** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

They set the odds on these prop bets and start to see what kind of action they get...they adjust from there.  Prop bets are totally for fun and usually have a limit you can bet on them.  Like each year you can bet on the coin toss for the Super Bowl...

So, if the site started off with Frost at say +150 (in other words if you be 100 dollars and win you would get 150 back) and if that started to get hammered with bets, they would move it to +110...if that keeps getting hammered they move it to -110 and so on.

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

They set the odds on these prop bets and start to see what kind of action they get...they adjust from there.  Prop bets are totally for fun and usually have a limit you can bet on them.  Like each year you can bet on the coin toss for the Super Bowl...

So, if the site started off with Frost at say +150 (in other words if you be 100 dollars and win you would get 150 back) and if that started to get hammered with bets, they would move it to +110...if that keeps getting hammered they move it to -110 and so on.

So the odds shift on Frost are from just regular people betting with no actual information?  Or is there more to it?

1 minute ago, Xmas32 said:

The other thing is it doesn't take too much money to completely warp the odds on something like this.  All it takes is a few diehard UF fans with reasonably deep pockets to throw down a few thousand apiece and the odds will come tumbling.

So why would they do that?  I'm just stupid when it comes to this stuff.

1 minute ago, RedNebraskan said:

So why would they do that?  I'm just stupid when it comes to this stuff.

Sure, no sweat.  As of a couple days ago Frost was a 7-1 underdog to be UF's next head coach.  That means for every $100 you wager you would get back $700.  If you feel strongly that Frost is going to be UF's next head coach 7-1 is a pretty great return on investment.  All it takes is a few people to have the same thought and bet enough money and the odds will drop which is where we're at right now.  Frost is now the prohibitive favorite to be UF's next coach as evidenced by the -150 price meaning you now have to wager $150 to win $100.  

5 minutes ago, RedNebraskan said:

So the odds shift on Frost are from just regular people betting with no actual information?  Or is there more to it?

It's hard to say.  If the money is primarily going to one side of it, it shifts the odds.  However, if Vegas knows something (which a lot of times they do), that can also have an impact shifting the odds one way or the other.

4 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

It's hard to say.  If the money is primarily going to one side of it, it shifts the odds.  However, if Vegas knows something (which a lot of times they do), that can also have an impact shifting the odds one way or the other.

In regards to prop bets, specifically next coach prop bets, if Vegas knows something, bets are usually no longer taken. This has been my experience anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

In regards to prop bets, specifically next coach prop bets, if Vegas knows something, bets are usually no longer taken. This has been my experience anyway. 

This is true but I think it's somewhat subjective.  For example, if they have a slight indication that SF is going to be Florida's next coach but no confirmation, it may shift the line more in Vegas' favor before it gets taken down.  

3 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

Do you know why? Not questioning; just seems odd. One would think there could be money to be made, 'especially' if they were aware of the ultimate outcome.

48 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

It means you have to bet $130 to get $100 if you bet on that person.  So no.  Not good for Husker fans dying for Frost to go to Nebraska

In my opinion it jumped because Florida has already fired their coach. We haven't yet fired our coach. That's probably all there is to it.

Frost is coming to Nebraska. I heard it from my caddie's chauffeur.