** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

3 minutes ago, FTW said:

I mentioned about having the right coach and staff in place. Do you read posts entirely or just nitpick at a few sentences? You end up taking things out of context, usually :)

Yes, I did, but I summed it up in one sentence. We should hire one of those coaches that do those obvious things. Seems the Peter Principle has taken over college football. 
I'm starting to doubt that we will hire one, instead we'll all give advice on what basic plays to run and whether we like to run or pass.....wondering why $3 million coaches don't seem to already know that.
I watched UCF/Navy and told my son how odd it felt watching coaches call things the way they should.

3 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

Also a great post :thumbs

Good response to Hayseed also. I didn’t say I’m opposed to having a vertical passing game. I just said we have struggled with it almost always, seemingly forever, so it concerns me. Of course with the right coach, personnel, attitude and culture anything is possible.

This post is awesome too!

36 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Yes, I did, but I summed it up in one sentence. We should hire one of those coaches that do those obvious things. Seems the Peter Principle has taken over college football. 
I'm starting to doubt that we will hire one, instead we'll all give advice on what basic plays to run and whether we like to run or pass.....wondering why $3 million coaches don't seem to already know that.
I watched UCF/Navy and told my son how odd it felt watching coaches call things the way they should.

A return to basics is in order and we haven't been able to do those on both sides of the ball in quite some time. At least on a consistent week to week basis. I think you need to have just a little faith in Bounds/Green/Moos leading the way. Getting rid of HP and undoing everything he did is what the program needs. There's a lot of internal strife as well and things need to be cleaned up.

I think our S&C program needs more attention too in spite of the fact that Boyd Epley is there. I think he's an obstacle and needs to retire sooner rather than later. A head coach has to be masterful at basics and a strong S&C program to back it up. I think most of our problems are more mental than physical and this harkens back to coaching.

Have faith that there is no limit to where we can go and that the Riley era can be a foregone conclusion soon. I think the next hire will be carefully planned out. I'm hoping there's a search firm brought on with another committee of former players/coach's to be involved also. I think our football program needs that guidance from the past glory days because we seem to have a horrible track record of doing it our own way.

I believe a majority of former coaches and players are going to unanimously favor a Scott Frost hire. As of right now, he seems to be the one that just fits and the one potential hire that can unite a fractured fan base and unite relationships with former players and coaches.

The reason Nebraska was so good for so long offensively and defensively is we had reps, so much of the same plays on offense and defense. Practices were bloodbaths, worse than actual football games. We ran on offense 10-15 plays over and over until we saw consistent results. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Scott Frost doesn't understand that. He's a smart guy and I don't think there's another coach out there that would be a better hire for Nebraska that makes sense financially and culturally.

2 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

How did your post add to the conversation here? It didn't....... it's just you stirring the pot again. 

He called you out on stating emphatically that we will lose to PSU while also saying that there aren't any guaranteed wins left. I think FTW saw that as either being logically inconsistent, or unnecessarily pessimistic. Then he very clearly articulated that, and you responded with, "You're going to sit there and tell me we have a good chance of beating PSU?" When, he didn't tell you that. Ever. He didn't even say anything like that.

Just making sure we all understand what the other people are saying and not arguing against strawmen or talking past each other. 

Anyways, JJ, it's fine if you're not fully bought in, but I fail to see why. If UCF keeps winning, Frost is going to be the hottest name and most sought after commodity not just by Nebraska, but by every single program in all of college football looking for a new coach. One would logically assume that means he'd be our best choice too, especially because we could not so easily draw the same type of coaching talent that schools like Florida might be able to. One would also, I think, understand that Frost is the smart bet - if you win, you're set for decades of success and a return of the identity of Nebraska; if you lose, it's either because you hired him and he wasn't good enough, and you either gave it a good shot and you're no worse off than you were a few years ago, or it's because he went somewhere else to become an elite head coach and we forever are stuck thinking, "What if?"

Here are a few points for those worried about Frost's style of offense. These shouldn't be used as proof, but evidence that it could work very well in Lincoln.

Nebraska had some good offenses under Bo Pelini. The offenses in 2010, 2012 and 2014 had similarities to what Frost does.

The 2010 offense averaged 398.1 yards per game, 247.6 rushing yards per game, 5.5 yards per carry and 30.9 points per game. The O struggled after Martinez was injured against Missouri, but it was good before that.

The 2012 offense averaged 460.8 yards per game, 253.4 rushing yards per game, 5.4 yards per carry and 34.8 points per game. A healthy(ish) Martinez along with Burkhead, Abdullah, Bell and Enunwa was tough to stop.

