.  I’m just a normal fan who is hurting 

In all seriousness, midseason coaching changes generally don't do much. You do see an initial positive bump, but it neutralizes as the season goes on. The net effect will usually be near zero change. 

Regardless of what Moos said, or does, you're waiting until next season anyhow. Sorry.

The only thing that firing Riley right now would do is put more stress on the football team. With only 5 games left of the season you might as well just let him finish the season out and work on getting the new coach, a deal greed to behind closed doors, and then when the time comes you terminate the contract with Riley and sign the contract with the new coach. 

The AD at UCF would not want schools talking directly with Frost until the regular season is done anyways. 

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, brophog said:

In all seriousness, midseason coaching changes generally don't do much. You do see an initial positive bump, but it neutralizes as the season goes on. The net effect will usually be near zero change. 

Regardless of what Moos said, or does, you're waiting until next season anyhow. Sorry.

I don’t disagree.  I don’t believe they will do anything at all to change situation, hence being apathetic to the situation.  I fully expect to have another year of this mess.  The only ones who can affect change are the fans.  Scream enough, stop showing up, stop subsidizing mediocrity... These are only tools available to us as fans. 

Just now, jauken said:

I don’t disagree.  I don’t believe they will do anything at all to change situation, hence being apathetic to the situation.  I fully expect to have another year of this mess.  The only ones who can affect change are the fans.  Scream enough, stop showing up, stop subsidizing mediocrity... These are only tools available to us as fans. 

We don't need to do any of that stuff. They can see the scoreboard as easy as we can, they know things aren't working. I don't understand why you think this goes on past this season.

It sucks, but the change won't make much of a difference. I think the most important part though is a quick fire after your last regular season game and a quick hire to salvage the recruiting class/transfers. The AD has 7 weeks - I'm sure he already has his list of top 3 HC he wants to interview. 

Edited by BIG ERN
  • Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, brophog said:

We don't need to do any of that stuff. They can see the scoreboard as easy as we can, they know things aren't working. I don't understand why you think this goes on past this season.

My fear is that this new Ad is familiar with Riley and some even said friends with him.  I fear he will be talked into giving him another year.  Trust me.  This year is a national championship year compared to the brutal schedule next year.  

If if he stays the disease grows and spreads.  Cut it out now.  

You may be right and he gets fired after this season.  But what happens if he stays??  I don’t want to take that chance

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

The AD at UCF would not want schools talking directly with Frost until the regular season is done anyways. 

That guy is just screwed. They need Frost to win to generate fan support and revenue to improve their facilities, but every win, especially the way they're winning, just makes it more likely someone tries to poach him.

That roster isn't the kind that just any replacement comes in and wins with. They get by because they're extracting pieces and parts of players and playing with a lot of heart. They don't have many "complete players". Their best defensive player only has one hand. He doesn't need two hands, his motor just don't quit.

This is easily a roster that can go 2-10 next year without the right guy. That's a catch-22 for an AD.

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

As much as I want Riley fired, it won't make a huge difference on the timing of the firing.  The athletic department can still do back-channel work with agents to identify coaching candidates, and most new coaches won't want to be announced until the end of the regular season anyway. 

Yup this. The only reason to fire him now is bloodlust.

• Plus1 1