** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

1 minute ago, STL Husker said:

Easier place to win: UCF

Stress Level: UCF

Current State of the Program: UCF

Program Potential (if UCF is bumped up to power 5): UCF

Realistic Expectations: UCF

I don't agree with him, but there are definitely some positives in UCF's favor.

Easier place to win... what??? Conference games? A G5 conference championship? Yeah, I'll give you that. But you're not winning anything of significance at UCF. And even IF (HUGE IF) they become a Power 5 team, I don't necessarily agree that they are superior in program potential.

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

And if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. I'd debate program potential if they were in a power 5, but they're not, and there is no sign that they will be. Program potential leans heavy Nebraska.

I know that one is a reach, but if he stayed, there's no reason for him to believe he couldn't sustain a high level of success.  They are in a top 20 TV market and in a state that a lot of conferences would love to gain a share/bigger share of.  I don't think it's too big of a stretch to see UCF and USF joining a power 5 conference together at some point.  If that happens then a lot Nebraska's advantages are diminished.  Again, I don't agree, but this is probably the biggest thing they can sell to a big time coach.

Just now, STL Husker said:

I know that one is a reach, but if he stayed, there's no reason for him to believe he couldn't sustain a high level of success.  They are in a top 20 TV market and in a state that a lot of conferences would love to gain a share/bigger share of.  I don't think it's too big of a stretch to see UCF and USF joining a power 5 conference together at some point.  If that happens then a lot Nebraska's advantages are diminished.  Again, I don't agree, but this is probably the biggest thing they can sell to a big time coach.

Yeah but I'm not so sure Florida, FSU, Miami would allow UCF into a power 5 league. I can see your advantages - but I think that debate is more so: Do you want to reach the pinnacle of your profession or do you want to be comfortable.

11 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

And if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. 

Unless your aunt was transgender and identified as female. 

But hey, let's get back to making broad generalizations about programs instead of making intelligent, nuanced discussion points about the topic. UCF has a legitimate shot at a P5 conference, but only when Oklahoma and (Texass/Kansas) bolt the Big XII for the B1G after the GOR expires. 

Edited by VectorVictor
  • Plus1 1
1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

This program needs immediate attention. If he wants the Nebraska job, he needs to get here and actually do the job. To hell with sentiment.

If I remember correctly,  we allowed Bo to go back and coach LSU'S National Championship game after we hired him as our HC. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Gundy turned down 6 year $42M at Tennessee. Confused why he even went to the interview if you turn down that deal.... 

Always interview. I think Frost might have made a small mistake in not sitting down with Florida.

20 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Danny Kanell said UCF might be a better job than Nebraska. Tell me if there is something I'm missing.

Facilities: Nebraska (Not even a discussion)

Fan Support: Nebraska (Not even a discussion)

Money: Nebraska (Not even a discussion)

Recruiting: Nebraska (UCF closer to talent, but there is a reason that we've out recruited them every year since recruiting rankings were invented)

Conference: Nebraska (C'mon)

History: Nebraska (C'mon)

Also keep in mind the bias: Kanell is from Florida (the state) and played in Florida, so it's not surprising he thinks Florida is better than Nebraska. And that influences how he views UCF vs UNL.

Gundy turned down 6 year $42M at Tennessee. Confused why he even went to the interview if you turn down that deal.... 

I explained this yesterday. Coaches and their agents know that they can scare their current employer into giving them a raise and/or contract extension by being linked with high-dollar job openings. The funny thing is (as I linked to yesterday) this coach (Gundy) did this exact same thing, to the exact same school (Tennessee), back in 2012.
Fool me ONCE, shame on you. Fool me TWICE...

This is why Tennessee is now REALLY behind the 8-ball. They have to question whether ANY coach who expresses interest in their program is playing them like Gundy did, or seriously interested in the job.

Edited by cheekygeek
  • Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

If I remember correctly,  we allowed Bo to go back and coach LSU'S National Championship game after we hired him as our HC. 

Key differences are 1) that he was a coordinator at LSU so he wasn’t trying to run 2 programs at once, and 2) the early signing date in DEC that went into effect this year. Back then you could pull double duty because no one could sign until early FEB and you could use the bowl game in late DEC/early JAN as publicity for your new recruits. Now you have to be able to go full out over just 3 weeks in DEC to build a staff and recruit like crazy to salvage the remaining members of this class to ensure they don’t defect to another school on the early signing day. Not to mention getting in enough on the other recruits you want to make them reconsider and delay their decision until early FEB so you have a chance to fill out the class with some talented players.

Edited by caveman99
6 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

I explained this yesterday. Coaches and their agents know that they can scare their current employer into giving them a raise and/or contract extension by being linked with high-dollar job openings. The funny thing is (as I linked to yesterday) this coach (Gundy) did this exact same thing, to the exact same school (Tennessee), back in 2012.
Fool me ONCE, shame on you. Fool me TWICE...

This is why Tennessee is now REALLY behind the 8-ball. They have to question whether ANY coach who expresses interest in their program is playing them like Gundy did, or seriously interested in the job.

Has Gundy got an extension based on this. I hadn’t heard anything about that

Deflects from his 3 losses this year - all at home I believe. Poke fans are now happy he is there and completely forget about their complaints earlier this year of being unable to win the big games. Great PR move by Gundy to keep his name relevant.

• Plus1 1

34 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Danny Kanell said UCF might be a better job than Nebraska. Tell me if there is something I'm missing.

Facilities: Nebraska (Not even a discussion)

Fan Support: Nebraska (Not even a discussion)

Money: Nebraska (Not even a discussion)

Recruiting: Nebraska (UCF closer to talent, but there is a reason that we've out recruited them every year since recruiting rankings were invented)

Conference: Nebraska (C'mon)

History: Nebraska (C'mon)

Your first mistake was listening to Danny Kanell. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

Bo is at the perfect school for him.  If you have been to Youngstown you know it fits him.

Very true. Growing up in Youngstown I can tell you his personality is 100% Youngstown. The city is very ethnic. Once they lost the steel mills in the late 70s it ended up similar to the depression! Everyone is extremely genuine but they have an enormous chip on their shoulder. An "us against the world" mentality. Always looking to get screwed somehow. It will always be home to me but I had to get out. Youngstown is as blue collar as it gets in this country.

Not to mention the mafia ties......but thats another story....