** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

2 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

I'm not sure. I think that he's weighing a lot of things, which is why he isn't saying very much. I think that it was between UF (chance to win), Nebraska (going home/dream job), and UCF (low pressure/build something). 

Gator fans are saying that Frost was not the top of their board, but I don't believe them. I think Frost turned them down and now they're in Chip Kelly purgatory with no coach. So now it's between Nebraska and UCF. I think Frost wants to coach Nebraska EVENTUALLY, but his dream job opened sooner than he wanted it to. 

Now he's deciding if he wants to continue to build and develop UCF in a low pressure environment and risk losing his dream job if some lifer comes in, or does he go to Nebraska now, while he's still developing as a coach and if he can't adapt his system, he could lose the job forever.

Just my humble opinion. 

“If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes – then learn how to do it later!”

Richard Branson

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, ATS Knight said:

I'm not sure. I think that he's weighing a lot of things, which is why he isn't saying very much. I think that it was between UF (chance to win), Nebraska (going home/dream job), and UCF (low pressure/build something). 

Gator fans are saying that Frost was not the top of their board, but I don't believe them. I think Frost turned them down and now they're in Chip Kelly purgatory with no coach. So now it's between Nebraska and UCF. I think Frost wants to coach Nebraska EVENTUALLY, but his dream job opened sooner than he wanted it to. 

Now he's deciding if he wants to continue to build and develop UCF in a low pressure environment and risk losing his dream job if some lifer comes in, or does he go to Nebraska now, while he's still developing as a coach and if he can't adapt his system, he could lose the job forever.

Just my humble opinion. 

Fair answer. I think it would make it harder to turn down dream job when those in charge are "salivating" for you. Would that happen again in the "next" go around? Who knows, but would think most would strike while that iron is as hot as it gets.

Just my humble opinion. 

IMO, neither party was expecting it go happen this year. I bet both were thinking in a couple of years. We knew this season was going to be a little rough, but it became a total disaster. Frost has done better than anyone had expected and even Frost himself has said it has gone faster than he expected it to. 

I'm sure he honestly has wanted to build something at UCF, but the timeline is now. So he will have to leave before he expected/planned. 

3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

“If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes – then learn how to do it later!”

Richard Branson

Frost turned town quite a few head coaching gigs to come to UCF and it was because there were low expectations (0-12), easy access to recruits, and easy access to the recruits that he needed to run his system. 

Nebraska is not that. Everyone is wondering if Nebraska has the clout it used or if the environment has changed so drastically that you're no longer relevant. I think there are really high expectations here because no one wants to face the possibility that recruiting and geographic disadvantages are countering your rich history. 

So if Frost came here, he would probably struggle for a while. Remember your first kid? Now imagine having to fly to recruiting trips. And who knows if it would even work? It would be a much slower progression than UCF and couple bad assistant hires, a couple bad media interactions, a couple bad bounces and he could be done before he gets started. I think he's weighing it carefully.

1 minute ago, jessica0 said:

IMO, neither party was expecting it go happen this year. I bet both were thinking in a couple of years. We knew this season was going to be a little rough, but it became a total disaster. Frost has done better than anyone had expected and even Frost himself has said it has gone faster than he expected it to. 

I'm sure he honestly has wanted to build something at UCF, but the timeline is now. So he will have to leave before he expected/planned. 

Yep. I think Frost has been sending his prayers up to God that one day he would coach the Huskers for awhile now, before he took the UCF job. Maybe he thought he could stay at UCF for 5 years or so, build a winner, up his stock and by that time old MR may decide it's time to retire and he could come in at that point and live out his dream. Turns out God answered his prayers sooner than he could have ever expected and now we have a perfect storm situation it seems like. Not only is Nebraska going to be looking for a head coach and willing to pay with the big boys where we belong, but Frost is the hottest up and coming coaching canidate on the market. It's really crazy how it has all played out. If we would have gone 8-4 this year and UCF has the season they are having its very possible we miss out on Frost all together. 

29 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

I think Sumlin's great. We should all rally around this idea. 

23 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

It seems like this Sumlin idea is starting to snowball. Let's all contact Moos today and tell him that we prefer Sumlin to Frost. 

17 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

I'm just reading the room. This Sumlin idea is picking up steam.

I mean, come on, Frost barely has a winning record as a head coach and hasn't won ANYTHING. Meanwhile, Sumlin has existed every place he has gone to. 

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

Nebraska is not that. Everyone is wondering if Nebraska has the clout it used or if the environment has changed so drastically that you're no longer relevant. I think there are really high expectations here because no one wants to face the possibility that recruiting and geographic disadvantages are countering your rich history. 

