** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

1 minute ago, Nebhawk said:

Think about Gebbia or POB running a spread attack where your QB needs to run the ball to counter defensive pressure?  Yeah, thats not a good picture in my head.  Morgan, misses more balls than he ever catches.  Sure, he has some good qualities, but not dependable.  We have some pieces, but need many more even to win 7 games next year.  Like I have been saying on other threads, this is not just a coaching issue, this is a talent issue as well.  The fact that we think we are"Nebraska" and automatically have more talent than others, is just plain wrong.  Watch the field, and you will see we don't even compete with other teams speed.  So yes, we need more players.  Alot more players.  This isn't the team that Solich even had for talent.  This isn't even what Callahan left behind.  This is a mess of a roster.  We were recruiting players, just to recruit.  We had no idea where we would put these guys once here.  Just recruited for the numbers, not for quality.

What you are seeing with your eye test is not a lack of talent, it's the result of poor coaching.  Did anyone look at the .500 '98 Sooners and think, "There's a bunch of future national champions on that field!"

Just now, Stumpy1 said:

He is winning because some of the players that were on the 0-12 team were also apart of a 9-4, 12-1 and 10-4 team.

He's winning because he's a great coach.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, Isle of View said:

What you are seeing with your eye test is not a lack of talent, it's the result of poor coaching.  Did anyone look at the .500 '98 Sooners and think, "There's a bunch of future national champions on that field!"

Yeah, Coach Blake left OU with a top 10 recruiting class two years in a row, and couldn;t coach them.  Stoops came in a took QB recruits and put them at Safety, and running backs at Linebackers and wow, they went 7-5 in his first year.  Great point.  In year 2, they won a title with 2 years of his recruits.  Thats what I am saying.  Current roster is not good enough to win more than 5-6 games next season.  Not good enough, just plain and simple.

• Plus1 1

The only expectations a new coach has for next year is to not lose to FCS schools and finish 3rd or above in the B1G west.  Hold Purdue and Iowa under 40.  Make a garbage bowl and show progress in all facets of the game.

Those are not big expectations and most coaches worth their salt would recognize 2ND in the B1G West and 8 wins should be easily in their reach.

Expectations will go up from there.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

He's winning because he's a great coach.

I agree sir, it is coaching, and it is mental. It is a lack of focus, which is manifested from a lack of discipline. How many times do you see us do something good, and the very next play a false start? It is a momentum killer, and a confidence killer... This falls back on coaches, players have to held accountable, drop a pass, sit out a play, dumb penalty, sit out a play, throw pick six after pick six, POB go in a series.... There is no accountability, and no standard being set.

These are young men, they need leaders to lead them, to teach them, to hold them to a standard.

• Plus1 1

Yeah, Coach Blake left OU with a top 10 recruiting class two years in a row, and couldn;t coach them.  Stoops came in a took QB recruits and put them at Safety, and running backs at Linebackers and wow, they went 7-5 in his first year.  Great point.  In year 2, they won a title with 2 years of his recruits.  Thats what I am saying.  Current roster is not good enough to win more than 5-6 games next season.  Not good enough, just plain and simple.

BULLSHI** dude, this roster has the talent to rip nine games next year, not a title but at least compete to win the west.

• Plus1 3

No, Blake didn't have any top ten recruiting classes at OU.  OU might have had a few when he was an assistant under Switzer.  But John never had any highly rated classes as HC.

Great point with OU in 98.  Sure, who knows if Blake would have coached that team if he wouldnt have gone 7-5 as well.  He was only a couple of games off the year before, but the Sooners knew he wasn't the long term answer.  OU won with a Juco recruit, that Stoops brought in.  Josh Heupel.  So, yeah, this is similiar to what needs to happen here.  Great point in bringing up OU.!!

