** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's the latter.

Schools are large businesses, and they're making multi-million dollar investments in these coaches. The people who make these decisions are entrusted to responsibly take care of that money. If they were to be so loose-lipped that the average Joe on the Street can know the inner workings of the hiring process, they would be fired.  That goes for anyone on their staff entrusted with actual knowledge of the situation. 

No guy on a message board, no journalist - and ESPECIALLY no journalist who isn't a local beat writer (like Dan Wolken, Andy Staples, Brett McMurphy, etc) - knows which coaches have been approached, what the negotiations are like, who is being added to or crossed off a list. 

All of that is fantasy. It's speculation intended to entertain.  People on message boards claim to be "insiders" because they get off on pretending to be important.  Journalists create candidate lists out of what they think the fans want to see or purely out of their own imagination because their job is to get you to read their article.  They don't know anything. 

The next time you hear someone prattling on about having inside information, remember the days between when Bo was fired and Riley was hired.  Remember all the lists, all the speculation, all the insiders telling us who was on Eichorst's list, who was being talked to, bap bap bap. 

And then remember that not one insider so much as mentioned Mike Riley's name. 

Well that is way to logical to post around these parts! 

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

You can't accurately judge something with one data point, though. Over the course of his career, he's been very, very successful. Auburn, Ole Miss, MSU, Florida and (now) Bama have all had varying degrees of success running a spread offense (or using spread principles) in the SEC. 

Very much so. But they all fall into the same power spread philosophy that Urban Meyers OSU team does. As does Scott frost, I think, still watching all his team's games. 

Chip Kelly does not. But he might change that in recognition of how the SEC is.  I'm excited to see it if he does. But his and helfrichs unwillingness to do so hurt them in the title games and based off comments from frost had an effect on how he designed his offense and team philosophy.

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

All of that is fantasy. It's speculation intended to entertain.  People on message boards claim to be "insiders" because they get off on pretending to be important.  Journalists create candidate lists out of what they think the fans want to see or purely out of their own imagination because their job is to get you to read their article.  They don't know anything. 

Gosh Knapp, I feel stupid now. I read the megathread to get all of the facts about hiring SF. You make it sound like a lot of silliness that only a coaching search circus can create.

Just talked to my UF Alumni contact at work - pretty tied into the UAA still at Florida. Saying that Florida was extremely interested in Frost, but seemed uninterested right away, then you saw the huge pivot to Chip which has picked up the steam over the past couple of days. Says that Frost camp has very recently reached back out after the Tennessee job opened to show interest which has thrown a wrench into their plans moving forward with Chip. Didnt think that it would stop them from going with Chip but thought it was interested. Could just be for additional leverage for Frost to use as well depending on his plans. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, husker98 said:

Very much so. But they all fall into the same power spread philosophy that Urban Meyers OSU team does. As does Scott frost, I think, still watching all his team's games. 

Chip Kelly does not. But he might change that in recognition of how the SEC is.  I'm excited to see it if he does. But his and helfrichs unwillingness to do so hurt them in the title games and based off comments from frost had an effect on how he designed his offense and team philosophy.

This is true; I would argue that Auburn (post-Cammy Cam) and Ole Miss are closer to Oregon than, say, OSU, but you still make a good point.