OWH: Passive Scheme, Confusion Hard to Understand

Mavric

1 hour ago, Saunders said:

Five more games....

I would feel so confident if we had a Taylor Martinez, Rex Burkhead, Kenny Bell, etc. But we don't. I don't know what we have aside from just heaving it around to Stanley Morgan and JD Spielman when we're down 21+ points.

I'm not sure if your 5 more games means we have a chance or 5 more games until a new era begins? Lol.

Edited by FTW
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

It's like Diaco gets scared when an opponent has weapons. We attacked the hell out of Illinois and did similar to Rutgers. I saw a little press Saturday night but you could tell Diaco didn't trust the secondary enough to blitz or play aggressive at all. 

But even when Diaco was NOT blitzing or applying pressure the extra help for the secondary was not effective at all..... so why not blitz and shake it up..??  

36 minutes ago, FTW said:

I would feel so confident if we had a Taylor Martinez, Rex Burkhead, Kenny Bell, etc. But we don't. I don't know what we have aside from just heaving it around to Stanley Morgan and JD Spielman when we're down 21+ points.

I'm not sure if your 5 more games means we have a chance or 5 more games until a new era begins? Lol.

Five more games to a new era.

On that third touchdown where their slot receiver crossed into an empty middle of the field and then just trotted into the end zone I said to myself, "Why don't we have a play like that in our playbook?"

But yeah, as far as defense goes, I will say this over and over: Our next coach HAS TO take a look at what the top five teams in the conference do on defense, and then just do that. Iowa essentially never gets blown out. As I said in a couple other threads, in the past 15 seasons Iowa has never allowed more than 34 points to Wisconsin (but we've been blown out by Wisconsin multiple times).

Diaco is very similar to Bo in his defensive philosophies. Which is bad, because Bo's defenses SUCKED in big games once we got into the B1G. 

This cannot be this hard, can it?

5 hours ago, runningblind said:

I am not sure what the difference would have been. Blitz and press and maybe get beat deep, or just play 10 tards ogf and not stop them either. At least roll the dice and try.

If we blitzed like mad, perhaps we would have forced a turnover, or sacked the QB and ended up stopping a drive. The alternative was 8 consecutive TDs :dunno

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I honestly am totally baffled at what has transpired on the defensive side of the ball.  When we hired Diaco, I thought we would have an attacking defense where guys would be filling holes and blitzing from anywhere across the LOS and well disguised.  

What we ended up with was three guys standing around playing patty cake with 5 O linemen and the other 8 running around in the back field acting like they have never covered a receiver before.

As I posted in another thread, I thought Diaco would bring several aggressive blitz packages when I heard that the line was to just 'take up space'.  I thought it would be like the way Bo had the D play when he was our DC under Frank - blitz from every angle.   Either we don't have the players for the blitz package or the Diaco D scheme is as anemic and misguided as it appears. 

And can you imagine telling top DE and DT recruits - come to NU where you will just take up space while everyone else gets the glory and have fun.  Playing tag with OL and never getting to the QB makes for a dull existence. 

Edited by TGHusker
  • Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Either we don't have the players for the blitz package or the Diaco D scheme is as anemic and misguided as it appears. 

I have a real problem with that.  OK...maybe he doesn't have ultra elite talent at all the linebacker spots?  But, if this is the case, he is then just playing scared and not even giving these kids a chance to succeed.  It's like understanding you don't have the best salesman in the industry so you don't send him out on a sales call.

6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

And can you imagine telling top DE and DT recruits - come to NU where you will just take up space while everyone else gets the glory and have fun.   runs around trying to act like they are covering receivers but have no clue what they are supposed to do.

Sorry, had to correct this for you. Hope you don't mind.

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have a real problem with that.  OK...maybe he doesn't have ultra elite talent at all the linebacker spots?  But, if this is the case, he is then just playing scared and not even giving these kids a chance to succeed.  It's like understanding you don't have the best salesman in the industry so you don't send him out on a sales call.

Sorry, had to correct this for you. Hope you don't mind.

LOL  yes - it needed that strategic correction.  Because there is no glory in what is happening now:bang:eek:

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Wow, thanks for the trip down memory lane ... I think.   I do remember reading that post.  It has turned out to be prophetic.

It's the post I had in mind when I posted before. +1 to Mav for digging it up. If a fan recognizes these things a head coach should also be able to. Either Riley can't see these things or Diaco's 3/4ths defense is what he wanted.

Diaco’s scheme isn’t the attacking 4-3 we all know and love. But I wonder how much of his hesitancy to get too aggressive is caused by the injuries in the secondary. We’re so beat up back there, so maybe he’s compensating by playing more passively. It’s clearly not wokring, but I wonder if that is his thought process.