** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

Last we talked about UCF playing smash mouth with 100 OL and a DT as the fullback.

This week we have the PA PASS to the DT.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jRm0tgDmW44

The point I'd like to make isn't about using a DT as a makeshift FB, the use of complementary action plays from week to week, or the myriad of ways UCF finds to score easily. It's about the importance of having fun, and what's more fun than fat guys scoring TDs.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Dawgs4Life said:

I was just on a Tennessee message board and several of their posters were talking about how they wanted Frost for their next head coach but figured it would be tough with Nebraska likely being in the market for a new coach at the same time. A couple posters were saying they should fire Butch before you guys fire Riley to try to get a head start on Frost.

That won't make any difference, ...if Frost is coming here he has so many connections they likely already know.

29 minutes ago, unlfan said:

Is there any concern that Frost would turn down the Nebraska job?

He is on record saying that the reason he took the UCF job over other offers is the proximity to elite talent. He has mentioned this several times. Obviously, that is THE major obstacle at Nebraska.

That's the major positive he's cited. The major negative is fan support hasn't been exactly ideal down there. They need some pretty significant facilities upgrades and there are concerns on if they can raise the funds for them. Attendance and fan support issues are not uncommon for Florida sports teams, so concerns go both ways.

UCF's line has played well, but they help their linemen. The entire offense is predicated on quick, decisive decisions in the run and pass game. When they throw downfield, they don't invite 12 people to rush by formation and protection scheme. If you're going to blitz them, you're giving something up somewhere.

15 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

How about our interim AD, or the newly named AD from this week, attends the Navy/UCF matchup in person?  Two top names for Nebraska to get (Frost and Ken N) going head to head this weekend.  

I'm glad we have a bye, that'll be the game of the weekend.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

It takes a combo of coaching and talent.  Everyone knows that.  Frost just won't come in here and win with what we have already.  That is why this program is never looking at things the right way.  Fan base assumes we are still getting game changers as recruits.  We haven't for two decades now.  Suh and Ameer were the only two players in the last ten years to amount to anything.  Those were game changers.  Sure we have had maybe 10 drafted in the last 10 years that play in the NFL, but only two players that could change a game with one play.

Eye test tells you a lot.  Draft board tells you more.  Tell me what players on this current roster are even on the Kiper Big board right now?  I haven't looked, but assuming we have none.  Look at other Big Ten teams in the West and see what they have?  I don't know, but guessing that some have at least a few players on the Big Board.  East Division teams?  We wil rank in the bottom half overall in draft potential.  

That is absolute malarkey. By your metric of changing a game with one play, I would include:

Lavonte David

Taylor Martinez

Dejon Gomes

Roy Helu

Rex Burkhead

Kenny Bell

DeMornay Pierson-El circa 2014

Stanley Jean-Baptiste

Prince Amukamara

Eric Haag

Jared Crick

Alfonzo Dennard

Randy Gregory

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Edison's Enemy said:

That is absolute malarkey. By your metric of changing a game with one play, I would include:

Lavonte David

Taylor Martinez

Dejon Gomes

Roy Helu

Rex Burkhead

Kenny Bell

DeMornay Pierson-El circa 2014

Stanley Jean-Baptiste

Prince Amukamara

Eric Haag

Jared Crick

Alfonzo Dennard

Randy Gregory

Granted, I did forget a few players, but of those names, how many are or have played in the NFL for more than just preseason games?  Very few have.  Hell, Kansas St in the last 14 years has had more NFL drafted talent than we have.  I looked this up back when Bo was fired.  Dont think it has changed much from then either.  When your looking at preseason rosters in college and determining who is a top 10 team and who isn't, they look at NFL talent on the roster.  2nd they look at who is coaching them.  This is why Saban, Urban, Dabo, and Stoops were usually in the Top 10 every year.

