** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

3 minutes ago, gratefullred said:

How much would it hurt to see Riley win 5 and get another year while Frost wins 9 and lands a job at Tennessee or LSU?

This guy is our Harbaugh.  He can come in and fix everything, day 1.

I'd be 25% surprised if LSU fires Orgeron.  They'd have to go full dumpster fire for that to happen.  Plus it sets a really terrible precedent of firing the HC after one year even though the LSU situation is unique.  

For Nebraska's sake, I do think Tennessee will try to swing for the fences with a big name coach and if they can't, perhaps kick the tires on David Cutcliffe since he is so close with Peyton Manning.  They've already tried the younger up and coming coach route with Kiffin and Dooley and neither had much success...admittedly, neither of those coaches have enjoyed as much success as Frost did as HCs.  That being said, both were bigger names than Frost under difference circumstances.  Kiffin had NFL experience plus being one of the architects of the juggernaut USC teams and Dooley has huge SEC ties.   After those didn't work out they went the more established HC route with Butch Jones.  While I've never thought much of Jones as a HC as I think he's done a masterful job of riding Brian Kelly's recruits to bigger jobs he still had a good track record of success.  

Where I'm going in my rambling rant lol is I think Frost isn't going to the SEC.

On 9/22/2017 at 7:54 AM, unlfan said:

Simply too unproven for me. I love Nebraska guys. But if the answer to the question "Would this guy be considered if he wasn't a Nebraska alum?" is no, im going to pass.

Same applies to Trev.

I will be VERY disappointed if we end up with the Trev/Frost combo.

I doubt he comes here if he "proves himself"  i think we are either going to get someone proven to be average(riley) or a young coach.  

^ Yeah, it's not quite 'one and done', but it's pretty common these days for hot coaches to only be HC at a smaller college for a couple years before getting snatched up by a bigger school. Tom Herman was head coach at Houston for two years before Texas grabbed him, and that's how many years of HC experience Frost will have at the end of this season. Frost is also the same age as Herman.

20 minutes ago, Toe said:

^ Yeah, it's not quite 'one and done', but it's pretty common these days for hot coaches to only be HC at a smaller college for a couple years before getting snatched up by a bigger school. Tom Herman was head coach at Houston for two years before Texas grabbed him, and that's how many years of HC experience Frost will have at the end of this season. Frost is also the same age as Herman.

Tom Herman, James Franklin (I would compare Vandy to UCF in terms of success), PJ Fleck, and Jeff Brohm are all guys who are similar to Frost in age and experience, who have been hired by Power 5 schools in the past few years.

• Plus1 1

^ Lincoln Riley seems to be doing pretty well at OU. His previous pedigree has no HC experience and he only spent 2 years under Stoops before being named his successor.

Some people just have it. Scott Frost has it. Mike Riley doesn't. Frost should have been the guy back when Riley was hired. 

My fear at this point is that he doesn't want the job. He's doing an amazing thing at UCF and his life will be a lot easier in the Florida hot bed versus the Midwest desert.

• Plus1 3
19 minutes ago, HuskerMav11 said:

^ Lincoln Riley seems to be doing pretty well at OU. His previous pedigree has no HC experience and he only spent 2 years under Stoops before being named his successor.

Some people just have it. Scott Frost has it. Mike Riley doesn't. Frost should have been the guy back when Riley was hired. 

Exactly.  It's like the picture thingy I posted above.  Lombardi knew what "it" was.  And Frost has "it".  So does Lincoln Riley.  Stoops and the OU AD saw it.  It's not that hard to see it with even just a small sampling of results.  

It was smack-you-upside-the-head easy to see that Riley never had it with his vast sampling of mediocre results.

There's one difference between the resumes of some of these guys (and it's something I'd like to see from our next HC): they were fairly recently coordinators at top-tier programs.

PJ Fleck: was actually never a coordinator anywhere. Ended up at a mid-tier P5 school.

