The systemic yo-yo of Nebraska football since 2003

4 minutes ago, girlknowsfootball said:

If it's too long for you, don't read it. :) Whether you read it or not is on you not on me. I'm sorry you felt your time was wasted. 

Read my other post that followed.  I did read it and enjoyed the insights.  My time wasn't wasted.  I just didn't have the time to read it the first time around.  After reading I realized that it had merit.  I've written some long posts on the political forum - so I was only reflecting back what others had told me.   Good job wt the OP.

19 hours ago, Isle of View said:

That's a false narrative about Solich.  He had top ten classes in 2000 and 2001, and he had the 14th ranked class on Rivals at the time he was fired.   Callahan inherited 19 guys on defense that would go on to sign NFL contracts.

Thanks for looking that up! I had tried to find it but had a hard time! I just remember that fans were complaining that Solich' recruiting was dropping off from what Osborne was getting his last 6-7 years and what Solich got his first couple of years. Maybe that drop off was minimal, but I distinctly remember the fan base complaining about Solich's recruiting efforts. A lot of it also had to do with Peterson coming in to ride his high horse and make his splash. 

6 minutes ago, girlknowsfootball said:

Thanks for looking that up! I had tried to find it but had a hard time! I just remember that fans were complaining that Solich' recruiting was dropping off from what Osborne was getting his last 6-7 years and what Solich got his first couple of years. Maybe that drop off was minimal, but I distinctly remember the fan base complaining about Solich's recruiting efforts. A lot of it also had to do with Peterson coming in to ride his high horse and make his splash. 

A lot of that talk came AFTER Solich was fired and the Pederson/Callahan apologists got warmed up.  

7-7 was a tough pill to swallow, and it caused a lot of gnashing of teeth. 

Very good synopsis.  Only thing I would add is that Pederson didn't know Callahan, he was like his 10th choice (or worse).  Also, Callahan went to the Super Bowl the season prior to this.  His last season with Oakland he was fired because he couldn't get along with his players and they had a players only meeting where they approached ownership to remove Callahan.

What does Chancellor Green and President Bounds state they want in a coach/AD right now? Why did they say they canned Eickhorst? Right now the "what we need that we are lacking" discussion is completely geared towards a  proven winner. If Riley gets canned it's not because of Public Relations, team division, effort, or Academic/off field stuff. It's strictly because of a lack of wins and players making mistakes over and over. So based on our history, they will now search for a winner. I just hope, and feel, that the next guy is going to be the good of Riley mixed with the wins they want. Let's not yo-yo again. Let's bring it to the middle this time. 

Damon Benning has said he thinks there is a good chance Riley chooses to retire after this season. It's been a big stress on him. You can see it in his face. He is 64 yrs old. He's under tremendous pressure. I personally think we need to keep him, hold on to this recruiting class, let him coach one more year to see what he can do with an older defense, a higher level WR/DB and then assess/fire if things aren't much better. But we will see. I don't see how you can keep him if fans aren't showing up to games, we go 6-6, and we keep making the same mistakes. 

GNF,

Nice job trying to give a concise summary of Nebraska's "confused era".  I could go through and pick apart portions of it that I disagree with, or are contentious, like IOV did, but I think your general point is more important.  And you are right.

The real question is: how do we avoid this going forward?  Do we allow Riley to "fix" his offense by bringing in a better OL coach and OC that still runs a pro-style system?  I doubt there would be much support for that, but it would be a logical way to end the cycle of yo-yo-ing.

I think one of the biggest reasons for the yo-yo-ing by the ADs is that they are bowing to booster and fan pressure, which happen to be very powerful at Nebraska.  Has that served us well?  Ask Texas.

47 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

GNF,

Nice job trying to give a concise summary of Nebraska's "confused era".  I could go through and pick apart portions of it that I disagree with, or are contentious, like IOV did, but I think your general point is more important.  And you are right.

The real question is: how do we avoid this going forward?  Do we allow Riley to "fix" his offense by bringing in a better OL coach and OC that still runs a pro-style system?  I doubt there would be much support for that, but it would be a logical way to end the cycle of yo-yo-ing.

I think one of the biggest reasons for the yo-yo-ing by the ADs is that they are bowing to booster and fan pressure, which happen to be very powerful at Nebraska.  Has that served us well?  Ask Texas.

I don't get the sentiment that Riley should be given the opportunity to replace his o-line coach and OC.  How many coaches are able to replace their entire staff of assistant coaches due to 3 seasons of ineptitude.  I have said this more than once, the one constant is MIKE RILEY.  He's the captain of the ship that is sinking.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't get the sentiment that Riley should be given the opportunity to replace his o-line coach and OC.  How many coaches are able to replace their entire staff of assistant coaches due to 3 seasons of ineptitude.  I have said this more than once, the one constant is MIKE RILEY.  He's the captain of the ship that is sinking.

I don't disagree with you, necessarily.  Just playing devil's advocate.  If we agree that yo-yo-ing wildly between coaching administrations, trying to do the complete opposite thing, has hurt Nebraska's success, then what would the next logical step be?

1 minute ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

I don't disagree with you, necessarily.  Just playing devil's advocate.  If we agree that yo-yo-ing wildly between coaching administrations, trying to do the complete opposite thing, has hurt Nebraska's success, then what would the next logical step be?

The yo-yoing is mainly due to bad hirings being made

3 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Hire a HC with a direct line of succession to our pre-yo-yoing glory days.  Then, keep him happy.

37 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The yo-yoing is mainly due to bad hirings being made

Yep, and mainly hiring the wrong, arrogant ADs. Solich was fired no matter what. My theory is that Bo wouldn't bow down to SE, and he made Bo's life as miserable as he could. We need an AD that understands the football coach is the star, and is paid accordingly. The AD should not act as the football coach's boss, but rather as a facilitator to make the coaches job as easy as possible.

• Plus1 2