The 2014 offense averaged 452.3 yards per game, 240.2 rushing yards per game, 5.3 yards per carry and 37.8 yards per game. Abdullah and Armstrong playing in a offense they were built for. They struggled with elite defenses, but they could move the ball and score.

These offenses were all pretty good with Barney Cotton as an offensive line coach and with either Shawn Watson or Tim Beck as offensive coordinator.

Now remember that Frost is a better offensive coach than either Shawn Watson or Tim Beck. Most importantly, he is more creative. Frost can get the ball to J.D. Spielman, Tyjon Lindsey and Tre Bryant in space. 

• Plus1 3

We all want Nebraska to be successful. Some people want national titles, others want conference titles. Some want to be Wisconsin and others just want to be relevant.

Here's what I know. To get there, Nebraska needs to be the best team in the Big 10 West. To do that, they have to be better than Wisconsin. Before that, they need to be better than Iowa and the other teams in the division. I think hiring Frost is the right way to accomplish that.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

Nebraska had some good offenses under Bo Pelini.

Bo had some underrated offenses, but some that were not very good. None of them were great offenses, though a few were definitely good enough to have won more games than they did.

The biggest problem Pelini had was getting a good offense and defense at the same time. He never had a team in the top 30 in scoring offense and scoring defense, even though he had multiple teams that achieved one or the other.

• Plus1 1

If Frost became the HC and with the QB's we have on the roster, do we try to coach up Gebbia/O'Brien? I understand they have some mobility but not like a Tommy Armstrong or Taylor Martinez. How would people feel about moving Zack Darlington back to QB for his senior season? I think he was a top dual threat QB prospect and got offered by Ohio State.

I understand he had some concussion problems during high school but the guy's heart is at quarterback from what I've read about him.

4 hours ago, FTW said:

If Frost became the HC and with the QB's we have on the roster, do we try to coach up Gebbia/O'Brien? I understand they have some mobility but not like a Tommy Armstrong or Taylor Martinez. How would people feel about moving Zack Darlington back to QB for his senior season? I think he was a top dual threat QB prospect and got offered by Ohio State.

I understand he had some concussion problems during high school but the guy's heart is at quarterback from what I've read about him.

I think Gebbia or POB would be serviceable in Frost’s offense. While I think Frost would like a little more of a run threat in order to make the zone read more effective (so the defense actually has to respect the QB run option), I think Frost would be able to tailor the offense to what those QB’s do well. I know UCF’s QB was slightly injured against Navy, so he wasn’t running the ball that often, but I didn’t see their QB being Lamar Jackson or Marcus Mariota back there.

I think Darlington would be a terrible idea. I understand he would still like to be a QB, but he hasn’t sniffed being a QB in action since he was a junior in high school (his injury occurred early in his senior year). Plus, he would only have one year of eligibility left.  It would be best for POB and Gebbia to battle it out (if they stay).  This is also assuming that Lee goes pro if Riley is fired. 

14 hours ago, FTW said:

It's not like the connection to CA is huge. Only about 8 recruits total since Riley was hired are on the team. 8 from Texas as well whereas prior to our move to the B1G, Bo was able to land 21 from Texas 08-2010 vs. 11 from Cali.

So, it is a numerical fact that we haven't been able to get nearly as many recruits from Texas than California since moving to the B1G. Does Riley have more recruiting footprint in the Pacific NW? Sure. I'll give him that. But, I'd take Texas HS players over them all day. That's just my own personal preference. So I'm not afraid to admit that maybe I'm wrong and maybe Patterson could bring more Texas talent to Nebraska. The jury is out on that one since we've had 2 HC's who've struggled to recruit that area dating back to 2011.

Well, G Pat isnt coming, so its all irrelevant

I've been trying to point this out since Riley was hired - when all the "we're finally going to use the fullback again" partying was going on.  This is one of the biggest reasons that we've struggled to run the ball the last three years.

Now, don’t leave me just yet Run the Damn Ball Guy.  Frost, despite his affinity for personnel groupings omitting the fullback, likes to spread the ball to run it.  UCF ran the ball 42 times for 247 yards (5.9 YPC) against Navy, and that’s pretty consistent with their season totals too (196 rushes, 144 passes heading into the Navy game). 

This is also my preferred approach to college football.  Formation defenses into a light box, get an athletic RB, and then let him work in a lot of open space.  It worked for Baylor, it worked for Oregon, and now it’s working for Frost at UCF as well.  There is no point in going heavy and bringing extra defenders into the box.  It’s just another guy there to make a tackle if you miss a block.  Instead, go light, move that defender to the perimeter, and then you don’t really have to block him in the first place.

Husker Chalk Talk

• Plus1 2