Personnel Decisions

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/husker-extra-mailbag-riley-staff-s-curious-personnel-decisions-and/article_f6f9c1e3-05e1-5c46-ae8b-4af9813cb25e.html#tncms-source=home-latest-1

Wow.  Some good questions in there.  Why burn Roberts and Bradleys redshirts over meaningless mopup duty?  Why didn't the guy who rushed for 100+ the past threee games start?  And a rundown of the ESPN Predictor for the rest of the season, and it's ugly.   Their best chance of winning another game is a 38.9% chance of winning against Northwestern.  :bang

• Plus1 2

Ozigbo, like a few other players many people knew should get PT, only got PT because of injuries. I was then barked at because "the coaches know more than you" argument. Also how we will never sub someone in if the starter is playing like complete dog turds. This coaching staff is laughable 

Edited by BIG ERN
  • Plus1 4

My roster mismanagement issues goes beyond wasting redshirts.

1.  In 3 years at NU, there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason on the RB rotation or who gets bulk of carries

2.  I have accepted that Cav won't rotate linemen, but why did it take injuries for Decker and Jamies to get the starting jobs at linemen positions this year.  I think there have been other years where Cav hasn't always played the best linemen.

3.  In correlation to #2, there doesn't seem to be any danger of starting players to lose their job due to poor performance (especially this year)

4.  Riley has had opportunities to over-sign recruiting classes to get closer to the 85 scholarship limit, and he hasn't done so.

• Plus1 3

Not taking a side here, but seriously don't we have a lot of injuries.  There are still five games to play, so do we really know the shirt being gone is reckless.

You guys follow the players and who and whats more than I do.  I just get the information on this board.  But my feelings have always been if a kid is ready to play as a freshman, play him, because if he is that good, he won't be here for his senior year anyway.

I guess Ozigbo, Roberts and Bradley are a ways down my list of personnel complaints.  Would be nice for Roberts to get in on defense more but freshman LBs are prime special teams material so burning his redshirt was probably always going to happen.  There aren't very many RBs that HAVEN"T redshirted in the past 15 years.  This may have been an opportunity but with Bryant a big question mark, I don't know that it's the worst thing.

I'd first look at their infatuation with Lamar Jackson.  He was forced on the field last year despite better options and him obviously not being ready.  Then they insisted on moving and then keeping Kalu at safety mainly so Jackson would have a spot even though we have better options down the list at safety than we do at corner.  He's still well below average.

I personally don't have a big issue with Ozigbo being third string because I think he's limited.  He's a strong runner but he isn't going to make people miss and isn't that fast so he has limited big play potential.  And he's not a great receiver.  My bigger question is why did they insist on playing him in front of Newby last year even when Newby was out-performing him EVERY SINGLE GAME?

And their choice at QB have been suspect.  It would have been tough to come in and bench TA but if they were going to go with him they needed to be committed to a different set of play-calling which took them an entire year to figure out.  Now they're married to Tanner Lee who has fortunately improved from Terrible to Average but is basically Ryker Fyfe so why couldn't POB even get a look, especially in those games where Lee was struggling terribly?

And I still can't figure out what Kieron Williams must have done so terribly to end up in the dog house.  Kid just makes plays.

• Plus1 2