** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

4 hours ago, InOmaha said:

Why yes, their 16,000 students are less then our 25,000 students. But their fan base blows because a lot of Nebraska fans didn't go to UNL.

I guess the 45 million people in CA have enough to do without picking college teams. Oh well. If you're a college kid come play for people who will support you or play your conference championship in front of 15,000.

First of all, their entire undergrad is the size of our student section, and is comprised heavily of A) non-Americans who don't care about American football, and B) nerds who don't care about football.

Secondly, if I'm a college kid picking where to play football, and I have to choose between Nebraska and Stanford, I'm going to Stanford. Playing in front of 90,000 fans is cool and all, but does not at all compare to going to school in the tech capital of America, for free, a stone's throw away from the ocean, while getting a world class degree that will give me a near guarantee at any job I'm qualified for for the rest of my life. 

3 hours ago, RedNebraskan said:

You know what guys?  Tomorrow/Sunday is truly the new beginning we have waited for since Osborne.  We can put this year behind us.  We can put the last 20 years behind us and hell, we can even put the 90s behind us (appreciate it, but don't cling on to it).  Something special is starting for us soon.  This one definitely feels different than the rest of the hires.  Hope. Loyalty.  Passion.  Knowledge.  Resume.  GBR

Stuff like this really isn't necessary, and doesn't do anything to help our fanbase collectively have reasonable expectations. We have no idea how Frost as the coach of NU could go. There's decent enough reason to predict or guess that it will be successful, but how about we let the results of that decide, instead of crowning it an inevitability? It's entirely possible that this could all be a failure - just because Scott is from Nebraska and played at Nebraska does not make this a storybook destiny.

• Plus1 5
8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Stuff like this really isn't necessary, and doesn't do anything to help our fanbase collectively have reasonable expectations. We have no idea how Frost as the coach of NU could go. There's decent enough reason to predict or guess that it will be successful, but how about we let the results of that decide, instead of crowning it an inevitability? It's entirely possible that this could all be a failure - just because Scott is from Nebraska and played at Nebraska does not make this a storybook destiny.

He's an enormous risk. I've said, and will continue to say, I'd fire him in three years of he's not getting the job done as there may be little point in going past that if he can't show he can bust through this artificial ceiling we've had most of this century. If you want to compete at the highest level, you have to take risks. 

But.....the above quote also has a lot of truth. While Frost is a risk, bigger than I think most want to admit, the promise and potential of Frost has united this fan base in a way we haven't seen in forever. We got that a little in Pelini's first years but there was so much angst and division in the Solich and Callahan decisions that the on field excitement couldn't translate into off field community. Whether Frost ultimately succeeds or not, we will enter an era of unity of which is a long time coming.

• Plus1 5