What Could Have Been....

Mavric

21 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, I'm one of those.  We again picked on Tenn and beat them badly in the Fiesta Bowl repeating our 1997 performance.   And the 2000 team was better than the 2001 team that played in the NC game.  Outside of that Texas fumble, I would have ranked the 99 team a hair's breath lower than the 97 team.   95,71, 97, 94, 99, 93, 70, 82, 83, 01, 87, 72 might be how I would rank our top  teams- plenty of room for debate however .

You pretty much nailed it. Don't forget we had some darn good teams in the 60's that might fit in there. Solich played on a couple.

GBR!!!

17 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Isle

Frank is not a great HC and he wasn't a great HC at NU - please stop.  He was given a solid program and couldn't keep it going.  Did he get a fair shot?  that is up for discussion, however even if we 100% agreed that he didn't get a fair shot that doesn't make it ok to declare him the 3rd GREAT HC at NU.

And that's pretty much what people were saying about Osborne after 6 years.  

1 minute ago, Isle of View said:

And that's pretty much what people were saying about Osborne after 6 years.  

That is a very true statement, however that is not a reason to declare somebody great (might have been great but didn't get there - no guessing allowed when it comes to declaring past history.....

3 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

Sounds like you have some proof.  Let's see it.  Put up or take it to Rumorville where it belongs.

odd statement considering you are trying to decide how FS career at NU would have finished if he wasn't messing around and got the shot that you feel he deserved.

Edited by GBRFAN

Solich is a legacy Husker.  He's still in the Husker record books.  He had an incredible run as an assistant coach and was the handpicked successor of the greatest coach of all time.  He won Big 12 Coach of the year honors, won a championship, played for a national championship and coached a Heisman winner.  

And some so called Husker fans want to continually drag him through the mud.  Frankly (pun intended), it's disgusting.

Just now, Husker_Bohunk said:

Frank was  far from great, on or off the field, well...I'll concede that he was a great running backs coach but that's it.

Look at the quality of athletes in 2003 compared to what he inherited. If you're honest with yourself you'll see a huge difference and  imo, that's why Frank kept losing the big games later during his tenure at NU.

If he was truly as great as you think he is, then answer this, why has he not been snatched up by another P5 school in the 14(?) years since he was fired by NU?

A lot of reasons.  He's a native of Ohio.  He didn't have that many years left.  And Nebraska is the only P5 school that hires 60+ year old coaches.

And you might want to look at how many players on the '03 squad signed NFL contracts.

On 10/20/2017 at 9:45 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't hold it against Osborne for retiring from coaching when he did.  Yes, it would have been great to have him stick around another 5-10 years, but he wanted to try doing other things while he was still relatively young.  It's unfortunate that NU wasn't able to continue the dominance (or even something close to that) with all the coaches and AD's that have been around since then, but I'm not going to be "upset" with TO.

I’m upset with him. He never gave me the opportunity to witness a Nebraska National Championship. Just kidding TO is one of the nicest guys out there and I’m really thankful I got to meet him. Husker football wouldn’t be half of what it is today without him. 

1 hour ago, Isle of View said:

Sounds like you have some proof.  Let's see it.  Put up or take it to Rumorville where it belongs.

Solich, 61, appeared to be passed out when police found him
Saturday night in his car, which was facing the wrong direction on
a one-way street and in drive, according to a police report.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=2240823

BTW- I like Frank but this pretending he was a choir boy and irreplaceable HC needs to stop. The problem wasn’t that he was fired but rather with who and how he was replaced. Pederson went outside the family and totally changed direction which resulted in the dismantling of the machine.

Edited by El Diaco
  • Plus1 1
On October 20, 2017 at 4:59 PM, GBRFAN said:

Isle

Frank is not a great HC and he wasn't a great HC at NU - please stop.  He was given a solid program and couldn't keep it going.  Did he get a fair shot?  that is up for discussion, however even if we 100% agreed that he didn't get a fair shot that doesn't make it ok to declare him the 3rd GREAT HC at NU.

Um, who would be our third best HC if not Frank?  Numbers would support him being exactly that.  Pelini?  He will never rate, he never was committed to Husker nation.  

• Plus1 1