Jeff Brohm: only coordinator experience was ten years ago at Louisville, and they sucked back then. Ended up at a lower-tier P5 school.

Lincoln Riley: promoted directly from OC at Oklahoma to HC there.

Tom Herman: was recently OC for a top-tier football team (Ohio State). Ended up at Texas.

Scott Frost: was recently OC for a top-tier football team (Oregon). Ended up...?

James Franklin: maybe the exception here, his experience was all at lower-tier P5 schools. Ended up at Penn State.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't get the thought that Frost needs more time to prove himself.  Coaches with his amount of experience are getting hired all over the place, even at big P5 schools.

Well, he's currently 9-7 as a head coach. His résumé, at least to me, doesn't really scream P5 yet. Maybe lower tier P5.

A strong finish to the 2017 season will do wonders for him. He'll be highly sought after if UCF goes undefeated or wins the conference and goes to a major bowl.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Well, he's currently 9-7 as a head coach. His résumé, at least to me, doesn't really scream P5 yet. Maybe lower tier P5.

A strong finish to the 2017 season will do wonders for him. He'll be highly sought after if UCF goes undefeated or wins the conference and goes to a major bowl.

So your only basis for him being a head coach is W/L? We should have jumped in hiring KF from Iowa after the 2015 season. 

Also 9-7 is a better record than what Mike Riley had and we hired him. Also compare his Resume to the names listed above and then tell me how he isn't P5 ready, yet all those guys are. Also, how is 32 year old Lincoln Riley, the head coach of #3 OU, ready for P5 but Frost isn't.

Also how was Tom Osborne ever ready to coach the number 1 team in the country, yet he had zero head coaching experience? Pick any of the top guys who have coached in the last 20 years and when you look at their first P5 head coaching gig, let me know how someone thought they were ready, yet they wouldn't have passed your sniff test.

I don't think you're ready to judge whether a coach is ready to coach P5 football...

Edit:

Since your a numbers guy, I put together some for you

Scott Frost coach at UNI for 2 years. Their record while he was there: 24-4. Next 2 years they go 14-9

Scott Frost coached at Oregon for 7 years. Their record while he was there: 79-15. Next year they go 4-8

UNI was 7-4 the year before Frost showed up.

At the very least, he seems to have a knack for being part of successful programs. If Scott Frost refused to coach at Nebraska, that could be a bad sign.

33 minutes ago, HuskerMav11 said:

So your only basis for him being a head coach is W/L? We should have jumped in hiring KF from Iowa after the 2015 season. 

Also 9-7 is a better record than what Mike Riley had and we hired him. Also compare his Resume to the names listed above and then tell me how he isn't P5 ready, yet all those guys are. Also, how is 32 year old Lincoln Riley, the head coach of #3 OU, ready for P5 but Frost isn't.

Also how was Tom Osborne ever ready to coach the number 1 team in the country, yet he had zero head coaching experience? Pick any of the top guys who have coached in the last 20 years and when you look at their first P5 head coaching gig, let me know how someone thought they were ready, yet they wouldn't have passed your sniff test.

I don't think you're ready to judge whether a coach is ready to coach P5 football...

Not to turn this into a pi$$ing contest but Lincoln Riley did have some measurable success as an OC in multiple stops before getting hired @ OU.  4 years at East Carolina and then 2 years @ OU.  My only real knock on Frost initially was I needed to see him have success when he didn't have a Heisman Trophy candidate @ QB.  He did a nice job in 2015 calling the offense when Oregon had some injuries @ QB and he kept the offense humming.  And he's done a really nice job @ UCF.  To make it sound like Lincoln Riley was a totally unknown quantity is a bit disingenuous.

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

In case you hadn't noticed, Central Florida has 51 points and is up by 28.

On the road.

In the third quarter.

I've been following it on gamecast since I don't have ESPNU.  It's been delayed for a long time now.  I wonder if they'll just call it a game.

• Huskerzoo changed the title to ** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***
  • Huskerzoo pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Huskerzoo locked this topic