Coach search......if needed

C N Red

If we end up deciding to go a different direction, and need a new HC, how will the search look? From sounds of things ADMoos has short lists for coaches in all sports. Problem with this is 2 fold as i can see. 1.) Are the coaches on the list good enough to be considered for Nebraska( this isnt Wazzu.) 2.) Will ADMoos go out on his own to hire him like Eic? I would hope a search firm is part of the process but from sounds of what he said im not so sure it would be.

• Plus1 1

I'm not going to pretend to know how it will go, but I'm sure I wouldn't be far off to say he will do it on his own. What I would personally do is throw a $7 million offer to Chip Kelly and make him say no. Then go to Scott Frost with a $6M or $5M offer and just flat out tell him that the state of Nebraska wants you. If those fail, then go after coaches that are the best coaches and don't let recruiting impact the choice. 

IMO, the best teacher and play caller is the Navy head coach. 

• Plus1 1

I'm sure he had a list for WSU and will now have a different list for Nebraska.

Tough to say how the search will go, but rarely is an AD given full autonomy on these things.  Especially so this time bc of what happened with Eichorst. 

Moos seems pretty savvy. I think he'll get a lay of the land in the coming weeks and see what the money men and fans want in a hire. Who would be a popular hire (Frost). See who's interested and make a plan to go get the new coach.

Personally, I don't really care for search firms. A search firm for an AD is a bit different. I'm ok with that. I want an AD to hire the coach though. At Nebraska, hiring the right coaches is the most important aspect of the job for an AD.

Hiring a search firm feels like a built in excuse in case the coach isn't successful. I understand I may be in the minority on this. 

24 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

Personally, I don't really care for search firms. A search firm for an AD is a bit different. I'm ok with that. I want an AD to hire the coach though. At Nebraska, hiring the right coaches is the most important aspect of the job for an AD.

Hiring a search firm feels like a built in excuse in case the coach isn't successful. I understand I may be in the minority on this. 

I think search firms are generally used to find out who is interested in the job behind the scenes. Also gives both sides deniability.

The University still makes the decision.

Glad to see this thread turned into another Scott Frost circle $%$J  session.  It was a good effort C N Red.

To stay on topic.  This is the problem when you put your eggs all into one basket.  If it doesn't work out, everyone is ticked.  I've seen some names floated by other posters like Dave Doeren, Venables, Matt Campbell and others that I think would make good HCs should Frost not work out for whatever reason.  The issue is people are hellbent on Frost or bust.  If it comes up bust, how much more fractured is the fan base going to be?

Edited by Xmas32
  • Plus1 1

Offering a coach at $5M should be able to get you a solid coach. 

Tom Herman $5.75 million
Clay Helton $3.8 million
Kirby Smart  $3.75 million
PJ Fleck $3.5 million 
Justin Fuente $3.4 million
Willie Taggart $3.3 million
Jeff Brohm $3.3 million 
Lincoln Riley $3.1 million 

It would take close to $6M, IMO, to get any of just 6 of those coaches and you know the school they coach at would match an offer. Just imagine an offer going to Kirby Smart for $5M. Guess what Georgia would do? THey would match it instantly. 

Purdue was very smart to pay Brohm what they did. It would cost a lot of money to pull him away from Purdue. 

• Plus1 2

Ya, please try to keep it on topic. Theres already a thread on Frost.

Will the choice be made single handedly by ADMoos, will a search firm be used, should ADMoos be allowed to go rogue and choose a coach himself?

Edited by C N Red

Sharp and Benning mentioned this today and I totally agree with it.

I don’t care how the AD goes about it (search firm, rogue, advisory board) as long as the interest of the University are put first.

No more putting the ADs interests first (Pud and Eichorst), no more allegedly putting the boosters interests first (TO).  Hire the best coach possible for the University of Nebraska.  If that the “Golden Boy” or someone else so be it.  Just do what’s right for the whole program.

Edited by Pedro Guerrero
  • Plus1 1

I guess you sort of came of as not caring about our current situation.... I meant no disrespect. However, I have acquiesced the idea of Mike Riley, a coach who an AD abused his discretion and asserted complete autonomy, without any informed consent/ informed discussion before he  made the hire. I believe that Shawn Eichorst will find that this decision will plague his career. It was a bold move, but negligent in many regards.   I think what S. Frost does is represent hope, and also he represents comfort. Being a native Nebraskan, and a former player, most people feel he would be able to cultivate an environment among his team where they understand how important this team means to the great state of Nebraska. 

This thread should be mostly cleaned up now. I left a couple of posts that straddle the line.

All, please keep this topic focused on the search process and not individual candidates or candidates you believe would be good hires. There are several threads already discussing this.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

This thread should be mostly cleaned up now. I left a couple of posts that straddle the line.

All, please keep this topic focused on the search process and not individual candidates or candidates you believe would be good hires. There are several threads already discussing this.

This!!