** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

Just now, Isle of View said:

Are you going to be OK if we hire Frost?  

I'm not against hiring him.  I just think there is an unhealthy lovefest going on about him right now.  It's one of those, "Be careful what you wish for." type things for me.

I'm trying to temper my expectations and be a little more objective about what might happen. 

If he is the target, I hope Moos does everything he can to try to eliminate him as a candidate and not go in guns blazing only to realize we were bidding only against ourselves.

And what if Moos goes and hires someone else?  This fan base won't even give the new coach a chance unless it's Saban, Urb, or Dabo, or someone like that.

Then there is the other side of the coin that he turns us down.  How low would the program look if we couldn't bring the prodigal son home?

I would just rather temper the expectations for now.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Isle of View said:

Right...and the big takeaway from that article, is this:

Frost even pointed out Thursday it's actually easier for him to recruit at UCF than when he was an assistant at Oregon. It's no secret Oregon, because of its tiny recruiting base, must convince athletes to travel hundreds, even thousands of miles, to attend school in the Pacific Northwest. It's not an easy sell.

"I've been recruiting all week," Frost said Thursday. "On Tuesday, I drove to a [nearby] town in Florida, recruited and was back in Orlando that night. Yesterday, I drove to another town in Florida and was back at home last night. That's a lot different than flying all over the country and sleeping in a different state every night."

Remember: Scott has a young one on the way. Being a dad is going to be more important than being a head coach, and being able to drive home and see the kid when you're recruiting? That's gonna matter.

And that may be a problem for us. 

Edited by VectorVictor
1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

I would just rather temper the expectations for now.

It's only going to get worse with every UCF win. I wish the expectations were lower, too, but that's probably not a reality with the way they're playing and the seemingly inevitability of Riley's firing.

26 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Exactly. Todd McShay isn't paid to be accurate, he's paid to be interesting. He'll say whatever will be the most provocative and draw the most attention, with only a wink and a nod paid to accuracy.

I am Todd McShay.

2 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Remember: Scott has a young one on the way. Being a dad is going to be more important than being a head coach

There aren't many jobs as stressful and time demanding as being the head coach at a division 1 program. It doesn't matter if it's here or there, if you want success, you're putting in insane hours. 

In the first video of this thread he talks about taking his wife out during the time off with the hurricane because of how rare that is during the season. He understands the time requirements and sacrifices involved.

9 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Remember: Scott has a young one on the way. Being a dad is going to be more important than being a head coach, and being able to drive home and see the kid when you're recruiting? That's gonna matter.

I'm a family guy too, but for $4 million a year I would take the family with me in the private plane and hire a nanny for game days.

3 hours ago, Red_Payne said:

Going undefeated and being snubbed of the playoff in favor of 3 1-loss P5 teams would create a bigger sense of 'unfinished business', no?

No, it wouldn't.  Group of 5 teams don't make the playoff unless something incredibly bizarre happens.  A New Years 6 bowl is about as good as it gets for the G5 teams.  That being said, I did find an article from a couple years ago that outlines a scenario in which a G5 team could make it.  UCF this year to me (in my eyes) doesn't meet that criteria.  

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/14422162/how-group-5-team-make-college-football-playoff

Let's say UCF does go undefeated, do you really think the committee is going to put them in over a one loss Georgia, one loss Big Ten team/Wisconsin, one loss Clemson, one loss Big XII champ?  This assumes Bama is undefeated.

Edited by Xmas32
  • Plus1 1

He makes $1.7 million now and close to $2 million with incentives (that he'll likely get).  Who's going to bother packing the house up without a raise?  The last time I bothered to move for a job to another state I was offered enough to make it worth the hassle. 

Scott Frost makes close enough to Mike Riley's pay as millionaires go.  What's a couple hundred thousand here and there once you get close to the $2 million mark.

He likely wouldn't be offered less than Riley's $2.7 million if others are interested.  With extra incentives it could have an upside of around $3.5 million give or take.  Base will go up depending on the season finish and other schools looking.  His stock could totally crash if he looses a couple.  This month will totally determine the salary potential of both Frost and Riley.

Edited by InOmaha
27 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Is there some kind of Children of Men scenario emerging where Scott Frost is having the last child on earth?  I get what you're saying but this is the gig these guys sign up for.  If you wanna compete at the highest level, you're going to have to make some sacrifices.  You wanna stay @ UCF and turn them into the SE version of Boise State?  That's cool, just know that you'll never compete for national championships.

Jimbo Fisher is the HC at FSU which is arguably the top dog program in the state of Florida.  They can get just about anyone they want in Florida so you'd think he would have a pretty decent quality of life right?  Wrong, he just got divorced a year or two ago.

Edited by Xmas32