Enough with the fan abuse

tmfr15

I will show my disinterest if the team looks like they flat out aren’t trying or if playcalling is just horrible. Also, the game Saturday students had fall break. I wasn’t going to stay until the end watching a beat down when I could end up getting home before midnight instead of 2 or later. First game I’ve ever left early, and probably the most disappointing game I’ve ever been too and it’s up their with the most disappointing I’ve ever seen. (Home games laying an egg like that feels so bad)

screw that, I ain't getting a free education, free clothes, free food, free tutors, free shoes... These coaches are paid millions, the players are getting a top notch education and a job interview for the NFL, all on our dime, if these people cannot perform at a respectable level I have a damn right to be upset.

Edited by timmytbro
mispelled
  • Plus1 2

22 minutes ago, Rike Miley said:

Thats not what he meant at all. Not one bit. He was talking about the fans that would rather be right about their prediction  on coaches than actually supporting the University. And hes absolutely right. You see it right here on this board. The guys that posted the day Riley was hired that he would be a failure and be fired within 3-4 years. And then theyve come back this season just to say they were right all along and we should have listened to them. You think those "fans" gave Riley any shot at all? Nope. Just wanted to be right about their predictions three years ago. Thats who DB was talking about. Not fans that voice their displeasure after they have given the guy a chance and have seen for themself it is not working. 

So it's not ok to question the decision that was made, feel it wasn't going to work, then reflect that someone was correct? I haven't missed a home game in 12 years, that kind of support?  So I never thought Mike would work, but still went to every home game, let's mention 3 away games as well.  But I have no right to say I was correct because "I am not supporting the team".  Pretty sure I support the team in many ways.  No one is gloating because they were right.  They are voicing the frustration of having to listen to the rhetoric of this staff and the countless apologies and excuses from other "fans".  I also was one of those 10000 last week still left at the end, and think Mike was an awful hire.  I don't need someone telling me how to feel and how to critique a team. 

I just wanted to be right as I sit through these games?  Comme on man not at all. 

Edited by KingBlank
  • Plus1 3

I personally feel it's a distraction. We're talking about an inept program which is swaying fans a certain way, and then pointing the fingers at the wrong people. You can love the Huskers and not love the quality of coaching or the stagnation of progress across the board. It is not all or nothing.

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, tmfr15 said:

As Nebraska navigates through another tough season and probably a transition, there seems to be those fans and talking heads who want to put the focus on the fan and to somehow make the case that its our fault, the fault of the fan, that the program is in the shape it's in now.

Enough of that.

Damon Benning's talk on NET's Big Red Wrap got my blood boiling. He was talking about how we all need to just come together and tell everyone that the University of Nebraska comes first. We are not supposed to advocate for OUR guy in terms of favorite coach. If you like Scott Frost for HC, you aren't supposed to talk. Talk positively on any other coach but Mike Riley and prepare to get shamed. Also, don't leave the stadium early while we are getting blown out. Don't boo if you don't like what's happening on the field. And don't be critical of anything. Stop complaining and fall into line behind the program.

News Flash! It doesn't matter how many fans fall behind the program in robotic fashion, it will still come down to whether or not the University of Nebraska wants to hire a new coach or not. It comes down to whether or not the University of Nebraska hires a good coach or retains a good coach. It comes down to recruiting. It comes down to players doing their jobs. It comes down to the difficulty of opponents. It comes down to luck at times. It comes down to a 1,000 other things.

The fan is about 999th on the list.

As Ohio State beat Nebraska, there were fans around me who got up and headed for the gates. I didn't. I stayed the whole game. There were some fans who booed. I didn't. I tried to stay positive. There were some pretty upset people. I wasn't. I internalize that stuff.

And so Damon Benning thinks if everyone will just act like me, then our problems will be solved. He's wrong.

I get why people want to go home. Maybe they had work on Sunday. Maybe they just were not having a good time. And I am OK with that. I sure hope that we get this thing rolling in the right direction and those fans come back. I am sure that they will.

Nebraska fans have stuck behind this team. In the many times since, oh, about 2002, when we get drilled, I go to the stadium the next week and think that will be the week that the stadium is half empty at kick. Husker fans just keep showing up and keep cheering. Kudos to you guys. And even if, at some point in the future, the fans stop coming.... it won't be because they don't want the team to be successful. It will be because the games are simply too costly and not enough fun to make sense as an investment of significant dollars.

Ohio State is in the books. And we march on to Purdue hoping for the best.

In the meantime, if Nebraska struggles, I am hoping that people will keep it down with the "Fan is to blame!" nonsense.

It's hard on this fan's ears.

Benning mumbles bumbles and stumbles through his show most time, hes my least fav 1620 guy.

Of course its not The Fans fault, sheesh, but the best, most expedient way to show The Power that, is just dont go to the crap games.  Suddenly you will see how much its NOT The Fans fault as They grovel and drool for your money, begging The Fans to come back...

Edited by Big Red Commie
  • Plus1 1

And its better to nix the goofy sellout streak at this point and stop showing up for the, again, crappy crap they-vastly overpaid fools-put on the field.  Fans have the power snd money talks, thats the real world.  If you want serious change, hit em in the pocketbook.

It makes me sick all the s#!t coaches that have gotten rich off of NE doing s#!t work the last 15 yrs and Riley Inc. has especially made the program worse and he still gets paid 1000s every damn day of the year.

Its bulls#!t.

Edited by Big Red Commie
  • Plus1 1

I don't think you need to intentionally end the sellout streak to get the point across. The point has been made - that's why there's an entirely new athletic director.

The sellout streak is one of the football program's biggest remaining assets and this fan base is (in my opinion) the best fan base in the country because of it. I will be saddened if it ends one day but, if the day does come, I hope we can all reflect while realizing it is never and will never be the fan's fault for the streak ending. Fans are not the reason that stadium fills up - it's always been about the team.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

The thing that makes me chuckle is that a few poeople who disagree with DB come out and say things proving his point.  Hey it’s all good.  Season is over in 6 weeks and we will all see what happens.

?

Sports are entertainment.  If folks arent entertained by their qb throwing pick 6s and their defenses inability to stop either the run or pass, or the entire operation not to get repeately humiliated on the national stage, then fans can say its bulls#!t and stop going to stupid games, and they will continue in that way.

All this "show of loyalty to the U" and "fans should come together" is utter nonsense.  Fans are not entertained by crap and wont pay for it and will say its crap.

Thats the bottom line.

• Plus1 4
50 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

So it's not ok to question the decision that was made, feel it wasn't going to work, then reflect that someone was correct? I haven't missed a home game in 12 years, that kind of support?  So I never thought Mike would work, but still went to every home game, let's mention 3 away games as well.  But I have no right to say I was correct because "I am not supporting the team".  Pretty sure I support the team in many ways.  No one is gloating because they were right.  They are voicing the frustration of having to listen to the rhetoric of this staff and the countless apologies and excuses from other "fans".  I also was one of those 10000 last week still left at the end, and think Mike was an awful hire.  I don't need someone telling me how to feel and how to critique a team. 

I just wanted to be right as I sit through these games?  Comme on man not at all. 

I'm not trying to pick a fight by any means but have you seen the board lately?  It's a bloodbath.

I have zero issue with approaching things with a healthy bit of skepticism, if you tell me something is incredible and awesome when evidence points to the contrary, my BS detector is going to be going off a little bit until proven otherwise.  Where it gets old is when day in and day out the vocal minority does nothing but harp and harp and harp.  I wanted Riley to work out, I really did and I'm disappointed it looks like he's going to be a failure.  

• Plus1 2