** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

12 minutes ago, brophog said:

It is interesting, in a non-interesting way, that there is virtually no talk about what Tennessee is going to do.  Some Gruden talk, but that's basically never been anything. 

I think there is plenty of talk about ti, but we aren't hung up on that job because seemingly Frost isn't a player for it.  I have seen Mullen, Clawson, Cutcliffe, Brohm all mentioned/

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

Thats 1 half of football. How many rushing yards did we have by the end of the game? How many rushing yards did we average in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001?

It's one example, and a good one because they shut down that running game until we forced them to respect something else. We used to have these conversations all of the time back then, especially during the bowl drought. It only got romanticized as some magical way to play in more recent years.

There are good reasons why you don't see everyone line up in heavy sets and try to power through everything these days. There are better ways of doing things. 

2 minutes ago, brophog said:

It's one example, and a good one because they shut down that running game until we forced them to respect something else. We used to have these conversations all of the time back then, especially during the bowl drought. It only got romanticized as some magical way to play in more recent years.

There are good reasons why you don't see everyone line up in heavy sets and try to power through everything these days. There are better ways of doing things. 

That's literally how we try and run the ball and you see how well that works. 

4 minutes ago, HuskerMan said:

I could see Frost going after the IWCC QB if he is hired.

Yep I've seen him and one other kid mentioned we might go after if we land Frost. We need them on the team, but I really do think our young guys have a great shot at being the starter next year too. If they can show enough mobility the arm talent with those two is enticing. 

13 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Typically I would agree if Vedral wasn't from Wahoo. POB and Gebbia can run Frosts offense and be successful imo, but we will have to bring in 1 or 2 more guys for competition and depths sake. I'll put my faith in whoever Frost lines up back there though given his history with QBs. 

Yeah. I think if Tristan and his dad embraced Frost and his coaching, Frost could make Tristan scary good...

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, brophog said:

I am just saying sometimes when what you do is different than what teams normally see it gives you a competitive advantage-why do you think navy is such a tough win- even for the likes of ohio state- and navy is doing that with 2 star players.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

That's literally how we try and run the ball and you see how well that works. 

I've never understood this offense. It feels extremely outdated at times. Instead of using angles and spacing to run the ball, we invite all the defenders into the box for a tea party.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, brophog said:

I've never understood this offense. It feels extremely outdated at times. Instead of using angles and spacing to run the ball, we invite all the defenders into the box for a tea party.

Works great for Navy right? Wisconsin seems to do pretty good at it. Wisconsin runs it what 80% of the time.

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I am just saying sometimes when what you do is different than what teams normally see it gives you a competitive advantage-why do you think navy is such a tough win- even for the likes of ohio state- and navy is doing that with 2 star players.

Why do you think that style is only done at the likes of Navy? People copy everything else.

8 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yep I've seen him and one other kid mentioned we might go after if we land Frost. We need them on the team, but I really do think our young guys have a great shot at being the starter next year too. If they can show enough mobility the arm talent with those two is enticing. 

I do think that both Gebbia and POB could be serviceable QBs in his system.  Maybe not a perfect fit but could make due enough to keep opposing defenses honest.

• Plus1 1

Brandon Vogel at Hail Varsity has some updated speculation on the UCLA/Florida/Nebraska situation as it pertains to Scott Frost.

Adam Rittenberg of ESPN reached out to some current college coaches and asked them to handicap the UCLA and Florida jobs. Both have great recruiting bases. Florida has a slightly better track record as a consistent national power and plays in the SEC, but with that comes the fishbowl. On the other side, Kelly knows the Pac-12 and could be a little more anonymous in Los Angeles than he would in Gainesville, something that is thought to appeal to Kelly.

But beyond those differences most of the coaches who spoke to Rittenberg were offering some variation of this answer:

"Florida obviously is the better job, but does it fit him?" a Pac-12 coordinator said. "He should take the job that fits him, regardless of perception. Without knowing him ... UCLA probably would be a better fit."

If the west coast sources are right on this and Kelly ends up at UCLA, where does Florida turn? I would guess back to Scott Frost, if the Gators ever really turned away, that is. I also would guess that Oregon head coach Willie Taggart can’t be that far down the Gators’ list either, which would have other ramifications.

2 minutes ago, brophog said:

Why do you think that style is only done at the likes of Navy? People copy everything else.

Because people think it is outdated. Perception is not reality. Look at the facts. Navy is a tough team for everyone to beat- even talent superior teams. Supremely more talented teams still struggle with them. Look at their records- typically have a nice winning record. Again all with 2 star players. 

Dont worry I am not advocating that Nebraska hire the Navy coach and we run that system. I just think it would be interesting to see someone else run that system. FYI Georgia Tech runs the same dang thing and they get 9-10 wins a year in the ACC.

3 minutes ago, HuskerMan said:

I do think that both Gebbia and POB could be serviceable QBs in his system.  Maybe not a perfect fit but could make due enough to keep opposing defenses honest.

I think Gebbia could be great. He has that Tom Brady drive to be great. he may not have the running threat but if he can throw darts to our receivers and let our RB's do the damage on the ground.

3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Works great for Navy right? Wisconsin seems to do pretty good at it. Wisconsin runs it what 80% of the time.

Would it surprise you if I said Wisconsin was 71st in ypc last year? Or 94th the year before that?

Yeah, go back beyond that and they're regularly top 10 or so. But recently, when we are pretending they have some kind of running blueprint that we need to emulate? No, not anywhere near what we make them out to be. 

Ohio State of recent is, by far and away, the best rushing team in this conference of bad rushing teams.