On 10/14/2017 at 10:59 PM, skersfan said:

Not really Melscott62.  They go undefeated,  he has a chance.   Big Ten will have a loss,  ACC will have a loss, Pac 12 will have a loss,  Big 12 will have a loss,  I say this as most likely.  Not there yet.   But only Bama looks to be undefeated at the end.  You get two loss champions, who knows what happens. 

I think he would be a great choice for Nebraska, there are others though.  I am not against him coming back home.  But I really think the only reason he will come back is loyalty and love of Nebraska.  Money is not going to be the deciding factor.  I think it will have a lot to do with Coach Osborne and what he advises him to do.  

But I do not believe he will turn the program around as quickly as some feel it will happen.  There are a lot of problems, and I don't give a rats bottom what all the recruiting gurus say, we are not any where near as talented as Ohio State.  Not even close.  To beat that level of a program, you have to have similar talent, and equal or near coaching. Or you have to have a scheme that is different, and recruited for.  IE our offense of the 90's and our pipeline.  Unfortunately today most have the ability to build O and D linemen.  We don't seem to be able to recruit them or develop them.   And that has gone on since Solich left.   If we hire him and he has a blow out loss in the first year, this board will be on fire with what have we done?

I know I don't have the knowledge or ability to tell if he is the answer.   My first choice would be Kyle Whittingham of Utah.  I think he would fit at Nebraska in every aspect.  

One difference I see wt Scott coming here is that for today's recruits, he has 'star power'.  His success at Ore as OC and his success @ UCF  thus far has placed his name on the minds of future recruits.  They will want to play for him.  Contrast this with MR - most of us 'very knowledgeable NU fans' had to look up MR's name when he was named as our HC - "Mike Riley who?" was the common expression. So if we, the most knowledgeable fans in college football, didn't know MR, what was the knowledge base of recruits??:dunno  Pretty low in my estimation.  Then as you look at years 1-3 - the recruit sees one losing year, a year that started well and ended poorly wt big blow outs and now another losing year.  So that doesn't set up well.  However Frost as coach can recruit and build on  this:

1.  Frost as coach has star power - recruits know him and his assistant coaches - very good DC, good OC.

2.  NU is down - thus the opportunity to play immediately for an up and coming coach - who has been mentored by the best

3.  Opportunity to sell recruits that they can be a part of the story when the dynasty that was NU has been rebuilt. 

So while it may have been difficult to recruit to NU in the past under MR & Bo, I think Frost can flip that to his advantage by using his success and the opportunity to be a part of a big story - the rebuild of a traditional power  as the draw to bring top flight recruits to NU:restore.  Frost also understands the NU way and hopefully can rebuild the pipeline OL- patience needed as OL recruits are red shirted and play as 5th year seniors. 

Edited by TGHusker
  • Plus1 1

The year is 1996. A young Scott Frost sits in his Life Choices 287 class messing around with his teammates towards the back of the room. The Professor calls out Young Frost and encourages him to listen to this particular lecture. The professor continues his lecture on adapting to change and learning from others to ascend to your full potential. Frosty took these words to heart and went on to learn from the likes of Tom Osborn, Bill Belichick, and Chip Kelly. Frost adapted these men's philosophies and word to become the best coach in College Football. Who was that UNL Professor you ask? None other than Albert Einstain.

1 hour ago, McGuillotine said:

The year is 1996. A young Scott Frost sits in his Life Choices 287 class messing around with his teammates towards the back of the room. The Professor calls out Young Frost and encourages him to listen to this particular lecture. The professor continues his lecture on adapting to change and learning from others to ascend to your full potential. Frosty took these words to heart and went on to learn from the likes of Tom Osborn, Bill Belichick, and Chip Kelly. Frost adapted these men's philosophies and word to become the best coach in College Football. Who was that UNL Professor you ask? None other than Albert Einstain.

Are you on drugs?

• Plus1 2
  • Huskerzoo changed the title to ** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***
  • Huskerzoo pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Huskerzoo locked this topic