The systemic yo-yo of Nebraska football since 2003

While the thread is about systemic, here are a few thoughts about cyclical action that came to my mind last night:

20 years Ago: NU was in the hunt for a national title

20 years Ago: Mr. Nice announces his retirement  - Tom announces hs retirement after 25 years in Nov 1997

20 years Ago: A brash talking QB, name Scott Frost gives a passionate speech as to why NU should be #1

10 years ago - OSU trounced NU on I believe the same weekend.  Ok State that is

10 years ago - the AD was fired and Tom was hired

10 years Ago: AD Tom hired someone previously associated with the program - Bo

This year:  OSU trounced NU  - Ohio State that is

This year: Ad was fired and the new AD hired

This year: Mr Nice appears to be on the road to retire or be fired in Nov of 2017- Mike Riley

This year: The brash QB of 1997, now HC Scott Frost, could get his team into the NC college playoffs if all goes right

This Year: Will the new AD hire someone once associated wt the program - Scott Frost

On 10/17/2017 at 0:14 PM, Isle of View said:

If it wasn't for the crap he pulled during the '01 season, I would be fully onboard with Bohl.   

Refresh my memory. What is this crap you speak of?  I do remember some bone of contention with Bohl but not a specific act

1 hour ago, BartonHusker said:

Kind of ironic there are some that want Venables if no Frost but he has fallen victim to many of the same demons.  For sure at Kansas State and got a little better at Oklahoma.   As far as I know he has straightened up at Clemson but then again he doesn't live in our region anymore.  

Clemson is Venables first chance as the DEF Coordinator.  Most of the time he was Mike Stoops bitch in training.  Once he got away from the Stoops brothers, he kind of blossomed.  Can't let history date this one like that.  He played at KSU, and some think that he might have an outside chance to be head coach there when Synder finally retires.

I'd say much of the OP was fairly accurate although I would also differ on several points.   Overall, though, the gist of it is correct, though perhaps the degree of degradation of the program under Solich was understated.   The team had slipped a lot farther than most people were aware.   Many fans are casual fans that pay very little attention to the details and the behind the scenes, etc.  This was especially true after 30 years of Devaney and Osborne consistancy and then the presumed continuation with Solich.  Frank had been with Devaney as a player so it was assumed things would be business as usual just like they had always been as far back as many could remember.  

Some of us knew better.  For me, Frank's firing was a sad time but it was not a suprise and unfortunately it was in my view the right decision.   Frank had a drinking problem in Lincoln - I personally was eyewitness to one of his drunken tirades in Lincoln downtown bar where he bad mouthed Tom Osborne in shocking fashion.  i don't know about the pregnant cheerleader stories but I tended to believe them though I hated to think it.  My sympathy and respect for Frank dissolved greatly with Frank's wrongful firing and blaming of his long time staff members for his failures.   George Darlington, Milt Tenopir, Dan Young, etc were all long time devoted, exceptional coaches that contributed mightily to hundreds of wins, many top players and etc.  

When head coaches fire long time assistants more often than not, it is to deflect the criiticism off of them.  What i am amazed by is how many assistant coaches stick around long enough to get fired.   They ought to know they are headed for dismissal and quit and go out on a good stead and have a better chance for new employmen t.  

• Plus1 1