** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

5 hours ago, Roger Dorn said:

If we end up in a coaching search at the end of this year, here's my rankings:

1. Bob Stoops

2. Gary Patterson

3. David Shaw

4. Scott Frost

While the first 3 are very unlikely options, they're the 3 guys you need to call and make them say no before going after Frost. 

If you want a spread offense guy, I think Frost is the top option over Leach and Kelly. This is due to the fact Frost has Neb ties, incorporates more power run concepts that the other two and is a younger, more likely better recruiting option.

Awesome, there is zero chance your 1st 3 are coming, so Frosty it is!

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

ESPN interview with Frost and more on him playing scout team QB in preparation for playing Navy.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/138889/ucf-coach-scott-frosts-new-role-scout-team-quarterback

3 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Glad to see this thread turned into another Scott Frost circle $%$J  session.  It was a good effort C N Red.

To stay on topic.  This is the problem when you put your eggs all into one basket.  If it doesn't work out, everyone is ticked.  I've seen some names floated by other posters like Dave Doeren, Venables, Matt Campbell and others that I think would make good HCs should Frost not work out for whatever reason.  The issue is people are hellbent on Frost or bust.  If it comes up bust, how much more fractured is the fan base going to be?

In the case of Frost we really should be able to go through back-channels and gauge his interest so we know at the end of the season whether to move-in or move-on. One guy I might look at is Bronco Mendenhall. He did good things at BYU and while his first season was a struggle at Virginia they are really rolling now.

Personally IF no Scott Frost (in order)...

Craig Bohl

Troy Calhoun 

Kyle Whittingham

Willie Fritz 

By the way here's an article from a couple years ago from Bruce Feldman about Troy Calhoun and his offense. 

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/mountain-west-conference-air-force-academy-falcons-troy-calhoun-overlooked-072715

Edited by BartonHusker

7 hours ago, C N Red said:

Ya, please try to keep it on topic. Theres already a thread on Frost.

Will the choice be made single handedly by ADMoos, will a search firm be used, should ADMoos be allowed to go rogue and choose a coach himself?

Technically the thread has always been "on topic", only the initial post hasn't been about Frost. :(

Personally, I think he'll use 1-800-ineedacoach. Be advised, lines may be busy in the southeastern United States.

Husker fans really painting themselves in a corner on this Frost thing. No one else will be good enough, the fan base will be pissed when we don't get him and the new coach won't get full or at least the same support as Frost would have gotten. Why does it have to be Frost or bust? Why must everyone suggest Frost will be the next TO? If we had him we'd be playing for national championships now! I don't know I believe that. I think we are romanticising Frost a bit much. Nebraska isn't UCF but the AAC sure as hell isn't the BIG. I like Frost and think he would do well but to think he'd have this team competing for a national title right now is a bit foolish. We may be doing better sure but that is a high standard to set, competing for a NC in year 3. 

• Plus1 5

10 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Husker fans really painting themselves in a corner on this Frost thing. No one else will be good enough, the fan base will be pissed when we don't get him and the new coach won't get full or at least the same support as Frost would have gotten. Why does it have to be Frost or bust? Why must everyone suggest Frost will be the next TO? If we had him we'd be playing for national championships now! I don't know I believe that. I think we are romanticising Frost a bit much. Nebraska isn't UCF but the AAC sure as hell isn't the BIG. I like Frost and think he would do well but to think he'd have this team competing for a national title right now is a bit foolish. We may be doing better sure but that is a high standard to set, competing for a NC in year 3. 

Agree. Not that I'm a fan of Langs, but to take a cue from him, we might want to pump our brakes on an instantaneous turn around.  But I really think we need to not put our eggs all in the same basket. I am a huge fan of Frost.  Think he'd be great here.  Said the thing to a buddy yesterday that if we don't get Frost it could get ugly...

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

We may be doing better sure but that is a high standard to set, competing for a NC in year 3. 

NC in year 3, maybe a bit much. But if Frost came and he doesn't have the team back to an elite level by Year 3, I'd have serious questions to ask, because history is pretty clear that those first 2-3 years are very telling of what a coach will do. By the time we're where we are with Riley, we'd know the answer on if Frost was the guy or if we'd want to look elsewhere. I have as much belief he'll do well here as I did when UCF hired him, but you don't make the hire if you're not willing to fire.

It was the same with Pelini for me. If the goal was to get past that plateau, I'd have fired him 2 years prior. If you have that really high expectation level, no use wasting time hoping you're going to get there, not in today's environment.