** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

34 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

Once again, week in and week out playing P5 schools is a whole different animal then the one off bowl game. Take your Miss St. example. During the season when you guys are lining up with UConn and Maine, they have Auburn, Bama, LSU to deal with. I’m looking at this from a season perspective not game to game. 

I'm not saying that it is the same animal. What I'm saying is that one-off bowl games are all we have. UCF would be happy for a chance to see how we would do against P5 competition during the season. But we're not allowed. All we have are OOC games against middling-to-crappy P5s (again the only ones that will give us a home-and-home) and one-off bowl games. 

We don't get a lot of chances to prove ourselves. When we do, either we won because we didn't have the wear-and-tear of a P5 schedule, when we lose, it's because G5 teams don't belong on the same field as P5 teams. Did I mention that after we beat Georgia, the SEC pulled out of the Liberty Bowl? It was a good deal for them when our conference was crappy, but as it got closer and closer to beating them and eventually did, suddenly we were no longer a good measuring stick. 

5 minutes ago, BartonHusker said:

Ugh not what I wanted to read. Chip likely UCLA bound and once again Florida likely try for Frost. 

I'm not worried about the Florida job.  If he takes that job I don't think we really had a chance with him.  Urban Meyer took the Florida job over ND years back because he knew it represented his best opportunity to win big.  Winning championships was more important to him than coaching at his dream job, and that's fine.  If Frost shares that outlook he wouldn't take the NU job regardless if Florida was open.  He could simply wait for another great opportunity to open up.  If Frost comes to NU it's because this job offers him something no other one can.

1 minute ago, Chalk1988 said:

and the rumors, but why are the reporting Florida is going to make another push if they were told that deal was dead? 

They're also going after Matt Campbell. https://www.sportstalkflorida.com/college/florida-gators/florida-target-matt-campbell/. This article is dated Nivember 21st and they quoted the article that you said was just reported. I'm sorry, that was an old article.  

11 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

I'm not saying that it is the same animal. What I'm saying is that one-off bowl games are all we have. UCF would be happy for a chance to see how we would do against P5 competition during the season. But we're not allowed. All we have are OOC games against middling-to-crappy P5s (again the only ones that will give us a home-and-home) and one-off bowl games. 

We don't get a lot of chances to prove ourselves. When we do, either we won because we didn't have the wear-and-tear of a P5 schedule, when we lose, it's because G5 teams don't belong on the same field as P5 teams. Did I mention that after we beat Georgia, the SEC pulled out of the Liberty Bowl? It was a good deal for them when our conference was crappy, but as it got closer and closer to beating them and eventually did, suddenly we were no longer a good measuring stick. 

Which sucks but unfortunately is your reality. And that narrative exists because it’s largely true. It’s also the main reason why no really good coach is going to stay there for very long. I actually think Frost may not leave this year but long term any good coach with ambition is going to want to see what he can do against the big boys. Also not beIng able to sell out a 44,000 seat stadium doesn’t help either and seriously hurts your chances for P5 conferences to want you guys to join. 

Edited by olddominionhusker
  • Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Chalk1988 said:

and the rumors, but why are the reporting Florida is going to make another push if they were told that deal was dead? 

Heck, how many times was Michigan told that Harbaugh wasn't interested? They refused to give up, and eventually convinced him. Florida is going to try to do the same thing... they'll fail, though. I still think they'll end up with Charlie Strong. I think they're hoping that USF beats UCF so they can try to hype it up to their fans that Strong is better than Frost.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Heck, how many times was Michigan told that Harbaugh wasn't interested? They refused to give up, and eventually convinced him. Florida is going to try to do the same thing... they'll fail, though. I still think they'll end up with Charlie Strong. I think they're hoping that USF beats UCF so they can try to hype it up to their fans that Strong is better than Frost.

All the more reason to root for UCF then IMO.

6 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

Which sucks but unfortunately is your reality. And that narrative exists because it’s largely true. It’s also the main reason why no really good coach is going to stay there for very long. I actually think Frost may not leave this year but long term any good coach with ambition is going to want to see what he can do against the big boys. Also not beIng able to sell out a 44,000 seat stadium doesn’t help either and seriously hurts your chances for P5 conferences to want you guys to join. 

It is our reality and it is why we will have trouble unless some conference realignment happens. And I get why the CFP and the P5 would like to keep us out and make it as difficult as possible for us to succeed. As I said, if UCF was P5, I would want our administration to do the same thing. 

What I don't like is when I see fans parroting the same talking points. We can agree that UCF still has a ways to go until they are ready to even compete for a playoff spot, but let's not pretend that the best G5 teams don't consistently outperform expectations and are bottom-feeders when they do get a chance to change conferences. 

Schaefer mentioned that he didn’t think Frost was a done deal this week. There are a lot of reasons to believe Frost is coming home, but there’s still some reason to be nervous. It’s not simply dumb National writers speculating because they don’t believe we are a good destination.

Edited by Caliborn72