** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

5 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

If he doesn't have enough experience to make his system work there, it's probably not going to be good timing. UCF has tons of speed recruits around. Our issue is finding a system that overcomes our disadvantages on the lines.

But Nebraska is surrounded by power recruits, I don't think it's that easy to just move somewhere new and make everything work as well. Higher competition? Yes, but a lot of schools with equal resources and a lot more experience/connections etc. AAC is filled with poor programs with new, ever-shifting coaches in worse recruiting areas. 

Have you seen the running game at all?  Nebraska doesn't have a power team.

Edited by worldsworstoutdoorsman
  • Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Well, we did keep one coach for 20 years before he won a national title. 

Exactly and I could see the same scenario for Frost. He won a championship here as a player. If he has us playing Husker football he will be given a lot of leniency by the fans. Yes expectations will rise, but the Nebraska fan base will be more patient with Frost than any other major program would be given the history. like others have said, if he doesn't want to coach in the big time he will probably stay. But if he does this is as golden an opportunity as any. Expectations have been brought to an all time low by Mike Riley, but we are still relevant enough to have the brand power it takes to pull in top 25 classes here. A few more years of bad coaching and we may not be relevant anymore. If we get it right this time Scott might not get a second chance. The more you think about it the more it seems like now or never for Frost. 

23 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

I really enjoy you Nebraska fans, but I think you really underestimate your expectations. These are your expectations now, but will they be the same after a couple division championships?

Look at UF, they're saying a lot of the same things. But do any of us really think they'll have lowered expectations forever? Look at FSU. National championships don't buy you as much time as they used to anywhere. 

We kept Bo pelini 7 years. After the first 3 years(with callahan recruits)  we never came CLOSE to competing for a conference title(not talking about national titles) and he was also severely mentally unstable.  Top that off With clear signs of decline.  And we still kept him 7 years.  And you will notice with all the openings.....no one is talking about Bo.

Edited by melscott62
19 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

I really enjoy you Nebraska fans, but I think you really underestimate your expectations. These are your expectations now, but will they be the same after a couple division championships?

Look at UF, they're saying a lot of the same things. But do any of us really think they'll have lowered expectations forever? Look at FSU. National championships don't buy you as much time as they used to anywhere. 

Every school in the history of football has had their expectations grow after they reach a certain plateau.. and rightfully so. Maybe I misunderstood your piont

Let's look at it this way, if Frost had no Nebraska ties, who are the realistic candidates?  We realize how far we have fallen and how fortunate we are to have an opportunity to get a coach like Frost.  We aren't going to be in any hurry to fire him because our next coach will be the Tim Miles of football.  We really can't compete for the top tier coaches anymore so this is probably our last chance at one of them.  We are going to be 100% sure that he isn't the guy before we let him go.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Exactly and I could see the same scenario for Frost. He won a championship here as a player. If he has us playing Husker football he will be given a lot of leniency by the fans. Yes expectations will rise, but the Nebraska fan base will be more patient with Frost than any other major program would be given the history. like others have said, if he doesn't want to coach in the big time he will probably stay. But if he does this is as golden an opportunity as any. Expectations have been brought to an all time low by Mike Riley, but we are still relevant enough to have the brand power it takes to pull in top 25 classes here. A few more years of bad coaching and we may not be relevant anymore. If we get it right this time Scott might not get a second chance. The more you think about it the more it seems like now or never for Frost. 

Good point. I would not envy any coach who would have come in to follow Solich. But our expectations now are so much lower- we have experienced the disaster of numerous coaches the last 15 years and we want stability and are willing to be patient for the right guy - showing progress.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, STL Husker said:

Let's look at it this way, if Frost had no Nebraska ties, who are the realistic candidates?  We realize how far we have fallen and how fortunate we are to have an opportunity to get a coach like Frost.  We aren't going to be in any hurry to fire him because our next coach will be the Tim Miles of football.  We really can't compete for the top tier coaches anymore so this is probably our last chance at one of them.  We are going to be 100% sure that he isn't the guy before we let him go.

I disagree..

35 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Bill Moos " I want to introduce the next Head football coach. This guy has had recent success at taking over a down program. He was born right here in this great state.

Without further ado....Lincoln's very own......Lane Kiffin!"

Capture.PNG.4e71fa150e0653008c643add3bdbb31c.PNG

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ahhhhhhhh

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, STL Husker said:

I hope you are right, but I think there was a reason we ended up with Riley last time.  It wasn't just incompetence by Eichorst.

Something else to consider. In coaching hires and luring coaches. Its not all about the current state of the program, I think a big portion that is over looked is who the AD is. How good are they at selling the product? Moos resume is great with boosters, so I bet he is a smooth talker and can sell the program and the vision. 

I think Eichorst was a tard who couldnt sell s#!t. 

14 minutes ago, STL Husker said:

From everything I hear, Frost wasn't happy that he didn't get the job when Riley was hired.  If he thought he had enough experience then, why would he not think it now.  There appears to be many schools who do believe he has enough experience though.  Time will tell, but there have been many successful coaches with less experience. 

Thankfully there is no one left from that time period that is making the decision now.

9 minutes ago, STL Husker said:

This might be a little Too concrete....but i agree with the general idea.  

1 hour ago, ATS Knight said:

I'm not sure. I think that he's weighing a lot of things, which is why he isn't saying very much. I think that it was between UF (chance to win), Nebraska (going home/dream job), and UCF (low pressure/build something). 

Gator fans are saying that Frost was not the top of their board, but I don't believe them. I think Frost turned them down and now they're in Chip Kelly purgatory with no coach. So now it's between Nebraska and UCF. I think Frost wants to coach Nebraska EVENTUALLY, but his dream job opened sooner than he wanted it to. 

Now he's deciding if he wants to continue to build and develop UCF in a low pressure environment and risk losing his dream job if some lifer comes in, or does he go to Nebraska now, while he's still developing as a coach and if he can't adapt his system, he could lose the job forever.

Just my humble opinion. 

Very solid take