** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

In case anyone is wondering why ADs frequently wait until the end of the regular season to fire a coach, here's Gerry DiNardo's thought in an article by Ralph Russo. It isn't anything groundbreaking, but it's kind of interesting. 

Gerry DiNardo, a former coach at Vanderbilt, LSU and Indiana who does consulting work for schools searching for a new coach, said just because a coach has not been fired does not mean an athletic director is not busy working behind the scenes.

"I would suggest to you if I'm an AD I can do a better search with my coach under attack than I can by firing a coach," said DiNardo, who is an analyst for the Big Ten Network. "As soon as I fire the coach, then everyone switches to the search. So I'm distracting my opponents. Meanwhile, I've already decided I'm firing him and not only that, I've got three agents waiting to negotiate with me."

Here is the entire article.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/what-goes-deciding-whether-change-football-coaches

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

In case anyone is wondering why ADs frequently wait until the end of the regular season to fire a coach, here's Gerry DiNardo's thought in an article by Ralph Russo. It isn't anything groundbreaking, but it's kind of interesting. 

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/what-goes-deciding-whether-change-football-coaches

Jerry Maguire, part 2? Show me the money!!!

12 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

Interesting.  Can't help but think this is what's going on.  I see no real reason to keep Riley other than he is a nice guy, and the players respect him (I assume).  Those Reasons don't win games and don't make money.

• Plus1 1

To me, if MOOS does not go after Scott Frost with vengeance, he is as bad as Eichorst. We really have a chance to get the next Tom Osborne in hiring Scott Frost, if Moos pulls an Eichorst and gets another Rileyesque coach, I will hibernate for three years and wait for another failed experiment to end. Honestly, watching one train wreck after another starts getting to you at some point. It is depressing when you find yourself predicting by how much your team will lose to NORTHWESTERN!!!!!,!,!!,!

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

Yes, if Moos is doing his job he's not just evaluating Riley but working through back-channel contacts, researching, and staying on-top of our coaching-search competition. He will have strong intel on who we want and who we can get so at season's end we will have little doubt as to what needs doing. We don't need to pull a Florida to be all over our coaching situation.

15 hours ago, Herbie95 said:

Agreed.  We are the poster child of firing winning coaches and hiring marginal coaches.  Georgia looks to have gotten it right.  They fired a coach with a similar record as Pelini and Solich and looked to have upgraded.  

That’s the thing.  It’s been this way a while, places can get away with head scratching fires if they have something lined up.  We haven’t had something lined up ever or if we did they backed out last hour or with eichorst what we had in mind was not so great

10 hours ago, luckyduck said:

Interesting.  Can't help but think this is what's going on.  I see no real reason to keep Riley other than he is a nice guy, and the players respect him (I assume).  Those Reasons don't win games and don't make money.

The only real reason to keep Riley would be if the top 2 or 3 candidates truly aren't interested. If we can't snag one of the best 3 available coaches, then we'd be better served to wait until next season's carousel.

Even with as poorly as we've played this year, with as tough as next year's schedule is, I can't imagine anyone stepping in and changing systems and doing any better in year 1 than what Riley would in year 4. Not even Frost, who seems to be the top choice.... So unless we're sure that we have a long term solution, it'd be smarter to wait another season than to make a knee jerk replacement like we did the last time.

Edited by Oade
  • Plus1 1