Poor Halloween!

The school's principal issued a letter to parents that reads in part: "The costume parade is out of our ordinary routine and can be difficult for many students. Also, the parade is not inclusive of all the students and it is our goal each and every day to ensure all student's individual differences are respected." 

Doesn't offend me at all...but one of the schools I taught at did a costume parade for the younger grades, they would come through each classroom and I would play the theme from Halloween while my students all say in their desks...I would dress up in a scary costume and sit at the front of the room, not moving at all, the little kids would file in and walk around the room and every now and then I would JUMP at one of them...they would freak out and then laugh.  Years later I would have those kids in class and they would say "I remember when we were in 1st grade and you jumped out and scared me" and I would laugh and say "nope, that wasn't me...I never dress up for Halloween...it must have been the ghost that lives in the school" and they would roll their eyes and laugh.

• Plus1 3

I noticed another school out east announced this a few weeks ago. The school said several students didn't celebrate Halloween and those students would often be pulled from class on the day of celebrations. It would also be a bit awkward for the teachers planning and discussing party plans with the students while other students (who weren't going to be taking part) had to sit there and listen.

Personally, I don't care that much about this. We stopped doing organized in-school Halloween activities in 7th grade. It's up to each school and their student body composition to make a decision.

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I noticed another school out east announced this a few weeks ago. The school said several students didn't celebrate Halloween and those students would often be pulled from class on the day of celebrations. It would also be a bit awkward for the teachers planning and discussing party plans with the students while other students (who weren't going to be taking part) had to sit there and listen.

Personally, I don't care that much about this. We stopped doing organized in-school Halloween activities in 7th grade. It's up to each school and their student body composition to make a decision.

Shoot, teachers don't organize it...Room Parents do!  :)

We stopped in 7th grade too.  I think we gave candy still but no costumes.  But at my high school we actually do celebrate it with a big party and movie.

The elementary school my kids attend(ed) doesn't allow dressing up for Halloween.  They stopped it a few years ago because the costumes were a distraction and some kids couldn't afford to bring one.  The funny thing is though I believe 6-7 of the 10 (the 3 that don't allow them are the more diverse income wise) elementary schools within our district still allow costumes and go all out with parties.  Our kids school still has "parties" run by parents but they have been cut from 60 minutes to closer to 30 minutes (what can you accomplish in that time?). 

This has been brought up by some parents (not us) to people within the superintendents office and it was passed along that it is up to each individual principal (which is BS because the douche that used to be at our school is now at another one with a different demographic and they have costumes).  They also said that the Trunk or Treat that takes place on the Friday evening before Halloween took the place of the costumes (again which BS because the other schools have both).

For the record we were disappointed about the costumes when they took them away and when we heard the reasoning because what was being shoveled was not adding up.  However there isn't anything anyone can do about it so we moved on.  We'll be there next Friday to run the "party" in our daughters class and then again in the evening with our trunk full of candy to pass out.

That was always my favorite day when the kids were in grade school. It was just beginning to start with some people throwing a fit about it and opting out. Luckily the PC, keep absolutely everyone happy crowd had not wrested control of things yet. Our principal would simply tell the one or two that had a problem with it that they could keep their kids home or they would be placed in a separate classroom and given “projects” to do. I really liked that guy. It started changing when my youngest was in fourth grade and they got a new principal. Seems there was always one or two kids or rather the parents of 1 or 2 that wanted to poop on everyone’s fun- Halloween, Christmas, field trips, etc. And then the one kid with peanut allergies that started preventing homemade treats. Yeah yeah I know that can be dangerous, you don’t need to flame me about it. But it did put a damper things.

Peanut allergies!  Those are a dominate topic now!

As far as arguing against halloween, I am not totally sure of the argument.  I think (not sure) that Pagans are for it...Satanists (I think) are for it (By they way...read up on them, they are freaking funny!)...most "faiths" don't care about it either way...as far as money for a costume, that is the great thing about costumes...anything is a costume!!

K-6...make the costumes at school so the kids get to work on a project.  Make it a "School Project Costume Competition" kids love that.

ED...I have been teaching for about 1 billion years now...I have never met an "anti" Halloween parent.  I am sure they are out there...I am also sure that they are wrong and need a kick in the pants.  Halloween is about candy and fun...if you are against that...you should shut the f#*k up.