** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

6 hours ago, alwayshusking said:

Can't take NFL performance as an equivalent to CFB performance.  Dolphins fans are not fond of Nick Saban either.

Don't think Chip's coming here anyway.

You can take his 4 years and only 4 years as a head coach in gimmick offense the exploited the no defense PAC 10.  

Belotti set the table for his success.  Kelly did make them better, but we need someone to build a program, not tweak it.

There is a part of me that can't stop viewing Oregon as Boise State with a better brand/money.  That being said, I see Kelly as Dan Hawkins when I'd prefer Chris Peterson.

The Moos talked about the "right fit" in his presser.  To me this is an example of a situation that isn't the right fit.

Edited by gobiggergoredder

13 hours ago, Hollywoodhusker83 said:

And they should be, my guess is we're going after him, the fan base as a whole has been mentioning his name for some time now. Unless they figure out a way to pay this guy 4 or 5 million a year with their budget someone is going to snatch him out of there. That includes Florida if he decides he wants to stay in Florida which he very well could. Recruiting would be much easier down there than it would be at Nebraska. At the end of the day this is a business decision for him. While his heart might be in the Nebraska job, his mind might tell him to take the easier path considering the recruiting opportunities down there. UCF isn't going to be able to hang on to him long, a man's word in the high level coaching world is only going to last so long when enough people start knocking on his door. I will not be holding my breath that he's going to come here so I'm not disappointed if he doesn't. 

The Florida job has to be opened first, and it's a lot further from being opened than ours is. They'll probably can everyone if they don't improve this year, because that's what tends to happen, but coming off two division titles it makes more sense to fix what's broken....that offense is really broken and has been for several head coaching tenures. 

However, if Florida decides to change head coaches again, rather than work on coordinator/QB issues, I think they're making a mistake. The SEC is this big coaching circle right now where every team, aside from Bama is either just recently hired a coach, believing to be firing their coach, or both. McElwain entered the season as one of the safer jobs, along with the low expectation twins of Vanderbilt and Kentucky, and Saban. I don't think he's fired.

Personally, I don't care about Florida in regards to Frost because I believe he wants the Nebraska job, but I could be wrong, and if I am then he wasn't going to come here anyhow. In other words, I don't see it as a competition between us and anyone else. There is a question of we offer, and there's question on if he'd accept, but everything else is details. 

14 minutes ago, brophog said:

The Florida job has to be opened first, and it's a lot further from being opened than ours is. They'll probably can everyone if they don't improve this year, because that's what tends to happen, but coming off two division titles it makes more sense to fix what's broken....that offense is really broken and has been for several head coaching tenures. 

However, if Florida decides to change head coaches again, rather than work on coordinator/QB issues, I think they're making a mistake. The SEC is this big coaching circle right now where every team, aside from Bama is either just recently hired a coach, believing to be firing their coach, or both. McElwain entered the season as one of the safer jobs, along with the low expectation twins of Vanderbilt and Kentucky, and Saban. I don't think he's fired.

Personally, I don't care about Florida in regards to Frost because I believe he wants the Nebraska job, but I could be wrong, and if I am then he wasn't going to come here anyhow. In other words, I don't see it as a competition between us and anyone else. There is a question of we offer, and there's question on if he'd accept, but everything else is details. 

Weird question but say Florida does can McElwain and gets Frost.....do we look into McElwain? Personally I think he is a pretty good coach with Midwest ties.

Former Nebraska Assistant Jim Walden thinks Moos is going to go after Scott Frost or Chip Kelly.

Walden, 79, watched from the Pacific Northwest last Saturday night as the Buckeyes handed Nebraska its worst home loss in a conference tilt since 1949. The coach-turned-radio personality has a foot in both Cornhuskers and Cougars camps: Walden was a graduate assistant in Lincoln under Bob Devaney in 1969 and 1970 and an assistant under Devaney in 1971 and 1972. He joined the Washington State staff as an assistant 1977 and coached Wazzu from 1978 to 1986.

