** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

5 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

Someone will bring this issue up and it won't be a player.  It will be a reporter.  One of the cons of coming back to Nebraska for Scott will be that he will be under a microscope right away simply because he is one of us.

Just had a thought of one way to handle "things" and make it a positive.  Scott could briefly say something like "I made a bad choice coming out of high school, but I'm thrilled to get the chance to make the right choice today by becoming the Nebraska head coach.  We, as a Husker program can respect the past, but we must focus on the future!"  Toss all that crap under the bus in one quick, positive, looking forward statement.

• Plus1 1

Just now, grandpasknee said:

Just had a thought of one way to handle "things" and make it a positive.  Scott could briefly say something like "I made a bad choice coming out of high school, but I'm thrilled to get the chance to make the right choice today by becoming the Nebraska head coach.  We, as a Husker program can respect the past, but we must focus on the future!"  Toss all that crap under the bus in one quick, positive, looking forward statement.

A+ sir! Excellent response!

4 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Mitch Sherman is a former OWH reporter. This is a fluff piece in my opinion. Click bait. (But at least he's one of us and you can bet he wants Scott here just as badly as the rest of us do but can't say anything.)

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Blackshirts007 said:

Can someone give me a quick high-level explanation about the Frost/Lawrence debacle?  It's been discussed a lot about division with the team at the time.  I wasn't old enough to know at the time what was going on and I feel I can get a better unbiased explanation here than looking it up.  

I0kEFvR.gif

• Plus1 3

7 minutes ago, Blackshirts007 said:

Can someone give me a quick high-level explanation about the Frost/Lawrence debacle?  It's been discussed a lot about division with the team at the time.  I wasn't old enough to know at the time what was going on and I feel I can get a better unbiased explanation here than looking it up.  

LP was suspended for assaulting a former girlfriend during the 1995 season.  The assault took place after the MSU game at the apartment of SF.  So putting 2 and 2 together SF was obviously involved with LP's former girlfriend which is what led to the assault.  The suspension and the subsequent firestorm that reinstating him half a season later caused is to this day a black eye for TO and the 1995 team as a whole.  An aside to this--practices were open to the public up until the national media caught wind of this scandal and began sending reporters to Lincoln.  Practices have not been open to the public since.  

7 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

I don't know that I can even claim he made a bad choice.  He had a chance to go to one of the best universities in the country and play for one of the best offensive minds of all time.  I'm really not sure what fault I can find in that.  Worked out for everyone in the end.

I like your line of thinking but I don't think there's any reason to bring up anything along those lines.

• Plus1 7
20 minutes ago, knapplc said:

"The situation" is that Lawrence Phillips egregiously physically assaulted a woman.  Nothing - NOTHING - Scott Frost did warranted that action from Phillips.  There is no locker room code that puts blame on Frost in that instance.  That is 100% on Phillips, period.

Putting any blame on Frost also turns Kate McEwen into property, not a person, property subject to some man code of behavior that she, as a woman, is unable to circumvent.  McEwen has every right to date anyone she wants.  Locker room codes do not apply to her, or to the person she chooses to date.

This is absolutely true, but not the reason Scott was disliked by many of his teammates.  Scott was known for flirting with his teammates' girlfriends.  He was resented for it and dating McEwen only added to the issue.  

At Oregon, Chip Kelly paid a street agent $25K to secure the signature of a recruit.   

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I don't know that I can even claim he made a bad choice.  He had a chance to go to one of the best universities in the country and play for one of the best offensive minds of all time.  I'm really not sure what fault I can find in that.  Worked out for everyone in the end.

I like your line of thinking but I don't think there's any reason to bring up anything along those lines.

Yeah, I don't see how Frost going to Stanford can be thought of as a "bad choice" at the time, or even now.  It didn't work out for him, and he transferred to NU, where he enjoyed more success.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Plus he likely would have been 3rd string behind Frazier and Berringer.  

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Agreed.  I was never upset with his choice of Stanford.  It's his life.  Plus, it was Bill Walsh.....

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, 307husker said:

Seems strange that the Frosts haven't released the name of their son.  Think it might be a "tell".  My $ is on Tom, as Osborne would be a little too obvious.

Maybe they'll go with Lawrence in an effort to appease his 40 year old ex-teammates that are still disgruntled over college relationship happenings.

• Plus1 2
41 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If you would actually listen to the interview, they are basically saying "it was 20 years ago, things are way different now".  I don't think it's an issue to Foreman or Benning anymore, but can't you see it might be an issue to "some former players". 

I totally agree with this. I listened to it as well and couldn't for the life of me figure out why people were getting so bent out of shape over it.

• Plus1 2