Coach search......if needed

C N Red

3 minutes ago, Keith.Wassung said:

He would not be "assisting" the new coach. 

Then who would he be "assisting"?  If he's a recruiting coordinator or helping to recruit the west coast, how is that not "assisting" the football coach?  I know he wouldn't be an official assistant coach, but he would be on the football staff.  Anyway, I don't know why it's even worth arguing about, Riley would never do it.  He probably doesn't think he should be fired, so why would he take such a huge demotion like that.

Search firm Wolken, Wolken & Wolken has advice for Nebraska, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Arkansas

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2017/10/19/advice-schools-looking-fire-and-hire-nebraska-tennessee-ole-miss-arkansas/780782001/

Nebraska

Current coach: Mike Riley (3rd season, 18-14, Hot Seat Level 8/10)

Dream hire: Justin Fuente 

The Oklahoma-Nebraska rivalry is sadly as extinct as the American mastodon, but one person who would still have an appreciation for what Cornhuskers football means is Fuente. A Tulsa native who played quarterback for the Sooners before transferring, he started for Oklahoma in 1996 against Nebraska, completing six of 15 passes with three interceptions in a 73-21 loss.

Turns out Fuente became a much better coach than than player. Though it will be difficult to pry him away from a very comfortable situation at Virginia Tech, where he’s 15-5 midway through his second season, Nebraska would be dumb not to at least inquire if he’s interested in getting back closer to home. 

Central Florida head coach Scott Frost.

Central Florida head coach Scott Frost. (Photo: James Guillory, JUSA TODAY Sports)

Sensible hire: Scott Frost 

The verdict on whether Frost can successfully run his own program has come quickly. The answer is yes. UCF’s offensive efficiency is downright scary at times, and the Knights are positioned well at 5-0 to be the Group of Five representative in a New Year’s Six bowl. Still, he’s only been a head coach for two years, so it’s a bit of a risk whether his approach would translate up a level.

Moreover, would a prodigal son scenario even be healthy for Frost given the sky high expectations of a legendary player coming back to rescue the program from irrelevance? Still, the alma mater pull could be strong for Frost, and it would make all the sense in the world if this happened. 

Entertainment value hire: Mike Leach

I like the use of a search firm to develop an initial list of candidates and a finalist list of candidates for the AD and Administration to use. It also allows the AD/Admin/School to save face when high profile coaches turn down interest by plausible deniability of the school. However, as others have said, I think the ultimate decision must come down to the AD.

Edited by bugeater17

4 hours ago, Hilltop said:

If they make the decision for him, there is almost no accountability.  What coaches are employed rests fully on the AD's shoulders.  At a minimum, the AD needs to be very comfortable with the "suggestions" made by the University and the boosters when it comes to hires.  Why else pay this person the kind of money that we do?  Heck, we wouldn't even need someone qualified if they don't have to make decisions.  Just hire some pretty young woman who can just be the talking piece for the media...smh.

Moos is 66.  I'm not sure he is worried about accountability one way or the other.  If he screws up the hire or higher ups screw it up, it won't be proven until he's almost 70.  This concerns me.

4 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Well, gif still isn't working. :lol:

riker.gif

right click gif and select "Copy image address" and the "Insert other media" menu is at lower right hand corner of editor as Enhance said- "Are you clicking "insert other media" and doing "insert image from url""

Edited by 4skers89

I want the best coach possible for NU.  I don't care how it comes about.  I have no issue with a firm being consumed with a very well defined criteria required of the new coach. I would like to include such things as philosophy, cultural wished to be established at NU, a detailed and thorough plan on how to restore NU to prominence.  Offensive and defensive scheme, how to better recruitment, thoughts on staff and coordinators.  I'd even ask how to restore the psyche of a team and get them over the "other shoe is about to drop" mentality... Then provide a list to the Moos and Co...

I truly believe that we are so far from relevance that this hire will make or break NU.  NO conference win in almost 20 years, a continued downward trend (perception or reality) and continually losing in grand fashion on the big stage........We blow this hire and have another blah hire that by year 3 is trending, we will be doing a wash, rinse repeat until we are truly and completely a bottom feeder B1G team.......

I just don't want to see some ticker on ESPN or a new thread on this board naming some dude I have to google, with a .500 record and tell my wife, we just hired "X". We are screwed.........I think we have really missed getting a guy who understands the "culture" of NU.  We got a chance to finally get it right.  Hoping we do...

All the national pundits love Mike Riley.... think he’d be a great hire.

Lets not just limit it to suggestions from Husker fans, let’s throw in all the suggestions from distant goofballs who really don’t give a damn.

Heck, let’s hire a complete stranger to make the pick, maybe even blindfold him and throw a dart.

On October 18, 2017 at 8:49 PM, jessica0 said:

I'm not going to pretend to know how it will go, but I'm sure I wouldn't be far off to say he will do it on his own. What I would personally do is throw a $7 million offer to Chip Kelly and make him say no. Then go to Scott Frost with a $6M or $5M offer and just flat out tell him that the state of Nebraska wants you. If those fail, then go after coaches that are the best coaches and don't let recruiting impact the choice. 

IMO, the best teacher and play caller is the Navy head coach. 

The issue with doing this is Kelly and Frost I am sure still communicate.  How would it look to offer one guy one price and then low ball another?  

I'm no expert, but isn't using a search firm more of a collaborative effort with the AD.

At a very simple, high level view, I'm assuming the process is somewhat like the following:

1)AD gives search firm criteria for job and list of potential candidates.

2) Search firm contacts/investigates candidates and removes candidates from list based on lack of interest by candidate or some disqualifying factor.

3) Together AD/search firm/NU admin forms list in order of preference and contacts candidates in order of preference.

4) NU hires first candidate who agrees to contract (remember, we start with our preferred candidate and go down the list)

5 hours ago, Dbqgolfer said:

I'm no expert, but isn't using a search firm more of a collaborative effort with the AD.

At a very simple, high level view, I'm assuming the process is somewhat like the following:

1)AD gives search firm criteria for job and list of potential candidates.

2) Search firm contacts/investigates candidates and removes candidates from list based on lack of interest by candidate or some disqualifying factor.

3) Together AD/search firm/NU admin forms list in order of preference and contacts candidates in order of preference.

4) NU hires first candidate who agrees to contract (remember, we start with our preferred candidate and go down the list)

I'm hoping this is the way it goes. And then on #4 I hope it's our first choice.