** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

39 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

Milton is an athletic pocket passer, so it definitely works. I've heard from smarter people that Frost's offense is best with a dual threat QB. You need to have some mobility to make the defense pay for selling out on pass coverage and not blitzing, so I think a slow QB would struggle.

Milton is fast enough to get us out of a bunch of third and longs, but he's more pocket passer than anything. I am curious to see what the offense would look like with a natural runner. I think they would run the QB a lot more. Right now, we run Milton to either make them pay for being unbalanced, on option plays, when there's blanket coverage, or we send the receivers deep and pick up third and longs. I think we would run a lot more option/draw plays if Milton was bigger or faster. 

Kinda what I thought so I think the guys we have on the roster can definitely operate the offense and it still can go at a high level with more of a pocket passer. If you can get a Jalen Hurts, Marcus Mariota or whoever back  there running his offense it will obviously be more effective, but it can still be very high octane with a guy who may have less physical gifts. Thanks for the insight. 

Another question I have is how OLine friendly is this system? Is Frosts staff getting alot out of a little there or do you just have some good players up front? 

• Plus1 2

UCF is in a tough situation. They pleaded for the fans to show up to the games and show scott how much they want him to stay. The fans responded by not showing up. I have seen comments on their boards that when they play good teams they will show up or when they play a P5 school they will show up. But dont want to show up for the regular games in their conference. Its like self inflicted wounds- because regardless of who their coach is if they dont have a certain standard for stadium attendence they will never get included on a P5 expansion. So its like entitled kids. "well invite us to a P5 conference and THEN we will show you how much we will show up in droves". Thats just not how the world works.

• Plus1 2

I would be absolutely floored if UCF threw $4.5mm/yr+ at Scott Frost.  As others have mentioned...where is the money going to come from?  If UCF had a pending offer to jump to a P5 conference?  Yup, I totally get that.  As long as UCF is a G5 school, the threat of Frost leaving is going to be there every year.

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Some actual on-topic stuff to keep this thread alive.

Currently available jobs which may impact a Nebraska coaching search:

Florida

Tennessee

UCLA

Ole Miss

Oregon State

An August, 2017 SI article told us to get to know these top coaching prospects before the coaching carousel ramped up:

Current Head Coaches:

1. Philip Montgomery, Tulsa
2. Frank Wilson, UTSA
3. Scott Satterfield, Appalachian State
4. Jason Candle, Toledo
5. Ken Niumatalolo, Navy
6. Scott Frost, UCF
7. Chad Morris, SMU
8. Troy Calhoun, Air Force
9. Bryan Harsin, Boise State
10. Mike Bobo, Colorado State
11. Mike Norvell, Memphis
12. Neal Brown, Troy
13. Blake Anderson, Arkansas State
14. Nick Rolovich, Hawaii
15. Craig Bohl, Wyoming

Assistants:

1. Joe Moorhead, Penn State offensive coordinator
2. Dave Aranda, LSU defensive coordinator
3. Greg Schiano, Ohio State defensive coordinator
4. Brent Venables, Clemson defensive coordinator
5. Tony Elliott, Clemson co-offensive coordinator
6. Tony Gibson, West Virginia defensive coordinator
7. Manny Diaz, Miami defensive coordinator
8. Jeremy Pruitt, Alabama defensive coordinator
9. Jedd Fisch, UCLA offensive coordinator
10. Jake Spavital, West Virginia offensive coordinator
11. Tee Martin, USC offensive coordinator
12. Matt Canada, LSU offensive coordinator
13. Tim Drevno, Michigan offensive coordinator
14. Jimmy Lake, Washington co-defensive coordinator
15. Mike Yurcich, Oklahoma State offensive coordinator

Can we add in food items such as Runza as long as they are related to pros and cons of Frost coming back to Nebraska, or Frost Contract Fringe Benefits?  

16 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

Ok, but this is why UCF is investing so much money in sports right now. They see where things are headed and if UCF can't prove that it deserves more than every other G5 school and a bunch of P5 schools, we'll get locked out forever. So they are putting a lot on the credit card right now. Our endowment is embarrassingly small. Our student athletic fees are massive. But UCF is hunkering down for the football apocalypse and we obviously think Frost is the guy to get us there. 

Good for UCF, but if I was a fan, I'd be concerned that paying out $4+ million/year for a coach would set back efforts everywhere else and even possibly bankrupt the athletic department.

According to this USA Today article, UCF makes $59 miilion in revenue and spends it all, and Nebraska makes $112 million in revenue and spends $103 million for $8 million/year in profit. And that article was before Nebraska got a full share from the B1G, which happened just this year. Like I said, good for UCF, but I don't see how they could possibly keep up.

Edited by RedDenver
  • Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Kinda what I thought so I think the guys we have on the roster can definitely operate the offense and it still can go at a high level with more of a pocket passer. If you can get a Jalen Hurts, Marcus Mariota or whoever back  there running his offense it will obviously be more effective, but it can still be very high octane with a guy who may have less physical gifts. Thanks for the insight. 

Another question I have is how OLine friendly is this system? Is Frosts staff getting alot out of a little there or do you just have some good players up front? 

It's hard for me to say, the system is so different than what we're used to. O'Leary ball was close to what I imagine Nebraska runs. But there are so many stunts and pulls that I don't really know whether the OLine is doing a good job or not. Someone smarter could. 

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

If Frost bolts for us, I'd easily see his OC taking over. 

OC doesn't call plays. He seems nice, but no one at UCF would be happy. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, ATS Knight said:

OC doesn't call plays. He seems nice, but no one at UCF would be happy. 

I've been impressed hearing him speak and watching him break film down. I have a funny feeling you'll see his name on a few "Up and Coming" lists in the near future. Plus, he's a finalist for the Broyles Award his year. Best keep ahold of him. 

10 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

UCF is in a tough situation. They pleaded for the fans to show up to the games and show scott how much they want him to stay. The fans responded by not showing up. I have seen comments on their boards that when they play good teams they will show up or when they play a P5 school they will show up. But dont want to show up for the regular games in their conference. Its like self inflicted wounds- because regardless of who their coach is if they dont have a certain standard for stadium attendence they will never get included on a P5 expansion. So its like entitled kids. "well invite us to a P5 conference and THEN we will show you how much we will show up in droves". Thats just not how the world works.

Could this be a Florida in general problem? The Jags have been covering seats and playing a lot of games in England, the Hurricanes are pretty notorious for not having good attendance, is it any better now that they're in the playoff hunt? I don't want to look it up because I hate them. I'd be interested to know what kind of crowd USF draws in comparison to UCF, I bet it's a similar deal.