The systemic yo-yo of Nebraska football since 2003

GNF: The key to successful threads and posts - KISS -   Not keep it simple but keep it SHORT (ok medium length at best)  - Way too much verbiage to wade through there.  Got some key points, then say it and you can follow up with the rest of the encyclopedia in follow up posts. 

• Plus1 1

I thought it was a well stated thorough summary of what we've been through.

But the last 20 years could be summarized by saying we can't expect good or quick results when constantly making 180 degree changes in philosophy or style of play. We need consistency but you can't build consistency with styles or philosophies that aren't compatible with the overall direction and the overall direction needs to be settled upon.  So the key would be doing a better job with vision and placing people in charge of the program. Just like coaches have to recruit players for their style so to do our administrators have to have an idea what they want the program to be and then hire coaches that head in that direction. At some point you need to decide what you're going to be and then go for it and quit changing directions. It seems to be working for Wisconsin. For my 2 cents, I don't think Nebraska is ever going to have success with any type of pro style, pass first, west coast type of offense. We made our name with a punishing ground attack. That is who we are and any efforts otherwise (even if they work at other places) just aren't going to do well here.

This next HC hire is vital. We can't afford to f it up again. Can't!

Didn't read the OP yet, but just going off of what this topic is about it is pretty clear what has taken place, IMO. 

1: Incompetent leadership. Elite football programs have everyone bought in from the Chancellor to the players. When WI hired Barry it was a change of culture. Before he was hired the leadership at WI didn't give a crap about football. Then Donna was hired and it all changed. Now football is a focus at that school. 

2: A loss of identity that also coincided with terrible hires at the AD and head coach levels. Nebraska is a culture of toughness, discipline, and out work the other guy. Fearless play. The program changed to a culture of softness, passiveness, doing what is just needed, and the like. The program is currently at the levels of the losing seasons in the 1960's. That trend will not be reversed until there is a competent head coach that understands Nebraska. Trying to out recruit the likes of USCw for pro style play is the dumbest thing ever tried at Nebraska. 

How to fix it? Bring in a native son, bring back what Nebraska was known from since the hiring of Bob to Solich. There is one guy that has the number one offense in the country that knows Nebraska. This isn't rocket science, folks. 

• Plus1 5

Ok, I finally read the whole OP.  Good info.  I see the swinging pendulum we have gone through.  So I hope AD Moos hires a well rounded coach who brings on strong OC and DC - so we are trying to fix just one area.  The coach should have our values who represents us well  (not a BC foul mouth or a BO loud mouth) but who can also recruit and develop players holistically. 

Where is Superman now? 

I still lean Shaw or Frost.  Proven or the up and comer wt potential. 

1 hour ago, jessica0 said:

Didn't read the OP yet, but just going off of what this topic is about it is pretty clear what has taken place, IMO. 

1: Incompetent leadership. Elite football programs have everyone bought in from the Chancellor to the players. When WI hired Barry it was a change of culture. Before he was hired the leadership at WI didn't give a crap about football. Then Donna was hired and it all changed. Now football is a focus at that school. 

2: A loss of identity that also coincided with terrible hires at the AD and head coach levels. Nebraska is a culture of toughness, discipline, and out work the other guy. Fearless play. The program changed to a culture of softness, passiveness, doing what is just needed, and the like. The program is currently at the levels of the losing seasons in the 1960's. That trend will not be reversed until there is a competent head coach that understands Nebraska. Trying to out recruit the likes of USCw for pro style play is the dumbest thing ever tried at Nebraska. 

How to fix it? Bring in a native son, bring back what Nebraska was known from since the hiring of Bob to Solich. There is one guy that has the number one offense in the country that knows Nebraska. This isn't rocket science, folks. 

You should read the OP. It's not rocket science after all, it's just quite a few words.

I'm not necessarily opposed to Frost and I do think he would bring back the required level of toughness and discipline but somebody would have to explain how his offense is the Nebraska way. I've been watching and paying attention to Nebraska football since the very early 70's and it seems to me when we were successful, we always relied on a punishing running game. Every once in awhile we had a qb that could use it to set up some passing but the constant was we were I back U and had stellar O line play. Is that how Frost does it? Serious question because I haven't watched that much of UCF but it seems to me he may be a little pass happy for truly being the Nebraska way. IMO, I think we should get back to being able to gain that 3 yards in a cloud of dust whenever we damn well feel like it. That's Nebraska football and it will work very well in the B1G conference. I think that is more important than just having a native son. 

8 hours ago, TGHusker said:

GNF: The key to successful threads and posts - KISS -   Not keep it simple but keep it SHORT (ok medium length at best)  - Way too much verbiage to wade through there.  Got some key points, then say it and you can follow up with the rest of the encyclopedia in follow up posts. 

GNF ... N really does stand for knowledge!

• Plus1 1

Good OP!  I also agree El D, its about toughness.   

I heard 2 quotes this past week from past coaches that I also agree with:

Barry Switzer -  It does matter what offense you play, it about playing hard every down.

Charlie McBride - It will take a new coach more than 3 years to be build a winning team.  Most people who complain after a year or two has never wore a jockstrap.

GKF great post.  I've always felt the change from Clownahan to Bo was due to a lack of personality by the Clown.  Then Bo to MR was to bring in the nice guy from big bad mean Bo.  Lost in all that is if you don't make system based decisions you are constantly chasing your tail.  It was a long read, but well worth the time to read it.  

20 hours ago, TGHusker said:

If it's too long for you, don't read it. :) Whether you read it or not is on you not on me. I'm sorry you felt your time was wasted.