The systemic yo-yo of Nebraska football since 2003

1 minute ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Yep, and mainly hiring the wrong, arrogant ADs. Solich was fired no matter what. My theory is that Bo wouldn't bow down to SE, and he made Bo's life as miserable as he could. We need an AD that understands the football coach is the star, and is paid accordingly. The AD should not act as the football coach's boss, but rather as a facilitator to make the coaches job as easy as possible.

7ac.jpg

2 hours ago, girlknowsfootball said:

Thanks for looking that up! I had tried to find it but had a hard time! I just remember that fans were complaining that Solich' recruiting was dropping off from what Osborne was getting his last 6-7 years and what Solich got his first couple of years. Maybe that drop off was minimal, but I distinctly remember the fan base complaining about Solich's recruiting efforts. A lot of it also had to do with Peterson coming in to ride his high horse and make his splash. 

No, the recruiting did drop some, but Solich was missing on some key positions, namely RB and QB.  Other players didn't pan out, mostly due to injuries.  Plus he needed to transition to a new staff. 

Personally I would have liked to have seen what Solich and the new staff would have done recruiting wise.  But Pederson had other ideas.  It is fairly well known that Pederson and Solich were not too fond of each other at underlings.  Short of Solich winning the North in 2003 he was looking for any way to get rid of him. 

You are wrong about Callahan and Pederson being buds.  It took 40 days to hire a coach. Pederson got turned down multiple times before he got Callahan to take the job. 

8 hours ago, NUinID said:

No, the recruiting did drop some, but Solich was missing on some key positions, namely RB and QB.  Other players didn't pan out, mostly due to injuries.  Plus he needed to transition to a new staff. 

Personally I would have liked to have seen what Solich and the new staff would have done recruiting wise.  But Pederson had other ideas.  It is fairly well known that Pederson and Solich were not too fond of each other at underlings.  Short of Solich winning the North in 2003 he was looking for any way to get rid of him. 

You are wrong about Callahan and Pederson being buds.  It took 40 days to hire a coach. Pederson got turned down multiple times before he got Callahan to take the job. 

True story.  And here's another point of clarification:  Steve Pederson did not act as a "lone wolf" in wanting Solich gone.  There was a lot of public opinion from fans, and I assume some boosters, that Solich just wasn't good enough.  Many wanted him gone, and applauded the firing at the time.  It is only in retrospect that people conveniently remember SP as going rogue in his terrible decision to fire a 9-3 coach.  Revisionist history IMO.

The embarrassing hiring fiasco was a major f@ckup, though.  He should have handled that task better for sure.  He made his bed on that one.

9 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

True story.  And here's another point of clarification:  Steve Pederson did not act as a "lone wolf" in wanting Solich gone.  There was a lot of public opinion from fans, and I assume some boosters, that Solich just wasn't good enough.  Many wanted him gone, and applauded the firing at the time.  It is only in retrospect that people conveniently remember SP as going rogue in his terrible decision to fire a 9-3 coach.  Revisionist history IMO.

The embarrassing hiring fiasco was a major f@ckup, though.  He should have handled that task better for sure.  He made his bed on that one.

Pederson had the backing of a few big boosters in his personal vendetta against Solich.   But it was mostly because of the lies that he told them.  And there was a certain segment of the fanbase that never liked Solich.  But nowwhere near a majority.

3 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Probably not the main reason but on a side note, Solich had a few personal issues that caused him to lose favor with some major boosters.  After 25 years of Tom O holding down the moral fort they didn't want to see the university be embarrassed if that news got out.  At the time it was just fuel on the fire to get Solich out.

It was all fabricated by Pederson.  None of it was true.

10 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Oh yeah, I agree that Pederson wasn't acting as a "lone wolf", I know there was boosters that wanted him gone also.  Pederson could have been a calming factor and said lets give him another year, but that wasn't what he wanted.  

13 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

It was all fabricated by Pederson.  None of it was true.

Your just speaking out the side of your mouth, you have no clue one way or the other.  Solich was not a choir boy by any means, in fact the few times I came in contact with him before he was HC I found him to be a little bit of an arrogant prick.  Which is fine IMO

• Plus1 1