** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

From your perspective, what more is there to accomplish at UCF if they win a conference championship and play in a Jan. 1 bowl game? Apologies if you've answered this in this thread already - feel free to copy pasta.

As an outsider, it doesn't seem like much. UCF is not a CFP contender and will assuredly be overlooked so long as only four teams make it in. Conference realignment is dependent on several things and likely wouldn't be an option for several more years.

So, while Frost very well could choose to stay at UCF (or take another job), I don't see what he would need to 'finish' at UCF. There are several factors that could keep him at UCF but 'finishing' something seems irrelevant by this point.

I don't think it's about accomplishment, I think it's about buying time and finding the perfect situation. UCF was PERFECT for Frost. He couldn't lose. If he stays, whatever he does will look impressive. Then he's in Petersen territory when he was at Boise, where he can find whatever job he wants. 

For those of you that have kids, remember when your first was born. Would you want to land your dream job when you were that sleep-deprived? He can sleepwalk at UCF and look like a genius. Maybe he wants a couple more seasons of that. 

Just now, STL Husker said:

2 division championships in 5 years is a huge task considering how far we have fallen behind UW and even Iowa.  I just want to get back to being competitive with the conference in the first few years.

There ya go. I think we could get there but I agree with you. The expectations on Frost won't be that high. 

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I know!

Riley:  Takes over a team that wins 9 or 10, "But it is toxic and stuff"

Frost:  Takes over a team that won 0 games "But it was really more like a 10-2 season"

I think Riley took over a toxic environment because of the relationship between Pelini and Eichorst.  Also toxic because Eichorst fored a coach that was liked by players.

Frost took over a lost team whose coach left 3/4 of the way into a season during an investigation into a players death.  

So I would say they aren't quite the same

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

IMO, neither party was expecting it go happen this year. I bet both were thinking in a couple of years. We knew this season was going to be a little rough, but it became a total disaster. Frost has done better than anyone had expected and even Frost himself has said it has gone faster than he expected it to. 

I'm sure he honestly has wanted to build something at UCF, but the timeline is now. So he will have to leave before he expected/planned. 

For a brief period after November 24th, the stars and planets will be in perfect alignment for a young coaching candidate whose dream job would be the head coach at the University of Nebraska, for there will be a job opening for this position. The odds of this happening again are remote, and may not ever happen again.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

I don't think it's about accomplishment, I think it's about buying time and finding the perfect situation. UCF was PERFECT for Frost. He couldn't lose. If he stays, whatever he does will look impressive. Then he's in Petersen territory when he was at Boise, where he can find whatever job he wants. 

For those of you that have kids, remember when your first was born. Would you want to land your dream job when you were that sleep-deprived? He can sleepwalk at UCF and look like a genius. Maybe he wants a couple more seasons of that. 

Yes I would love to have landed my dream job then!

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

There ya go. I think we could get there but I agree with you. The expectations on Frost won't be that high. 

I really enjoy you Nebraska fans, but I think you really underestimate your expectations. These are your expectations now, but will they be the same after a couple division championships?

Look at UF, they're saying a lot of the same things. But do any of us really think they'll have lowered expectations forever? Look at FSU. National championships don't buy you as much time as they used to anywhere. 

5 million a year buys one of those nannys who will wake up with your kid.  Or he can send the kid to grandma's house if he comes back home.  If "whatever job he wants" is Nebraska, why not do it now?

1 minute ago, ATS Knight said:

I really enjoy you Nebraska fans, but I think you really underestimate your expectations. These are your expectations now, but will they be the same after a couple division championships?

Look at UF, they're saying a lot of the same things. But do any of us really think they'll have lowered expectations forever? Look at FSU. National championships don't buy you as much time as they used to anywhere. 

Our expectations are to see progress.  At this point 6-6 is significant process.  Then we should build up to division championships, conference championships, and national championships.  If it takes 10 + years but you see progress every year, then fine.  Of course expectations should rise.  Honestly, this argument seems like the difference between a group of 5 school and a power 5 school.  The ultimate goal is always a national championship.  If that's not Frost's goal then he should stay at UCF.

• Plus1 1

I understand your point. But yes as time goes by and we take steps towards a national title being a realistic goal our expectations will rise where they once were. By everything I have heard Scott Frost is an aggressive coach and wants success and challenges. If at some point he is going to step up to big boy football those expectations are going to exist in any major football conference, especially tradition rich programs. 

It all depends on what Scott wants- do you think he wants to play at the highest level and see what he can do. 

Or does he wants to play small ball and win easy games. 

You mentioned above he turned down jobs and accepted UCF because it was perfect for him to take the next step. But what could be more perfect for him than his dream job. 

6 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

Well, we did keep one coach for 20 years before he won a national title. 

• Plus1 4
6 minutes ago, STL Husker said:

5 million a year buys one of those nannys who will wake up with your kid.  Or he can send the kid to grandma's house if he comes back home.  If "whatever job he wants" is Nebraska, why not do it now?

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I understand your point. But yes as time goes by and we take steps towards a national title being a realistic goal our expectations will rise where they once were. By everything I have heard Scott Frost is an aggressive coach and wants success and challenges. If at some point he is going to step up to big boy football those expectations are going to exist in any major football conference, especially tradition rich programs. 

It all depends on what Scott wants- do you think he wants to play at the highest level and see what he can do. 

Or does he wants to play small ball and win easy games. 

You mentioned above he turned down jobs and accepted UCF because it was perfect for him to take the next step. But what could be more perfect for him than his dream job. 

If he doesn't have enough experience to make his system work there, it's probably not going to be good timing. UCF has tons of speed recruits around. Our issue is finding a system that overcomes our disadvantages on the lines.

But Nebraska is surrounded by power recruits, I don't think it's that easy to just move somewhere new and make everything work as well. Higher competition? Yes, but a lot of schools with equal resources and a lot more experience/connections etc. AAC is filled with poor programs with new, ever-shifting coaches in worse recruiting areas. 

17 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Good points. But lets keep in mind the previous opportunities he turned down were not from his alma mater, and top 5 all time winning program. Its a little easier to turn down Colorado state. Not saying he wont stay put, just saying I have heard that argument before that he has turned down jobs before- and when I see the schools that offered I dont blame him for turning them down.

Riley has let Ohio State pass you and Bama is coming up fast. This time next year Nebraska might not be in the top 5 anymore in all time wins. Hopefully Frost will come in and right the ship. 

From everything I hear, Frost wasn't happy that he didn't get the job when Riley was hired.  If he thought he had enough experience then, why would he not think it now.  There appears to be many schools who do believe he has enough experience though.  Time will tell, but there have been many successful coaches with less experience. 

• Plus1 1