** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah, I think Taggart would be a great fit at Florida.  Don't hold his current record at Oregon against him.  He knows Florida and the Southeast U.S. well.

right, I get all that, but it seems like Florida is trying to make a statement with this hire.  He just seems like low-hanging fruit.  I think they want to make a "splash".  

1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

He also didn't have layups like Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota, or Illinois to pad his wins with, either. He plays in a division that has Miami, Virginia Tech, and three teams that have flirted with high levels competence repeatedly in the past decade: Pitt, Duke, and UNC. 

PJs best season was 2014 (11-3).  The other teams in his division went:

9-4 - Duke

7-6 - Va Tech

6-7 - UNC, Pitt, Miami

5-7 - UVA

Not exactly a murderer's row.

Just now, HuskerJax said:

right, I get all that, but it seems like Florida is trying to make a statement with this hire.  He just seems like low-hanging fruit.  I think they want to make a "splash".  

True, but he wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.  Word is that Taggart made himself available for the Ole Miss job, so Taggart may be already looking to leave Eugene.

Just now, Red Five said:

9-4 - Duke

7-6 - Va Tech

6-7 - UNC, Pitt, Miami

5-7 - UVA

Save for Wisky, neither was the B1G West that year. 

1 minute ago, HuskerJax said:

IMO "splash" hires are overrated.  Find the guy that will be the best "fit" for your job.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Red Five said:

9-4 - Duke

7-6 - Va Tech

6-7 - UNC, Pitt, Miami

5-7 - UVA

I am not a research master by any means. But 2017 has no conference champs yet. So I believe 2009 is when Georgia Tech won their conference. Between 2009-2016 how many teams in the country have claimed a conference title. P5 teams. Also in that 7 year span how many teams have played in 3 conference title games?

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

True, but he wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.  Word is that Taggart made himself available for the Ole Miss job, so Taggart may be already looking to leave Eugene.

I wonder if Kelly would want to go back to Oregon if Taggart left??  I'm sure UCLA is the much bigger prize - but Ore was the place of his greatest success.

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

IMO "splash" hires are overrated.  Find the guy that will be the best "fit" for your job.

I would whole heartedly agree to this above. We have gone 15+ years without the core culture that once was. 

2 minutes ago, TAKODA said:

I would whole heartedly agree to this above. We have gone 15+ years without the core culture that once was. 

Agreed. In my opinion, and I’m sure some will disagree, but I view Frost as a splash hire for us because of the culture aspect and I think other fan bases wouldn’t view it as much of a splash hire. I think everyone else is looking for the big name, nation title contender type guys as their splash hire. What we need is a lot different than what Florida needs. 

Edited by Ziebol the Red
  • Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, brophog said:

The last two games have been two of Tanner's best, statistically, and I dont think many would claim great blocking.

I’m not sure what your point is.

Regardless of whether or not someone’s performance is up a down with the same crappy blocking, I think it would be universally accepted that better blocking would benefit the QB.

There are very few QBs that will come in here and consistently perform in this offense.

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Is it fair to say its not really any more successful or less successful than majority of the teams in college football? If it was outdated wouldnt you expect horrible records- no division crowns- no conference crowns etc.

The flexbone is still a very workable offense, there is nothing to outdate. It's just limited, and it takes considerable practice time and a good play caller to make it work. I think the point is, if you're using Johnson's team as an example of why you should use it, it's a better example of functionality than optimum choice. 

2 minutes ago, TAKODA said:

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

What if the best fit for our opening is a splash hire as well?