** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

3 minutes ago, tyrone_biggums said:

I think it's just etiquette and respect, locker room or not. If you want to throw caution to wind and do whatever you want without thinking about repercussions, then you got the free will to do it. Maybe Scott did run it by LP and LP still flilpped, who knows? The optics of the whole situation aren't great.

It's also worth noting that Nebraska had a huge team in terms of total numbers. There may have been 150 total players. Phillips was a returning starter in 1995. Frost was a scout team quarterback. It's possible they basically never talked prior to the incident.

Just now, Hans Gruber said:

Maybe there weren't. I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying that in terms of shady things colleges can do to help them win, the idea of county scholarships doesn't seem to rank that high to me. At least in a state like Nebraska.

In Texas, California or Florida? Yes, that would seem very advantageous.

I have zero doubt there was money/stuff given to Nebraska players just like there was for every other major school, from fans, boosters, whatever.  But boosters giving $50 handshakes aren't what "County Scholarships" were alleged to be.  They were alleged to be something organized by the University itself.

4 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

Oh no, another national guy......time to discredit this info too now

I mean I don’t think anyone doubts that he is our Plan A at this point. I think the whole Nebraska is interested in Scott Frost thing can be put to bed at this point. It’s the reciprocal interest that no one seems to have any concrete idea about. 

9 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

Oh no, another national guy......time to discredit this info too now

What "info" are you talking about?  Russo doesn't say anything concrete enough to rebut. It's all speculation, no names on record, just his opinion.

What is there here to discredit?

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, brophog said:

What I said many moons ago regarding this is, if not Frost, I just want to know why. I respect the consistency with which Petersen had Boise, and the heights at which he seems to be taking Washington. However, as I've shown (and others) in this thread through videos and commentary, I believe Frost has the potential (key word) to be an extremely special coach. It's not his record or stats that have impressed me this year, it's how he continually handles one would be distraction after another. The hurricane, birth of his first child, an undefeated season, calling of his alma mater, and the Star Wars loot box scandal. All of them, in the same season, and he doesn't even flinch. 

I think there are quite a few similarities between Petersen and Frost to be honest.  Both seem quite unflappable.  My main reason is in my opinion you want as close to a known quantity as possible when you pick your HC.  Petersen has already gone through the rigors of the undefeated seasons, he's unfortunately already had to deal with children having serious health issues.  I do agree that the call from your alma mater and home state university is a powerful one.  I want to be clear that I would be very happy with Frost if Nebraska were to hire him.  The question I ask myself when comparing the two is, "Do I think the Nebraska job is possibly too big for them?"  I have zero doubt that Petersen could handle it, I have small doubts on Frost only because he hasn't had to go through it yet.

12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There were no "County Scholarships." 

Well a former colleague of mine whom I trust said he was offered a scholarship at Nebraska. TO talked to him in person even to recruit him to kick. The guy looked like a linebacker in those days, you never would've gused he was a kicker. But at a luncheon with other players, a gentleman went around and explained to the players that there wold be "red coats" that would visit them from time to time. They were to take the envelope handed to them by the red coat and open it later. He ended up not going to Lincoln because his goal was med school. Maybe he made it all up. But I would be stunned if he did. I'd trust his word over just about anyone's.

Just now, irafreak said:

Well a former colleague of mine whom I trust said he was offered a scholarship at Nebraska. TO talked to him in person even to recruit him to kick. The guy looked like a linebacker in those days, you never would've gused he was a kicker. But at a luncheon with other players, a gentleman went around and explained to the players that there wold be "red coats" that would visit them from time to time. They were to take the envelope handed to them by the red coat and open it later. He ended up not going to Lincoln because his goal was med school. Maybe he made it all up. But I would be stunned if he did. I'd trust his word over just about anyone's.

Covered that already.  That's not what ISU, KSU, KU, CU allege "County Scholarships" were.

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I have zero doubt there was money/stuff given to Nebraska players just like there was for every other major school, from fans, boosters, whatever.  But boosters giving $50 handshakes aren't what "County Scholarships" were alleged to be.  They were alleged to be something organized by the University itself.

5 minutes ago, Herbie Husker said:

According to the insider who has a connection inside the UCF AD's office, he's overheard in their office that Frost has a couple offers that are "WAY more attractive to him based on what he (Frost) has been heard saying around the offices."

Maybe I’m not following.  He has more attaractive offers than Nebraska and Frost has said that?

1 minute ago, Football Guy Bob said:

Maybe I’m not following.  He has more attaractive offers than Nebraska and Frost has said that?

Allegedly that's what Frost has been saying while walking around the UCF athletic department which I find hard to believe he'd say that sort of thing.

He's focused on his undefeated season.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Herbie Husker said:

The connection inside the UCF AD's office has overheard that Frost has a couple offers that allegedly are way more attractive to him than the Nebraska job based on what SF has allegedly been saying around their complex.

Gotcha. I’m still skeptical that First ost is walking around the uCF athletic department publicly weighing offers in front of the staff tho. Just seems like an odd thing to do. 

• Plus1 2