Personnel Decisions

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I guess Ozigbo, Roberts and Bradley are a ways down my list of personnel complaints.  Would be nice for Roberts to get in on defense more but freshman LBs are prime special teams material so burning his redshirt was probably always going to happen.  There aren't very many RBs that HAVEN"T redshirted in the past 15 years.  This may have been an opportunity but with Bryant a big question mark, I don't know that it's the worst thing.

I'd first look at their infatuation with Lamar Jackson.  He was forced on the field last year despite better options and him obviously not being ready.  Then they insisted on moving and then keeping Kalu at safety mainly so Jackson would have a spot even though we have better options down the list at safety than we do at corner.  He's still well below average.

I personally don't have a big issue with Ozigbo being third string because I think he's limited.  He's a strong runner but he isn't going to make people miss and isn't that fast so he has limited big play potential.  And he's not a great receiver.  My bigger question is why did they insist on playing him in front of Newby last year even when Newby was out-performing him EVERY SINGLE GAME?

And their choice at QB have been suspect.  It would have been tough to come in and bench TA but if they were going to go with him they needed to be committed to a different set of play-calling which took them an entire year to figure out.  Now they're married to Tanner Lee who has fortunately improved from Terrible to Average but is basically Ryker Fyfe so why couldn't POB even get a look, especially in those games where Lee was struggling terribly?

And I still can't figure out what Kieron Williams must have done so terribly to end up in the dog house.  Kid just makes plays.

This. He's like 20th string 

2 hours ago, skersfan said:

Not taking a side here, but seriously don't we have a lot of injuries.  There are still five games to play, so do we really know the shirt being gone is reckless.

You guys follow the players and who and whats more than I do.  I just get the information on this board.  But my feelings have always been if a kid is ready to play as a freshman, play him, because if he is that good, he won't be here for his senior year anyway.

I'm with you. Use the best weapons you have available every game and heck with the future. We haven't had that luxury. If they're good enough they'll leave early and if they're impatient they'll transfer. Go win the gol darn game. What are we saving them for, to go 8-4 instead of 7-5? We haven't won a cc in what, about 19 years...

Just now, El Diaco said:

I'm with you. Use the best weapons you have available every game and heck with the future. We haven't had that luxury. If they're good enough they'll leave early and if they're impatient they'll transfer. Go win the gol darn game. What are we saving them for, to go 8-4 instead of 7-5? We haven't won a cc in what, about 19 years...

I don't have an issue with not redshirting guys, but just use them once the redshirt is burned. I am sure that most of them are used in special teams, but if the top units aren't performing, then the coaches might as well use the true freshmen in regular offense and defense. 

We have had this idea for a quite awhile.  It isn't a new deal with Coach Riley.  The future is now.  We have done it for years, even if they don't play all the time, they are getting in game reps.  I am not impressed with the Cavanaugh approach.  He is really the one I think should go and should have a long time ago.  This is not the NFL.

The offensive line is the biggest area of NOT sustituting in my view to our long term detriment.  This may have been fine in year 1 so you can redshirt and save as much as possible for year 3 and beyond.  But, as long we continue this play only about 7 guys all year then we are always putting in a new cast of characters with little experience.  We needed to sacrifice in year 1 and if need be, year 2 to stockpile depth all over the team.  Now, we are playing more youth than in the past but so much of it was inexperienced.   I believe the O line injuries that happened in the latter half of the season is in part due to those starters not getting enough rest in the first half the year.  The more snaps, the more chance of injury - it is a matter of statistics really.  The more snaps you play, the greater than chance of injury.  If you spread out the snaps and keep guys fresher, they are more agile and less likely to get caught in piles, rolled over and bull dogged to the ground, etc.  Fatigue makes you slow and weak. 

As for who should be playing, you'd surely think the coaches would play the best players as they know winning is important and its not like we are so overstocked with talent we can win without the best out there.  I have liked Ozigbo since the first few carries two years ago and I still do.  I never liked Newby and would have had him 4th string.  But, that aside, at this point, if the games aren't winnable, then we need to think next year and beyond.  This should always be the plan when your are building.  Once you reach thetop threshold, you can begin to level off the stockpiling and depth increase but you should never stop until you are truly 3 deep with guys who are ready for prime time players.       

• Plus1 1

I honestly don't feel shirts have been wasted. We needed Bradley when Wilbon was knicked up anyway and he played quite a few snaps against Rutgers. He will probably be needed later in the season. As for Roberts I'm sure he has been or will be used on special teams. He is a gonna be good and deserves to be getting on the field one way or another.