** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/138889/ucf-coach-scott-frosts-new-role-scout-team-quarterback

This story pretty much sums up why its Frost or bust. He is young, he is energetic. He is a players coach, and players respect that. He does things players can relate to (i.e. strapping up on the scout team....err no chin strap) This guy gets "it". He is part of the young energetic crowd of coaches that are coming up. 

• Plus1 1

I wouldn't say I'm a Frost or bust guy; but I will say we are lucky that one of the hottest young coaches right now happens to be a former NU quarterback that led us to a national title.  If Frost had the exact same resume with the only difference being he won a championship as quarterback at Somewhere Else U, I'm not sure we beat out Tennessee, Missouri, UCLA, Arkansas etc. for his services.

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

This is just it, almost every coach Notre Dame has had since Holtz retired had at least one good season.  Bob Davie had them in the top 10 and in the Fiesta Bowl in 2000.  Willingham had them in the top 10 in 2002 until they dropped their final two games.  Weis had them top 10 in 05'.  I don't know how much more time Kelly gets, but he's still got some losses coming this year.  He's got USC, NC State, undefeated Miami, and Stanford left on the schedule.  I think he loses at least three of those games. 

I have a feeling we're going to find out how comparable the Notre Dame job is to ours as early as January.  It was very telling back in 04/05 when Urban Meyer passed on his "dream" job to take the Florida job.  Will we see a repeat of this with Frost in a couple of months? 

Call me crazy but I think Notre Dame wins all the tough games you listed with the exception of Stanford.  They have to go to Stanford the week after they play Navy in a sandwich spot.  They have a tricky 3 game closing schedule.  I do think Miami is doing it with a little bit of smoke and mirrors this year.  Losing Walton is going to be really problematic.

I guess I'm having some difficulty following you.  On one hand you mention Notre Dame is a coaching graveyard yet you also mention that every coach has at least one good season?  If the point you're trying to make is that Notre Dame is a tough place to win year in and year out due to the factors I mentioned plus insane expectations than yes, I would agree with you.

Edited by Xmas32
  • Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

Oh there's plenty of evidence that Frost is as close to a sure thing as you'll ever find, if you're willing to look at it.  Especially for Nebraska.

Plenty of people are looking 'at it.' Coyly suggesting they don't understand or somehow have blinders on is presumptuous and imperious.

I also find this phrasing lacking in substance - "there's plenty of evidence that Frost is as close to a sure thing as you'll ever find." It lacks commitment. Frost is building himself as a potential great hire for a school in the future, but this reverent pedestal he's being put on is silly.

• Plus1 3
Just now, Enhance said:

Plenty of people are looking 'at it.' Coyly suggesting they don't understand or somehow have blinders on is presumptuous and imperious.

I also find this phrasing lacking in substance - "there's plenty of evidence that Frost is as close to a sure thing as you'll ever find." It lacks commitment. Frost is building himself as a potential great hire for a school in the future, but this reverent pedestal he's being put on is silly.

Maybe I have a gift.  He is a sure thing.  Bookmark my post.  We'll revisit it in a couple years.

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

I wouldn't say I'm a Frost or bust guy; but I will say we are lucky that one of the hottest young coaches right now happens to be a former NU quarterback that led us to a national title.  If Frost had the exact same resume with the only difference being he won a championship as quarterback at Somewhere Else U, I'm not sure we beat out Tennessee, Missouri, UCLA, Arkansas etc. for his services.

Or incredibly unlucky. He has a solid reputation at Nebraska that would be significantly tainted by failure as a head coach.

I don't think any of us can effectively gauge what his history here means.

39 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Call me crazy but I think Notre Dame wins all the tough games you listed with the exception of Stanford.  They have to go to Stanford the week after they play Navy in a sandwich spot.  They have a tricky 3 game closing schedule.  I do think Miami is doing it with a little bit of smoke and mirrors this year.  Losing Walton is going to be really problematic.

I guess I'm having some difficulty following you.  On one hand you mention Notre Dame is a coaching graveyard yet you also mention that every coach has at least one good season?  If the point you're trying to make is that Notre Dame is a tough place to win year in and year out due to the factors I mentioned plus insane expectations than yes, I would agree with you.

