** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

A couple of thoughts about Frost coaching their bowl game:

a) his contract gives him $100K bonus for making a "major bowl game" (I'm guessing a Jan. 1 bowl qualifies). His contract gives him another $100K for winning that bowl game.

b) that is chicken feed, compared to his contract at NU and he can likely be persuaded to walk away early, from a financial standpoint.

c) being a guy that is loyal and has integrity, he could feel that (regardless of his next team/job) he owes it to these players to coach them through the bowl game. (Can we imagine Tom Osborne leaving Nebraska before a bowl game for a higher paying gig somewhere else?)

d) being allowed to stay and coach UCF's bowl game would also probably depend on UCF wanting him to do that. They may want to name a coordinator the interim head coach and move on more quickly than Scott Frost does. So even if (c) is true, it takes both sides to agree to that happening

e) from a "what's best for SF's brand" standpoint, I think there is more downside for him if he stays and loses the bowl game. If he walks away and UCF loses, it looks like they could not win without SF at the helm. If they win, it is still the program that SF built, just coached by one of his coordinators. How much more is his badge polished if he stays and wins? I think there is way more downside than upside to him staying

f) Frankly, Scott Frosts "brand" really shifts to Nebraska following this championship game (win or lose). So how much time and recruits is he going to be willing to lose for his next gig? I'm guessing not much.

Prediction: He is ours after the championship game and does not coach his bowl game. I'm less certain on what storyline is going to be on WHY that did not happen.

• Plus1 6
4 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

A couple of thoughts about Frost coaching their bowl game:

a) his contract gives him $100K bonus for making a "major bowl game" (I'm guessing a Jan. 1 bowl qualifies). His contract gives him another $100K for winning that bowl game.

b) that is chicken feed, compared to his contract at NU and he can likely be persuaded to walk away early, from a financial standpoint.

c) being a guy that is loyal and has integrity, he could feel that (regardless of his next team/job) he owes it to these players to coach them through the bowl game. (Can we imagine Tom Osborne leaving Nebraska before a bowl game for a higher paying gig somewhere else?)

d) being allowed to stay and coach UCF's bowl game would also probably depend on UCF wanting him to do that. They may want to name a coordinator the interim head coach and move on more quickly than Scott Frost does. So even if (c) is true, it takes both sides to agree to that happening

e) from a "what's best for SF's brand" standpoint, I think there is more downside for him if he stays and loses the bowl game. If he walks away and UCF loses, it looks like they could not win without SF at the helm. If they win, it is still the program that SF built, just coached by one of his coordinators. How much more is his badge polished if he stays and wins? I think there is way more downside than upside to him staying

f) Frankly, Scott Frosts "brand" really shifts to Nebraska following this championship game (win or lose). So how much time and recruits is he going to be willing to lose for his next gig? I'm guessing not much.

Prediction: He is ours after the championship game and does not coach his bowl game. I'm less certain on what storyline is going to be on WHY that did not happen.

d is a very good point that I had not considered.  It could very well be that after Scott makes his announcement that he's choosing Nebraska that UCF will want to move in and their bowl game would be the first game of their 'new' season under their new coach.

Thanks cheeky geek-good information.

26 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Bowl games really dont matter. I dont blame any future pro player for not playing them and I wouldnt blame a coach for not coaching in it.  The game is 3-4 weeks removed from the end of your season, and is a celebration for the players that made it. It is nice to make a big bowl and it helps in recruiting, but all the advantages of going to and winning a bowl game disappear if you are not going to be there next year.  

I agree with this.  Isn't it nuts that this is how we decide a national championship?  Let's take a month off then go ahead and play a game to decides who is the champ.  

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, dspanther05 said:

I agree with this.  Isn't it nuts that this is how we decide a national championship?  Let's take a month off then go ahead and play a game to decides who is the champ.  

You'd want to give the kids time off for Christmas but you could play round 1 of the playoff 2 weeks after the CCGs then the NCG could be played 2 weeks after that. Give the team's time to rest and prepare but don't take them completely out of the rhythm of the season. In this system everything would be wrapped up on the weekend of NY

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 1

49 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

Why?  I know all about the recruiting aspect and getting here etc. but this is such an unusual circumstance. Winning every game in your division, then if they do win  their CCG knowing you won't be allowed to coach these boys that you've spent the last two years developing for an opportunity to have a perfect season? I don't know. (And I'm asking sincerely 'why') I think that would be agonizing for Scott.  But he is an adult and there are always consequences to any decision that we make in life.  But I would like to know why this would be impossible.

You’re right, .... Frost will do what he wants regarding the Bowl game.

Moos isn’t stupid.

Next year will be tough for any coach; it’ll take time to get back to where it needs to be. No reason to pacify a few rabid fans now.

Danny Kanell said UCF might be a better job than Nebraska. Tell me if there is something I'm missing.

Facilities: Nebraska (Not even a discussion)

Fan Support: Nebraska (Not even a discussion)

Money: Nebraska (Not even a discussion)

Recruiting: Nebraska (UCF closer to talent, but there is a reason that we've out recruited them every year since recruiting rankings were invented)

Conference: Nebraska (C'mon)

History: Nebraska (C'mon)

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Maybe a less demanding SEC school (Vanderbilt?). The spotlight/fish bowl was too much for him. That much seems fairly obvious doesn't it? He was emotionally/mentally falling apart those last couple years. I can't imagine how his family felt watching that.

The spotlight is different in the SEC--if you're winning, then you can get away with eating your first born, as the end justifies the means with many of their fans. If Pelini comes into Tennessee and wins, he could pimp slap the entirety of Neyland Stadium, talk s*** about them all day in the media, and make sacrifices to Satan at midfield and they'll still love him. 

Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

Danny Kanell said UCF might be a better job than Nebraska. Tell me if there is something I'm missing.

Recruiting: Nebraska (UCF closer to talent, but there is a reason that we've out recruited them every year since recruiting rankings were invented)

Wasn't he the one who did color for the Iowa game and was so impressed with our crowd???????  Yes.  Yes, he was.

1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Anyone who says that is idiotic. Don't confuse recent program success to a better job. It may be an easier place to win a lot because it's a step down in competition. I bet Saban would kill it at UCF, but he wouldn't win any Nattys there 

1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Easier place to win: UCF

Stress Level: UCF

Current State of the Program: UCF

Program Potential (if UCF is bumped up to power 5): UCF

Realistic Expectations: UCF

I don't agree with him, but there are definitely some positives in UCF's favor.

1 minute ago, STL Husker said:

Easier place to win: UCF

Stress Level: UCF

Current State of the Program: UCF

Program Potential (if UCF is bumped up to power 5): UCF

Realistic Expectations: UCF

I don't agree with him, but there are definitely some positives in UCF's favor.

And if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. I'd debate program potential if they were in a power 5, but they're not, and there is no sign that they will be. Program potential leans heavy Nebraska.

• Plus1 4