** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

5 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

For those who think Lincoln, Nebraska is a difficult place to recruit to due to geographical location, I refer you to the University of Washington in Seattle. Yes, Seattle is a large city, but it is as isolated as any college in the country. If you can get over the mindset that Lincoln, Nebraska isn't just cornfields and is actually a pretty cool city for a college student then you will see Nebraska should be on recruiting par with UW.

have you been to Seattle?

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

For those who think Lincoln, Nebraska is a difficult place to recruit to due to geographical location, I refer you to the University of Washington in Seattle. Yes, Seattle is a large city, but it is as isolated as any college in the country. If you can get over the mindset that Lincoln, Nebraska isn't just cornfields and is actually a pretty cool city for a college student then you will see Nebraska should be on recruiting par with UW.

I have been all over the country and live in LA. Tuscaloosa, Knoxville, Norman, Austin, Seattle, Happy Valley, Columbus, Gainesville, etc would be considered boring and lame to most residents here. The point is to not talk negatively about these places but that I think location is so overblown. Nebraska unfortunately gets killed for a bad stereotype. Lincoln is so neat and clean. Memorial Stadium looks so damn amazing off the interstate, that it almost looks fake. I don't buy it. Nebraska is big time. 

• Plus1 6
Just now, huskerfan69 said:

have you been to Seattle?

Yes. Pretty cool city no doubt, but for a 18-21 year old playing college football Lincoln, NE doesn't offer much less. You can spend $80 to see the Space Needle so many times, smoked salmon sandwiches can get tiring about awhile, and all awhile living in the shadows of the Seahawks as it is a Seahawk city.

Point is, it is a big city, but it is close to nowhere else. Also Washington along with its surrounding states are not big recruiting grounds, so the Huskies have to go to California for most of their recruits and Cali to Seattle is a fairly big distance, probably longer distance then Lincoln to some major recruiting states.

I don’t think it’s as ridiculous as anyone else to think we could get David Shaw or Chris Petersen. For all those people who thinks we will break our own story on this hire, they fit the bill. I mean, you only have to look as far as our AD to find a hire that no one would think was going to happen. His alma mater, age, etc. A big splash hire outside of Frost is not unrealistic if something were to go south with Frost.

10 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Too me, maybe I'm alone here, it doesn't really matter if his salary is above market value for where he is in his career. It's more about where Nebraska is as a program, and the urgency there should be to return said program to relevancy. If Moos thinks Scott is the guy to do that, then pay him whatever it takes to get him here.

Someone's worth is solely based on what someone is willing to pay them.  Reason and logic don't play into it necessarily.

12 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

It's not just about geography. It's about geography combined with perception and reputation. Even if it was just geography, your comparison to Seattle is absolutely insane. The Seattle area has nearly 4 million people on the ocean. I won't bother highlighting the other differences, because they don't matter, because even if they didn't exist, Seattle is perceived better than Lincoln is. Perception is reality in the case of recruiting.

Also, what are you even talking about? Washington only recruits in the #15-30 range on average. None of their last three classes have broken the top 20 in rankings. We already are on recruiting par with UW???

10 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It's about winning. If Frost came to Nebraska and finished in the top 10 in, say year 2 and 3, the recruits would flock to Lincoln.

Certainly more than they do now, but we will never, even if we win three national championships in a row, regularly recruit on par with the Bamas/Ohio States/Floridas of the world. Ever.

Edited by Landlord
  • Plus1 1
Just now, Landlord said:

It's not just about geography. It's about geography combined with perception and reputation. Even if it was just geography, your comparison to Seattle is absolutely insane. The Seattle area has nearly 4 million people on the ocean. I won't bother highlighting the other differences, because they don't matter, because even if they didn't exist, Seattle is perceived better than Lincoln is. Perception is reality in the case of recruiting.

Also, what are you even talking about? Washington only recruits in the #15-30 range on average. None of their last three classes have broken the top 20 in rankings. We already are on recruiting par with UW???

Certainly more than they do now, but we will never, even if we win three national championships in a row, regularly recruit on par with the Bamas/Ohio States/Floridas of the world. Ever.

I think perception is key there landlord. Perception IMO, has hurt Nebraska the most in the last 20 years. 

Just now, Landlord said:

I agree. Don't think we need too though. Just got to be somewhere in that realm. If Nebraska wants to compete with the big boys we need an identity, and regularly recruit in the 8-15 range.

• Plus1 2