** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

Nebraska will never win multiple national championships in a row again. That isn't being a pessimist, but not even Alabama and Ohio State can do that these days. But like B.B said, just be in the realm and conversation and that'll be enough. Win a title maybe somewhere in a decade, but just play meaningful football into late November where you are talking division and conference titles.

• Plus1 1

28 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

If the gators don't get Kelly, they will be almost as disappointed and upset as if we don't get Frost. So you'll have to weigh that in as a coach when offered by the Gators, you immediately have to go and try to get the fan base on the same page.

I think that if we don't get Frost, it will send a vey negative message.  The last one to lead us to a championship, the favorite son, chosen one etc, doesn't choose us.  "What a dumpster fire we must be". Appears no real national media is giving us a chance to get Frost.  We are still viewed as an "also ran" that can't get our own guy.....

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, HuskerDan said:

Psst... I’ve got insider information, a friend of a friend of a friends, brothers , mechanics sister works at NU in the Science Building and heard from a friend in the Ag dept who heard from a friend in the Athletic Departments maintenance division.... Give Me A Break

Thanks for the insight, Dan!

• Plus1 1

Going back to the recruiting thing, let's also be clear about why/how these things are disadvantages.

Perception is a disadvantage because people on the coasts and in more densely populated areas of the country, where our recruits are, are somewhat ignorant of the heartland states, and they perceive Nebraska to be boring, rural, lacking in diversity, flat, and isolated. All of these things are true to one degree or another. We will always lose out on people because, right or wrong, they perceive a school in Texas or Ohio or California or Florida to be more lively/integrated/cultural/etc.

Geography is a disadvantage because it makes us have to spend way more resources to find players, because fewer of them are nearby, and also because it makes it more unlikely that players and their families will want to come here. Because it is further away from home. Not only that, but logistically, it's much easier to transport people to a school that's A) within easy driving distance, or B) near a major airport (which Omaha is not). Other big time schools have to expend less energy/resources, and don't have to convince as hard, in their quest for football recruits.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Going back to the recruiting thing, let's also be clear about why/how these things are disadvantages.

Perception is a disadvantage because people on the coasts and in more densely populated areas of the country, where our recruits are, are somewhat ignorant of the heartland states, and they perceive Nebraska to be boring, rural, lacking in diversity, flat, and isolated. All of these things are true to one degree or another. We will always lose out on people because, right or wrong, they perceive a school in Texas or Ohio or California or Florida to be more lively/integrated/cultural/etc.

Geography is a disadvantage because it makes us have to spend way more resources to find players, because fewer of them are nearby, and also because it makes it more unlikely that players and their families will want to come here. Because it is further away from home. Not only that, but logistically, it's much easier to transport people to a school that's A) within easy driving distance, or B) near a major airport (which Omaha is not). Other big time schools have to expend less energy/resources, and don't have to convince as hard, in their quest for football recruits.

Our biggest disadvantage is we haven't been relative in 20 years.  Last time we were in the hunt, the kids e are recruiting we're not even alive.  Win and recruiting goes up.  

Bama only over came the "recruiting" issues when they started winning....Clemson?  Same thing.

Recruits are savvy.  The internet puts a school in their back pocket.  Kids see the sh!t show we have been.  That hurts recruiting more than anything.  No one who can start at a P5 school that is highly touted is going to go to a 4-8 NU.....

Develop a culture, identity and win, recruits will come.....

Frost is energetic.  Recruits know who he is.  They hear about UCF, the kids being recruited by UT, NU, UF are sure as he// reading up on Frost.  They see a system, a culture and he is winning.....

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think that if we don't get Frost, it will send a vey negative message.  The last one to lead us to a championship, the favorite son, chosen one etc, doesn't choose us.  "What a dumpster fire we must be". Appears no real national media is giving us a chance to get Frost.  We are still viewed as an "also ran" that can't get our own guy.....

Don’t you think it will depend on why we didn’t get him? If he says no to us I think it will only be because he wants to stay where he is. I don’t think any of the other schools can outbid us. Remember Florida had conditions for their choice of head coach. We don’t have those conditions. 

1 hour ago, BoneyardHusker said:

what in the heck happened today? This morning we were all still feeling great from the news we got last night about Frost being N and tonight this place is dreadful with worry.

Well let's start with the fact that no one really knows anything yet.  You are bound to have wild swings when it is all rumors for weeks on end.

1 minute ago, ladyhawke said:

Don’t you think it will depend on why we didn’t get him? If he says no to us I think it will only be because he wants to stay where he is. I don’t think any of the other schools can outbid us. Remember Florida had conditions for their choice of head coach. We don’t have those conditions. 

Exactly.  If he stays at UCF, it says very little about Nebraska, and a lot about Scott Frost.  If he goes to Tennessee, then that might be a bad look for us.  If he goes to Florida...as much as it would just kill me, most could see reasoning behind it.  Heck, the national media has him penciled in there already.  So yeah....it depends on why we don't get him....AND, it will depend a lot on who we do get I think.  If we don't get Scott, but make a sledge hammer hire, then all is well.  IMO

• Plus1 3