Scott Frost is going to have to make a decision. It’ll be him or Chip Kelly,” Walden continued. “I’m sorry to be the voice of doom for Mike Riley, which I hate, because I happen to think the world of him.”

LINK

18 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Weird question but say Florida does can McElwain and gets Frost.....do we look into McElwain? Personally I think he is a pretty good coach with Midwest ties.

If they fire him, someone will snag him, I'm pretty sure of that. He's done well with good QB play and not so good without. The solution seems pretty simple to me.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, brophog said:

If they fire him, someone will snag him, I'm pretty sure of that. He's done well with good QB play and not so good without. The solution seems pretty simple to me.

Frost as OC haha but I agree with you, if they can get someone in there who can field a competent offense they should want to hold on to McElwain. The defense had been pretty nasty since he has arrived, though as you have pointed out that really hasn't been the Gators problem. 

2 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

You can take his 4 years and only 4 years as a head coach in gimmick offense the exploited the no defense PAC 10

No, the A11 is a gimmick offense. Kelly's offense is as legit as anything else out there. People will say teams have learned how to better defend read option or RPOs. Well, people have known how to defend iso and counter for 4000 years, and people still run those.

28 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Frost as OC haha but I agree with you, if they can get someone in there who can field a competent offense they should want to hold on to McElwain. The defense had been pretty nasty since he has arrived, though as you have pointed out that really hasn't been the Gators problem. 

I think Frost was always meant to be a head coach, OC is just that necessary stepping stone. This is what I wrote about it in 2015 after the UCF announcement.

I think Frost does well. He already acts like a head coach, speaks like a head coach. I wonder how he'll handle the increased media responsibilities. He can be a bit short there, to be honest. Can't blame him, some of those questions are ridiculously stupid, but that's a part of his job now.

I wrote that based on his press dealings as an offensive coordinator. I think he's much better with the press than he was then, but he's pretty quick to stop them if they're trying to lead the conversation in a direction he doesn't like or if they get stuck on buzzwords.   

read an article that UCF has a Football Excellence Fund, they started it when Frost arrived, they are soliciting funds from donors to boost the salaries of the staff.......or so it seems,

Even Frost has donated some of his salary to the fund......not so sure Frost would come here anyway......he gets 2 mil per year.....i would guess they will raise him a bit after this season,

7 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

read an article that UCF has a Football Excellence Fund, they started it when Frost arrived, they are soliciting funds from donors to boost the salaries of the staff.......or so it seems,

Even Frost has donated some of his salary to the fund......not so sure Frost would come here anyway......he gets 2 mil per year.....i would guess they will raise him a bit after this season,

Yea if we skimp. People are talking about offering 5 mil plus, UCF can't match that so Frost would be choosing the UCF program over the Husker program and a significant pay raise. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yea if we skimp. People are talking about offering 5 mil plus, UCF can't match that so Frost would be choosing the UCF program over the Husker program and a significant pay raise. 

that's big money......Frost might come if he could bring all his staff and be assured they would all get big money as well.

^^ appears Frost has a good staff. Perhaps he can repeat what Tom did - keep assistants for many, many years.  That longivity helps to develop players and brings consistency that our team needs. MR has canned a DC and 3 assistant coaches after 2 years.  That is a prescription for failure- as we are seeing this year

I have been saying start out at $5M with the first offer the entire time. He is a bright coach and those coaches do not come cheap after they have shown what they can do. Frost's staff is not going to come with a cheap price tag and I am perfectly fine with that. Saban gets $11M per year now. 

5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

^^ appears Frost has a good staff. Perhaps he can repeat what Tom did - keep assistants for many, many years.  That longivity helps to develop players and brings consistency that our team needs. MR has canned a DC and 3 assistant coaches after 2 years.  That is a prescription for failure- as we are seeing this year

I’m sure you agree, but just to be clear.

The staff changes were needed. The problem was in the original hires. 

It’s imperative that we don’t go cheep on allowing Frost to make good decisions the first time when setting up hus staff.