All of this makes sense if you compare us to Bama/Ohio State/USC/etc., but kind of falls apart when you look at Wisconsin or Michigan State. Sustainable, extremely high level of accomplishment programs built off of mediocre recruits and history.

We don't need top 10 recruiting classes or to be a dynasty and we don't expect that to happen. What we need is a coach and staff who can recruit the 4th best roster in the B1G, which is where we will usually be, and coach that 4th best roster into a 2nd/3rd best team. That's it. 

• Plus1 4

I think there are really high expectations here because no one wants to face the possibility that recruiting and geographic disadvantages are countering your rich history. 

They are real, and they are exaggerated. We recruited nationally very well to get those titles, and we can do it again. It's harder here, yes, but Nebraska has that which very few other places have: you are the center of the universe at Nebraska. 

It's true. Diaco's alien race confirmed it.

If Frost had been at UCF for 4 or 5 years and turned down other power 5 jobs, then I could understand the argument of him staying.  However, he has only had 2 maybe 3 recruiting classes and hasn't really had time to build HIS program.  Hopefully he hasn't had long enough to really feel like he belongs at UCF.  In the end, UCF has almost no chance of playing for a national championship.  Nebraska might be irrelevant, but Nebraska's best case scenario is a heck of a lot higher than UCF's.  If he goes undefeated or even has 1 loss here he is  in the playoff conversation.  If he goes undefeated at UCF the most they can hope for is a "BCS" bowl.  This is why UF worries me more than UCF.  If he doesn't come here though, I hope he stays at UCF.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I love how some of you try to explain away an 0-12 season as some kind of minor lapse. They lost every game 2015.... So, yeah. He rebuilt the thing from scratch.

I know!

Riley:  Takes over a team that wins 9 or 10, "But it is toxic and stuff"

Frost:  Takes over a team that won 0 games "But it was really more like a 10-2 season"

• Plus1 5

3 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

Frost turned town quite a few head coaching gigs to come to UCF and it was because there were low expectations (0-12), easy access to recruits, and easy access to the recruits that he needed to run his system. 

So if Frost came here, he would probably struggle for a while. Remember your first kid? Now imagine having to fly to recruiting trips. And who knows if it would even work? It would be a much slower progression than UCF and couple bad assistant hires, a couple bad media interactions, a couple bad bounces and he could be done before he gets started. I think he's weighing it carefully.

From your perspective, what more is there to accomplish at UCF if they win a conference championship and play in a Jan. 1 bowl game? Apologies if you've answered this in this thread already - feel free to copy pasta.

As an outsider, it doesn't seem like much. UCF is not a CFP contender and will assuredly be overlooked so long as only four teams make it in. Conference realignment is dependent on several things and likely wouldn't be an option for several more years.

So, while Frost very well could choose to stay at UCF (or take another job), I don't see what he would need to 'finish' at UCF. There are several factors that could keep him at UCF but 'finishing' something seems irrelevant by this point.

The thing is Nebraska does have enough clout to consistently pull in better talent than any team in our division. Frost could definitely continue that trend on the recruiting trail (it's a pretty large gap) The problem the Huskers have right now isn't aquiring talent, it's coaching that talent up. We should be winning the west 6 times a decade at least based on talent alone, yet we've won once since joining the Big 10. I think the expectations around here aren't that high, more realistic. We have the talent to be competing for division titles every year, and that is the benchmark we want to see our coach at. If Frost won the west twice in his first 5 years here I think the fans would be happy for the most part. We just want to get back to good competitive football in every game. In time we will expect more but if yOU start there we will be willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. 

11 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

Good points. But lets keep in mind the previous opportunities he turned down were not from his alma mater, and top 5 all time winning program. Its a little easier to turn down Colorado state. Not saying he wont stay put, just saying I have heard that argument before that he has turned down jobs before- and when I see the schools that offered I dont blame him for turning them down.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

The thing is Nebraska does have enough clout to consistently pull in better talent than any team in our division. Frost could definitely continue that trend on the recruiting trail (it's a pretty large gap) The problem the Huskers have right now isn't aquiring talent, it's coaching that talent up. We should be winning the west 6 times a decade at least based on talent alone, yet we've won once since joining the Big 10. I think the expectations around here aren't that high, more realistic. We have the talent to be competing for division titles every year, and that is the benchmark we want to see our coach at. If Frost won the west twice in his first 5 years here I think the fans would be happy for the most part. We just want to get back to good competitive football in every game. In time we will expect more but if yOU start there we will be willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. 

2 division championships in 5 years is a huge task considering how far we have fallen behind UW and even Iowa.  I just want to get back to being competitive with the conference in the first few years.