Every coach here has had at least one good season since TO retired as well.  No coach here and no coach at ND thus far has put a string of them together.  So far, each coach since Holtz retired and TO retired has been fired.  I doubt Kelly gets fired this year unless the wheels really come off the cart, but when he has another season like last year he's as good as gone.  Notre Dame really thought they were getting Urban Meyer.  They didn't.  A lot of us think we're getting Frost.  What if we don't?  The graveyard continues. 

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

"Frost or Bust" shouldn't be used to describe people who only specifically want him to be our head coach. It should be used to describe the state of our football program.

Coaching hires are gambles and there's no guarantee of success in the realm of sports. However, when you factor in all of the elements in place, almost every other prospective coach is either A) Someone who realistically will not be interested in coming here, or B) Someone who doesn't have either the demonstrated success or the momentum/hot name factor to place a lot of confidence in.

Scott Frost is the perfect candidate for our school. He's a former player, he's a young up and coming hot shot who would be a splash hire, and he's a coach who has done nothing but succeed everywhere he's been. Nobody else who we could actually get is going to come anywhere close resume-wise.

I think you made all this up just to get the +1s from the "We Love Frost" crowd. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, junior4949 said:

I've been reading a few things the last couple of days that really does make me wonder whether Frost will come here.  One article pointed out that he'd more than likely get a five year contract plus an extension along the way.  With the initial contract and the extension, they were throwing out roughly 35 million taking Frost out to the age of 49.  If he busts here, his career is basically over at age 49.  Then, you have to put us on par with other programs coming open in the near future as well.  Is Nebraska a better job than UCLA? 

While I have no idea whether Frost would take the job or not, I do find myself in the Frost or bust camp.  Whether we like it or not, we're becoming a coaching graveyard type program.  We're not the only program like that because we have Notre Dame and Tennessee as company.  I'm afraid we're just one uninspiring hire away from a football has been.

So you don't think we could make a good hire outside of Frost? 

5 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

I think you made all this up just to get the +1s from the "We Love Frost" crowd. 

I think it goes deeper than that.  I'm in the Frost or bust crowd, but I don't know if it's for the same reason as most.  None of us really know how many coaches have turned us down in the past three coaching searches.  However, we can assume there were several unless you're of the belief that Callahan was the primary target all along.  I've always given TO a pass on Bo because I have always felt he just hired the guy he was supposed to, but what if this wasn't the case?  What if several coaches turned TO down?  I can honestly believe Riley was Eichorst's primary target all along because I've got to believe he'd been looking and contacting for well over a year before Riley was hired. 

There are coaches who could turn this program around.  However, I don't see any of them coming here.  They're either already in a better situation, or they will be in the running for a job that's a better situation.  Frost might very well turn us down as well, but at least there's a shot.  If we don't see a change going into 2018, I think we can all assume Frost turned us down.  If this happens, we are in trouble. 

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

So you don't think we could make a good hire outside of Frost? 

It depends on what you consider a good hire.  No, I don't think we could make a good hire of an existing head coach.  Yes, I do think we could make a good hire by hiring a current coordinator.  It would be a risky move, but I'm sure there's a coordinator out there somewhere that could come here and do a good job. 

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

"Frost or Bust" shouldn't be used to describe people who only specifically want him to be our head coach. It should be used to describe the state of our football program.

Coaching hires are gambles and there's no guarantee of success in the realm of sports. However, when you factor in all of the elements in place, almost every other prospective coach is either A) Someone who realistically will not be interested in coming here, or B) Someone who doesn't have either the demonstrated success or the momentum/hot name factor to place a lot of confidence in.

Scott Frost is the perfect candidate for our school. He's a former player, he's a young up and coming hot shot who would be a splash hire, and he's a coach who has done nothing but succeed everywhere he's been. Nobody else who we could actually get is going to come anywhere close resume-wise.

Also would have a sense of loyalty to the program and knowledge of the culture no other candidates would. 

It is a Frost or bust crossroads for the program, in my opinion.