Enough with the fan abuse

tmfr15

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:23 PM, Hayseed said:

We need another mean coach. Let’s get Mangino.

I bumped into him in Kansas City. He asked me how to get to 435? I said exercise and diet. :thumbs

I think he's a good coach and OC. 

Edited by KCBuc
  • Plus1 4
20 hours ago, FTW said:

Damon Benning and Jason PETER both said on Big Red Wrap-Up that the word "NFL" wasn't allowed in the locker room or the practice field under Tom Osborne. He never made promises to players or painted some bright future for them. If you practiced hard, put in the effort on and off the field, you might get to play.

Tom would have never done what Riley did by putting Tanner Lee on a freaking pedestal before he ever played a snap in a Husker uniform. That was Riley's "Eichorst Moment."

How much of this was Riley and how much of it was the media (National and Local)?  Did Riley do anything to stem it?  No, but I don't really remember Riley saying he was anything but a good QB and that we were happy to have him.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

How much of this was Riley and how much of it was the media (National and Local)?  Did Riley do anything to stem it?  No, but I don't really remember Riley saying he was anything but a good QB and that we were happy to have him.

This is so true.  We bark for guys to give press conferences  and sound bites and then misconstrue what they say or over analyze what they didn't say.  E Gads, it's like we like to miserable.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, whateveritis1224 said:

He picked him to be one of our three representatives to B1G Media Days before he'd even played a snap.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

He picked him to be one of our three representatives to B1G Media Days before he'd even played a snap.

McKewon has been very critical of Riley’s approach before this season, and his reversal of opinion this past week after Ohio State.  Before the season, Riley said that he “really liked his team and especially what Lee could do at QB”.  Then after Ohio State, Riley’s tune changed and said that he still likes what they are “building, but they are still young, especially on defense”. Riley would have been better off preparing the media and the fans that this could be a tough season based on all the new starters and young players that were going to be playing, especially on defense. This is another miscalculation but Riley. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Lee ended up being a captain for the football team and they had been around him for over a year, doesn't seem like a stretch to think that he would be a good representative at Media Days for Nebraska this year.  The coaches felt confident in Lee.  Has he been good this year?  Started out terribly but he's played better these last few weeks.  

My main point it that it was the Media who was making Lee out to be the savior to what ails Nebraska's O and the only thing Riley did wrong is not telling people to take a step back.

• Plus1 2

11 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

McKewon has been very critical of Riley’s approach before this season, and his reversal of opinion this past week after Ohio State.  Before the season, Riley said that he “really liked his team and especially what Lee could do at QB”.  Then after Ohio State, Riley’s tune changed and said that he still likes what they are “building, but they are still young, especially on defense”. Riley would have been better off preparing the media and the fans that this could be a tough season based on all the new starters and young players that were going to be playing, especially on defense. This is another miscalculation but Riley. 

That's not exactly a new thing for them to do.

Remember in 2015? It was "we have the talent to compete, win championships, etc..."  Then we lose a bunch of games (that we shouldn't have) and it's suddenly a rebuilding job.

• Plus1 5
11 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Lee ended up being a captain for the football team and they had been around him for over a year, doesn't seem like a stretch to think that he would be a good representative at Media Days for Nebraska this year.  The coaches felt confident in Lee.  Has he been good this year?  Started out terribly but he's played better these last few weeks.  

My main point it that it was the Media who was making Lee out to be the savior to what ails Nebraska's O and the only thing Riley did wrong is not telling people to take a step back.

And Langsdorf did say that everyone needed to temper their expectations before the season. But the media kept pushing it. I believe it was in a Sipple article. 

On 10/19/2017 at 4:29 PM, tmfr15 said:

As Nebraska navigates through another tough season and probably a transition, there seems to be those fans and talking heads who want to put the focus on the fan and to somehow make the case that its our fault, the fault of the fan, that the program is in the shape it's in now.

Enough of that.

Damon Benning's talk on NET's Big Red Wrap got my blood boiling. He was talking about how we all need to just come together and tell everyone that the University of Nebraska comes first. We are not supposed to advocate for OUR guy in terms of favorite coach. If you like Scott Frost for HC, you aren't supposed to talk. Talk positively on any other coach but Mike Riley and prepare to get shamed. Also, don't leave the stadium early while we are getting blown out. Don't boo if you don't like what's happening on the field. And don't be critical of anything. Stop complaining and fall into line behind the program.

News Flash! It doesn't matter how many fans fall behind the program in robotic fashion, it will still come down to whether or not the University of Nebraska wants to hire a new coach or not. It comes down to whether or not the University of Nebraska hires a good coach or retains a good coach. It comes down to recruiting. It comes down to players doing their jobs. It comes down to the difficulty of opponents. It comes down to luck at times. It comes down to a 1,000 other things.

The fan is about 999th on the list.

As Ohio State beat Nebraska, there were fans around me who got up and headed for the gates. I didn't. I stayed the whole game. There were some fans who booed. I didn't. I tried to stay positive. There were some pretty upset people. I wasn't. I internalize that stuff.

And so Damon Benning thinks if everyone will just act like me, then our problems will be solved. He's wrong.

I get why people want to go home. Maybe they had work on Sunday. Maybe they just were not having a good time. And I am OK with that. I sure hope that we get this thing rolling in the right direction and those fans come back. I am sure that they will.

Nebraska fans have stuck behind this team. In the many times since, oh, about 2002, when we get drilled, I go to the stadium the next week and think that will be the week that the stadium is half empty at kick. Husker fans just keep showing up and keep cheering. Kudos to you guys. And even if, at some point in the future, the fans stop coming.... it won't be because they don't want the team to be successful. It will be because the games are simply too costly and not enough fun to make sense as an investment of significant dollars.

Ohio State is in the books. And we march on to Purdue hoping for the best.

In the meantime, if Nebraska struggles, I am hoping that people will keep it down with the "Fan is to blame!" nonsense.

It's hard on this fan's ears.

Thank you, I was so angry listening to Bennng.  I believe he is part of the problem. 

Thanks for your post

On 10/19/2017 at 5:30 PM, beorach said:

I've heard DB take calls from people whose blood was boiling in part because what he says on broadcasts about the state of the program isn't negative enough.  A guy might not share any insight but just wants to call it a dumpster fire and gets upset when DB isn't just going along.

Where's the balance?  Can't we be civil regardless?  Can we still support the kids under a new coach that we called garbage over and over the previous season?  I looked at them during the NI game and felt they deserved better but I don't know the whole story and never will.

I've noticed this season that some fans have been referring to people supporting the program in a negative fashion (implying they are stupid for still thinking MR might be the guy).

The internet used to be where all that happened but I don't know anymore.  It's tiresome to hear so many rules for being a fan.  I just figured it had to do with what you felt inside.  I'm not going to judge because we all have passion as fanatics...

You are right but I’ve also heard him be very rude and talk down to callers.  I used to appreciate his input, not anymore.  He has a hard time commenting without “I”

Jason Peter was on the Big Red wrap up and you could tell he knew what was going on.  Benning is all about himself .  What’s he done since college?  He’s a high school coach.  Just tired of the dude after his twitter rant with a woman, yeah he knew more, he always does.  

• Plus1 2