Riley Says Defensive Plan was Fine, Execution Wasn't

Mavric

"I think what I would say is most disappointing was not necessarily anything about the plan, it was just the execution of the plan," he said. "When you get beat physically -- if it's a one-on-one (tackle situation) and you get beat -- I get that. 

"When you absolutely aren't in your right spot, or your area, or on your right man, that's what's disappointing to me. So, that's a combination of all of us doing better -- making sure (the player) knows and then it's up to that guy to make sure we're assignment-perfect.

"That's what I'd like to change. I'd like to go back and replay particularly some of the early third downs -- just be in a little better position -- and see what that would've done for the game. Maybe nothing ..."

LJS

17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

"That's what I'd like to change. I'd like to go back and replay particularly some of the early third downs -- just be in a little better position -- and see what that would've done for the game. Maybe nothing ..."

Hmmm. First, the 'maybe nothing' is concerning, as if he just doesn't have a clue.  Second, I'd much rather replay some of those particular third downs on video, learn from them and see what that might do for the next game, rather than imagining how it might have effected a game that is already history.

• Plus1 2

I think the goal of the "bend-don't-break" defense is to not give up the big play. However, 8 to 10 yard chunks are OK because they aren't the big play.

Eventually, the offense will run out of field because of the back of the endzone and get confused...or something.

So it kind of executed. Kind of.

32 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Sure, a coach thats putting it all on the players.  If you don't have the horses to run in the race, change races.  In other words, if the scheme doesn't fit our players abilities, change it or just simply it so the KIDS can execute it!

This x 100

We've had a "problem executing the gameplan" ever since joining the B1G, Pelini or Riley.

What's the constant; well, the gameplan itself has been relatively similar. Our D-line is told to hold their ground & sorta 'read-and-react' to the play & let the LB's & safeties shoot the proper gaps to make the play (or in our case; over-pursue, shoot the wrong gap, take a bad angle, or run into the D-lineman's back.)

Just tell our guys to get into the backfield, cause disruption, & make the play when it's their to be made. That seems to be the gameplan for most of the other B1G teams, and they all play each other relatively tough.