Personnel Decisions

5 hours ago, Isle of View said:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/husker-extra-mailbag-riley-staff-s-curious-personnel-decisions-and/article_f6f9c1e3-05e1-5c46-ae8b-4af9813cb25e.html#tncms-source=home-latest-1

Wow.  Some good questions in there.  Why burn Roberts and Bradleys redshirts over meaningless mopup duty?  Why didn't the guy who rushed for 100+ the past threee games start?  And a rundown of the ESPN Predictor for the rest of the season, and it's ugly.   Their best chance of winning another game is a 38.9% chance of winning against Northwestern.  :bang

Why do anything the way they’re doing it? For appearances.

I think it’s gonna take a while even if Frost comes in. There are a bunch of deficiencies that are hard to cover.

He will need to recruit a stud at DL, LB , and in the secondary. JUCO will be the best bet. If K State hires Bohl ,even that will be tough.

My roster management issues:

Ozigbo is the worst, but that's been well documented.

Not pulling Lee when he was raining picks.  Additionally, not getting POB snaps when the game is donzo.

Im baffled that Lamar Jackson is on the field period.  They move the guy that has probably played the best corner all year, which unfortunately isn't saying a lot, Bootle, to safety.  I wonder if LJ is a super athlete that is just not a corner.

Ben Stille.  What does he need to do to get on the field more?

3 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I think it’s gonna take a while even if Frost comes in. There are a bunch of deficiencies that are hard to cover.

Really? 3 weeks ago we thought we had turnstiles for lineman. 2 changes went a long way.

The thing that happens every time there is coaching change is a fresh look at things....guys that were buried with one coach can become stars with another.

Shaquem Griffin, UCF's one handed LB, is an extreme example. He's recruited several years ago with his twin brother, whom had offers from higher profile schools, but wouldn't sign unless they took both. His brother becomes a starter while he is mostly on the scout team. When Frost comes and wonders how a one handed player functions he finds out this kid can really play. Changes from Safety to LB and wins conference defensive player of the year. 

There will need to be roster changes, and one shouldn't expect a lot year 1. But year 2 they should win the west, that bar is honestly not that high.

• Plus1 3

I think this has always been Nebraska fan's problem.  Lack of respect for its competition.   Wisconsin is not a push over, they haven't been since we joined the Big 10.   They will be tough again next year and put a beating on us this year.  Thinking you can just automatically start beating them in year such and such is silly.  We have a lot of work to do to be competitive with them.  We have not seen a top ten final ranking in I have no idea how long.  Wisconsin floats around it, it seems every year.   I would like to see us actually win one of our games before we start predicting we will. 

4 hours ago, skersfan said:

I think this has always been Nebraska fan's problem.  Lack of respect for its competition.   Wisconsin is not a push over, they haven't been since we joined the Big 10.   They will be tough again next year and put a beating on us this year.  Thinking you can just automatically start beating them in year such and such is silly.  We have a lot of work to do to be competitive with them.  We have not seen a top ten final ranking in I have no idea how long.  Wisconsin floats around it, it seems every year.   I would like to see us actually win one of our games before we start predicting we will. 

You're right, Nebraska will never beat them, especially year 2 of a new coach when the performance differential is the greatest. They have a great record against the top east teams, because they play them so much, showing their clear conference superiority to Nebraska.

As far as respect for other teams, I know what you mean. Nebraska will never win again until it stops with the ovation for the other team. Other teams will sometimes erroneously write letters and comments about how nice and respectful Nebraska fans were, but that's probably just sample error and best ignored. If they were only more respectful, they'd win more games.

• Plus1 1