OWH: Passive Scheme, Confusion Hard to Understand

Mavric

Ohio State has an explosive offense that can package several different options — a handoff, a quarterback keep or a pass — into one play. Given the experience of quarterback J.T. Barrett and the Buckeyes’ skill athletes — including a great freshman back, J.K. Dobbins — these “triple option” plays are a real strain on NU’s beaten-up defense. You throw in good tight ends and a great offensive coordinator, Kevin Wilson, and Diaco was clearly wary of letting the Buckeyes and Barrett blast Nebraska off the field with big plays.

What happened was worse.

With Diaco’s plan — light pass rush, zone defense, big cornerback cushions, wait-and-see outside linebackers — NU’s defenders looked like they were playing on a two-second delay. Corners gave up slant passes like it was the opening day of camp. Linebackers dropped coverages, which led to one easy touchdown. In run fits, defensive linemen seemed to approach their assignments with less zeal and aggression, suffering their share of “oh my” moments.

The Husker defense looked tired, hurt, unsure and on its heels. It looked like Maryland or Rutgers.

The most egregious play of the night was OSU’s third touchdown, when Buckeye receiver K.J. Hill, running the simplest of 2-yard crossing routes, wasn’t covered by anyone.

Which was strange because Diaco sent only three guys at the quarterback.

OWH

• Plus1 1

I miss downhill, attack, in-your-face defense... It simply breeds nastiness on the lines (both lines, if you have 1's v. 1's during practice/off-season).

We are in desperate need of some angry, mean lineman.

... Maybe if Frost is hired he brings in some of his 96/97 line teammates to try and reignite that flame. He would need to bring in a D-Coord. that brings and attack-style play first, though.

This game made no sense to me. Playing for the present? Building for the future? Even trying to win? I don't know.  

People wouldn't like it, but I could at least understand if they felt they couldn't win so they used the game to develop youth or implement new ideas. Didn't do that, though. 

People wouldn't like it, but I could at least understand if they felt they couldn't win so they tried to limit the damage by playing passive and killing clock. Didn't do that, though.

There was certainly no gameplan for how to win. Other than the continued slight increase in screens and other quick passes we've seen recently, we did nothing new offensively. This was a pure case of trying to run the same stuff, no matter how ineffective it has been, and no matter who the opponent was. The offense got some chunk plays in the passing game to make stats look good, but sadly that was in garbage time.....which was the entire second half.

But defensively, I don't know. I haven't watched the game again, which I normally would have done by now, but even live it was hard to tell what the hell the point was most of the time. Just a wasted game all around, and even in defeat you should get something out of a game.

• Plus1 4
4 hours ago, Red_Payne said:

We need to recruit and develop at least one force multiplier in that front seven. Inside, edge rusher, hand in the dirt, blitzer....whatever, it can take a lot of forms...but someone you have to really plan around, someone that can really disrupt what an offense wants to do. There is nobody even close to this right now. Opposing teams can block and pass pro however they want because they have no worries.

Secondly, when that play is identified; the RB hits his crease, the screen is set up, the pass has been thrown...defensive scheme no longer matters. At that point it's 11 people getting to the ball carrier. This is where your nastiness comes in. Whose gonna fight through blocks, jam up lanes, and make tackles. 

• Plus1 2

Block destruction.....bend, but don't break,  Great catches phrases with little to no results.  It doesn't take a guru to realize this scheme (or the way it's implemented) sucks.

It's much like Banker and his quarters coverage vs Narduzi and his.....Diaco's 3-4 vs Wisky's 3-4.......A like in name only.  Not close to results....

• Plus1 4

I honestly am totally baffled at what has transpired on the defensive side of the ball.  When we hired Diaco, I thought we would have an attacking defense where guys would be filling holes and blitzing from anywhere across the LOS and well disguised.  

What we ended up with was three guys standing around playing patty cake with 5 O linemen and the other 8 running around in the back field acting like they have never covered a receiver before.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Red_Payne said:

I miss downhill, attack, in-your-face defense... It simply breeds nastiness on the lines (both lines, if you have 1's v. 1's during practice/off-season).

... Maybe if Frost is hired he brings in some of his 96/97 line teammates to try and reignite that flame. He would need to bring in a D-Coord. that brings and attack-style play first, though.

And that style also creates turnovers. I don't mind giving up a couple big plays in exchange for a couple turnovers, I also believe that QBs are much worse under pressure.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I honestly am totally baffled at what has transpired on the defensive side of the ball.  When we hired Diaco, I thought we would have an attacking defense where guys would be filling holes and blitzing from anywhere across the LOS and well disguised.  

What we ended up with was three guys standing around playing patty cake with 5 O linemen and the other 8 running around in the back field acting like they have never covered a receiver before.

It's like Diaco gets scared when an opponent has weapons. We attacked the hell out of Illinois and did similar to Rutgers. I saw a little press Saturday night but you could tell Diaco didn't trust the secondary enough to blitz or play aggressive at all. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We're getting what some posters that knew Diaco's defense told us what we would get when he was hired.  It's one thing for fans to be surprised but there are no excuses for Riley who hired him.  Riley either didn't look deeply enough into Diaco's defense to know it was bad or he knew what Diaco's defense was and wanted it.  Either way Riley didn't help himself if he was trying to keep his job.  I'm not convinced that he does.

32 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

It's like Diaco gets scared when an opponent has weapons. We attacked the hell out of Illinois and did similar to Rutgers. I saw a little press Saturday night but you could tell Diaco didn't trust the secondary enough to blitz or play aggressive at all. 

Yeah, I thought we were seeing a change of attitude after Illinois & Rutgers, which gave me some hope, but then it promptly disappeared. Oh well, maybe next year...

Edited by Toe
49 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I am not sure what the difference would have been. Blitz and press and maybe get beat deep, or just play 10 tards ogf and not stop them either. At least roll the dice and try.

• Plus1 1
Just now, runningblind said:

I am not sure what the difference would have been. Blitz and press and maybe get beat deep, or just play 10 tards ogf and not stop them either. At least roll the dice and try.

Yep, it would have been something. We literally didn't get a single stop (the last drive for OSU doesn't count) so what difference does it make if they got it in one play over 10 plays. At least with a 1 play drive it's more rest for the defense lol. It's as if Diaco will only blitz if he doesn't think the opponent is capable of throwing it past 10 yards. Terrible strategy against JT and the athletes OSU is able to roll out there. Of course those guys are going to get open and if we give JT all day of course he is going to hit them. Everyone has been bagging on JT for a few years now but you don't have to dig too deep to see he was on his way to a heisman his freshman year, and that was because of how well he was tossing it around. Dude can throw, do not give him time to do it!

• Plus1 1