The first thing that needs to happen is to get the liabilities off the field cough cough, lamar jackson.. Next you put players where they fit, Kalu was not a safety, he should hae been playing in L.Jackson's cb spot. Marcus Newby, and Young way too slow, Put some weight on Dismuke, put him at backer. These coaches don't have a vision..

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

And there is PLENTY of talent here now to win the West.  Next year, too.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Great point with OU in 98.  Sure, who knows if Blake would have coached that team if he wouldnt have gone 7-5 as well.  He was only a couple of games off the year before, but the Sooners knew he wasn't the long term answer.  OU won with a Juco recruit, that Stoops brought in.  Josh Heupel.  So, yeah, this is similiar to what needs to happen here.  Great point in bringing up OU.!!

Bob Stoop's first recruiting class in '99 was ranked #43.

I am guessing that not too many on here watch other B1G games?  We have watched two freshmen running backs in two weeks that are way better than anything we have.  We haven't played Penn St and Iowa yet, and they have better backs.  If you have been watching, other than Wisky, our Qb's don't even compare to what others have.  Wr's, yeah, other teams have them too, they catch the ball and run down the field with it.  Sure we have JD, and he is good, but he is small and not durable.  Thats just on offense.  Have you seen our defensive back field?  We don't stop anyone.  Sure, we can keep saying its coaching.  It is coaching, not denying that.  I am not a Riley fan at all.  Just saying that this program is down.  Our strength and conditioning is not the same.  Things have run there course here.  We are in free fall mode.  In saying that our current roster is good enough to win the West, I don't see that happening.  Eye test tells me we lack overall team speed.  This would be the first thing that a new coach would identify, and change.  WE have seen two running backs in two weeks go for more than 50 yards on us, and we can't catch them.  

3 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I am guessing that not too many on here watch other B1G games?  We have watched two freshmen running backs in two weeks that are way better than anything we have.  We haven't played Penn St and Iowa yet, and they have better backs.  If you have been watching, other than Wisky, our Qb's don't even compare to what others have.  Wr's, yeah, other teams have them too, they catch the ball and run down the field with it.  Sure we have JD, and he is good, but he is small and not durable.  Thats just on offense.  Have you seen our defensive back field?  We don't stop anyone.  Sure, we can keep saying its coaching.  It is coaching, not denying that.  I am not a Riley fan at all.  Just saying that this program is down.  Our strength and conditioning is not the same.  Things have run there course here.  We are in free fall mode.  In saying that our current roster is good enough to win the West, I don't see that happening.  Eye test tells me we lack overall team speed.  This would be the first thing that a new coach would identify, and change.  WE have seen two running backs in two weeks go for more than 50 yards on us, and we can't catch them.  

Here are some experts that "see" talent better than you: https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite

We have the #29 best talent.

PSU is #19.

Wisconsion is #37

Iowa is #49

UCF is #55

Northern Illinois is #90

• Plus1 4
8 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

BRO!!! our offensive line is dog doo. I am not saying that our RB are elite, because they are not!, but that is on coaching, we have not focused on recruiting backs, it is mind boggling, but it is truth. R. Davis does not recruit good backs, and our O line exacerbates the problem. 

It takes a combo of coaching and talent.  Everyone knows that.  Frost just won't come in here and win with what we have already.  That is why this program is never looking at things the right way.  Fan base assumes we are still getting game changers as recruits.  We haven't for two decades now.  Suh and Ameer were the only two players in the last ten years to amount to anything.  Those were game changers.  Sure we have had maybe 10 drafted in the last 10 years that play in the NFL, but only two players that could change a game with one play.  

Eye test tells you a lot.  Draft board tells you more.  Tell me what players on this current roster are even on the Kiper Big board right now?  I haven't looked, but assuming we have none.  Look at other Big Ten teams in the West and see what they have?  I don't know, but guessing that some have at least a few players on the Big Board.  East Division teams?  We wil rank in the bottom half overall in draft potential.  

• Huskerzoo changed the title to ** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***
  • Huskerzoo pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Huskerzoo locked this topic